V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a set of SE II slip-ons on my '02 Wide Glide (1135 miles).

(I know, still restrictive and not the loudest, but I like 'em and it did have a kick-in-the-pants effect.)

In the box was a couple of pop-rivets that are supposed to be installed through the SEs and into the pipes. Are they just a 'safety' factor add-on? I cranked all the nuts to specs and it seems to be nice and tight.

Also, with just the add-on of the SE's should I have my carb 'tweeked'?

When I took off the stock mufflers, there was a fair amount of soot that came out of the bottom one and deposited it on the top one.

There is a some poppin' on decel (through the mufflers), but it doesn't happen all the time.

Haven't pulled the plugs to see them yet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What..............nobody knows?

or

Nobody cares!!! :(

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Low Flyer, I had the SEII Slip Ons on my FXDL for about two months prior to doing the Air Cleaner and didn't do the jets. I'd have to dig the instructions out but I seem to recall that if you just do the exhaust and not the cleaner that the jets would be O.K. It is lean but if you don't unrestrict the intake it's not too lean. I don't think I would run it long term this way. I changed mine last week for the Cycle Shacks and they are way louder. As for the rivet, the Cycle Shacks came with that also and the instructions (albeit not very clearly) indicated that the rivet was for 94-97 Dyna's. I didn't use it and they are plenty sturdy. Enjoy.......

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Lowflyer,

I just had the Stage 1 EFI kit (including reflash) and SE slip-ons (PN# 65115-98B) installed on my 02 RK last Friday (2160 miles).

Definitely sounds better. I notice a little more poop when I gas it. I too have occasional popping on deceleration. I posted on another thread that I can eliminate the popping by completely releasing any twist on the throttle.

Yesterday, I noticed two pops that seemed to come from the air filter region.

Having read many posts here, it seems like deviation from stock can lead to small imperfections in the intake/exhaust balance, which is manifested by burps, pops, farts, etc.
Those that have asked their dealer have gotten the "its normal all Harleys do it" reply.

Based on the above and the fact that the bike seems to run great ( I did around 200 miles on Saturday) I'm gonna not swaet it and just ride the bad boy.

Regards,

wyo

·
Registered
86 Posts
I put Screaming Eagle 1 mufflers on my 99 FXDS the first day I brought it home. Put screaming eagle air cleaner and required kit and did the jet thing. No pins in my mufflers either and they too are sturdy. I’m not sure but I have been told that Cycle Shack made my Screaming Eagles mufflers before Harley changed vendors, weather that is true or not I don’t know, but I’m very happy with them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts