V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What performance difference is there between the $140 A/C kit, verses just a $60 k&n filter in the stock cleaner with a few more drilled holes in the backplate?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Best value for performance...

Split the difference and get ahold of the Arlen Ness Big Sucker Kit.... The backing plate is better than the SE, and the filter is the same type.... all for less than the SE kit... The K&N drop in doesn't have the available cross section of area to have air flowing into it... Even if you drill the holes in the backing plate... I found that out when I had my Barge dyno'd.... Long story short... Do the AN Filter assy, you won't be disappointed....

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Got to agree with DevilHog. I put a Arlen Ness on my 2002 FXST. It looks good, very easy to put on and the bike can BREATHE. Nice roar from the carb too. Got mine on E-bay for about $95. I see them alot cheaper than that.

Greg

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Re: Best value for performance...

DevilHog said:
Split the difference and get ahold of the Arlen Ness Big Sucker Kit....
There's been alot of bitching about AN Big Sucker Kits lately. Seems AN switched manufacturers to control costs, resulting in an inferior product, specifically, the backing plate is now a POS.

wyo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wyodude, that was my concern. After all the negative comments concerning the Ness, I have never heard bad things about SE. So I guess the census is that just a filter isn't worth it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
For folks that like quiet intakes the K&N for the stock box is the way to go. For preformance bang for the buck hard to beat the S/E.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Here's a study done by one of the biker rags:

Air Cleaner dyno test on a 2000 FLSTC w/SE Slip On Mufflers and CV carb

Filter Horsepower Torque
Stock 55.1 71.7
Stock with 195 Main Jet 57.8 73.6
K&N Filter in Stock Box 59.8 73.5
SE Carb kit with filter 63.7 74.8
Drag Specialities Dragtron 63.0 75.4
Kuryakyn Twin Velocity 62.9 73.9