V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tore my 120 r down to install a diff. set of cams.
this what I found @ 15,000 miles.these are the
SE lifters that come stock in the 120 r crate motor.
I ran these with the stock +.030 SE pushrods.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What lifters did you replace them with?

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vern Ott.
Vern has been doing lifters for years. velva touch is the main company.
from what I understand these lifters I got, are a line Vern sells to racers. local racer swears by them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Im trying Comp Cams 875-1s in my build. Are your new lifters quiet?

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im trying Comp Cams 875-1s in my build. Are your new lifters quiet?
Valve train is real quiet,until it hits 280 deg head temp.then there is some noise from the roller rockers.
hog bag
it looks to me like the case harding is flaking on one lifter.while the others have worn it off completely. Someone else mentioned they might have been too hard.

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
what oil? i hope not amsoil!!

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Tore my 120 r down to install a diff. set of cams.
this what I found @ 15,000 miles.these are the
SE lifters that come stock in the 120 r crate motor.
I ran these with the stock +.030 SE pushrods.

wonder if HD would like to see what you have? that is not many miles and that appeasrs to be a serious quality issue.
happy

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I have seen issues with SE lifters like this. I can't believe they charge 250+ for a set of these. I have also seen them not pump up in a new build. The "big" hd shop here pushes these things like crack, they won't even stock anything else.
No way it had amsoil in it, amsoil would have prevented this and gave the motor an extra 15hp......j/k:redrolf:

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
wonder where the **** that flaked off that roller is now?....hmmmm

·
Registered
793 Posts
too hard??? no . low case possibly, I would like to get my hands on one and cut it at work to see how deep the case is, after a rockwell check.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
too hard??? no . low case possibly, I would like to get my hands on one and cut it at work to see how deep the case is, after a rockwell check.
going to rockwell check these,
would be nice to know what a brand new one was.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Jim: Hard to tell from the pics but any chance the cam is transfering to the lifter roller instead?
Ron

·
Registered
275 Posts
You will like those lifters,they are made for high lift cams like yours.
Set them @ .080 preload and let it eat...:)
Thats what Im told. Alot easier than installing travel limiters and I got the lifters shipped for under $56. Cant beat that.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thats what Im told. Alot easier than installing travel limiters and I got the lifters shipped for under $56. Cant beat that.
Fine and dandy but after two attempts I still don't have 4 matching lifters. They told me they look different but will work the same.:whatever: Not impressed with Comp Cam.
Ron

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jim: Hard to tell from the pics but any chance the cam is transfering to the lifter roller instead?
Ron
I dont think so ron,look at the one that is flaking. (attachment)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fine and dandy but after two attempts I still don't have 4 matching lifters. They told me they look different but will work the same.:whatever: Not impressed with Comp Cam.
Ron
Looked at all 4 and they are all the exact same. Ive used Comp Cams hydraulic and solid rollers in my sbc's with zero issues.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Boy am i happy i bought stock in B lifters before they were gone locally. :whistle:

Has anyone pulled a set of well used Wood lifters yet?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts