V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Arse Hole and Good at it
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the SE High Comp Pistons on a 95 build with ported heads and a 37g cam? Or the tw6g cam? :hmmm:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 05 Night Train, and I run the SE High Comp cast pistons (10.25:1) on a 95 build with ported heads, cometic MLS gasket, and an Andrews 55g cam......I have no pinging issues, motor is very quiet, but does have a lumpy idle.

·
Arse Hole and Good at it
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other than the idle, how well does the build work? Performance and daily driven? Fuel mileage? Over heating? I live in central cali and it gets pretty warm here in the summer, I would think with that kind of compression, it would seem to run a little on the heated side of things. I do some, not alot, of 2 up riding but mostly just me and some guys from work running around town and up in the hills here. Plans are to make some long runs this coming summer, up and down the coast and to a few rallies, so I want to know I will make it there and back with no worries.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
06 Nighttrain said:
Other than the idle, how well does the build work? Performance and daily driven? Fuel mileage? Over heating? I live in central cali and it gets pretty warm here in the summer, I would think with that kind of compression, it would seem to run a little on the heated side of things. I do some, not alot, of 2 up riding but mostly just me and some guys from work running around town and up in the hills here. Plans are to make some long runs this coming summer, up and down the coast and to a few rallies, so I want to know I will make it there and back with no worries.
The principal issue is cranking pressure. Use of high compression pistons with early closing cam events leads to very high cylinder cranking pressures (i.e., >200 psi).

Two things you can do: (1) use compression releases and (2) use a high output starter. And definitely use 91+ octane fuel.

I don't think you'll have any issues with reliability or excess heat.

·
Arse Hole and Good at it
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I aready run 91+ fuel, the compression at cranking, I had already thought about that and when I have the heads worked Im going to have them machined for the compression relief valves. I wasnt sure about the heat or the ablity to drive everyday and long trips. Still playing with ideas and different parts. Ive got about 10 pages of different builds and parts and tring to narrow them down now. Still have about a month or 2 of riding left before we hit the rainy and fog season out here and thats when I plan on doing the build. Ive still got some time to try and figure this out and Im still open for other ideas as well. Thanks and keep sending the ideas and thoughts this way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
06 Nighttrain said:

This is just my humble opinion, but if had to do it over again, I would do my next bike with exactly the same build combo, no doubt about it. With the 55G cam, I used the SE high comp pistons (10.25:1) with no ping or overheating problems so far and I've sat in some serious traffic and ride this bike everywhere. Not to mention it cranks over easily enough with the stock starter, fires right up and no compression releases needed (nice money savings there). I wouldn't hesitate to ride up and down the coast, as it's been rock solid so far. It runs strong from idle and beyond 2500 rpm or so, it pulls like you wouldn't believe. Suprisingly enough, my gas mileage actually went up after this build, provided I don't twist it too much. I run a mikuni 42 on it. In fact, this combination turned out so well, I am doing an identical build this winter on my brother-in-laws 04 night train, the only difference is, his bike is fuel injected. One of the key ingredients for a good build with the 55G cam is to have someone, who knows what their doing (Dewey?) port your heads.....Hope this helps and good luck with your build. Let us know how it goes.

·
Arse Hole and Good at it
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info on your build. Looks like I will be ordering the pistons this weekend from Zanotti's. I got a set of stock juggs off of ebay a few weeks back, so as soon as the pistons get here I will send everything out to have the juggs punched out. Still looking for a set of stock heads, may try getting a hold of Dewey to see if he has some laying around. Like to have all the parts here and ready to go for when I start the build it will go pretty fast. The ride season here is pretty much year round except for the few days it rains here in Feb/Mar. Thanks again 88. :beer4u: :beer4u:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts