V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been beaten to death..
How do screaming eagle heads compare to have stock heads ported? I've seen them new on ebay around $600+. Some port jobs run the same.

Only thing I don't like is they say SE on them. I like plain.

I am just about ready to do 98":banana:

Appreciae any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
the S/E heads tend to still be too restrictive. with the 98" build you would be better goinmg to cnc ported heads.
i did alot of searching and finally pulled the trigger yesterday with GMR performance 98" kit new Tappets and cnc a set of take off heads i
i already have Andrews 37 cams.
i didnt want to down my bike and wait for parts.
i sure didnt want to advertise the work gone into the motor

i like sleepers :corn:

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
The SE Performance heads have gotten good reports but on a 98" build, HDWrench would be the one to ask. If you want to spend the bucks, The HTCC CNC heads are the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
With the right cam, the S.E. heads work excellent, GMR can tell you more. With the typical street build with modest cams, ported stock heads are more than adequate.

·
Ridin it like I stole it!
217 Posts
baggersport said:
With the right cam, the S.E. heads work excellent, GMR can tell you more. With the typical street build with modest cams, ported stock heads are more than adequate.
In your experience/opinion what's the right cam for the SE Heads?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Taking out the "getting a deal thing" by the time you buy SE heads from the dealer and then port them you have spent a good chunk of money. That is not saying that the se heads do not perform. I like the CNC head the best , it really has shown some good numbers in the past, cost wise though they are pricey.

Depending on what you have now and what you are working towards would all come into play. WE CNC port heads that offer 150cfm of flow full radius valve job, d-port exhaust, new guides, valves, and seals, decking the head, hand finished all of this for 650. This type of head is a great 37g head( that is what we named it) IT has great flow numbers, and the velocity is fantanstic, Hence a 98 inchkit, add that 37,g cam and everything you need to complete the build.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have not heard of anyone doing the radiused valve jobs since about the time lead was taken out of gasoline.
Seems pretty well proven that multi angle valve work has shown better flow and durability in industry and racing.
Is there a reason to go back to the radiused valve seats?

·
Registered
82 Posts
SE heads vs ?

Most decent head porters can make a stock head out perform the std S.E. head. The C.N.C S.E. head is another story The cnced heads flow @ 240 cfm at .400 lift with a 94 cc port.A stock head flows @ 202 cfm at 400 with a 76 cc port the S.E std head flows @ 215 cfm at 400 with a 86cc port.A god set of ported stock heads will flow @ 225 cfm at 400 with a 85 to 86 cc port.The flow bench is not the final word in head choice or development.It is a tool just like wrench or screwdriver "IN THE WRONG HANDS A WEAPON".It is ez to see that the larger the port more flow.That is the hard part about porting Geting good flow with the proper port volume for the displacement,cams ect.
VALVE SEATS a radius seat works better on the exhaust and if still inuse in most forms of racing. multi angle works best on the intake. The intake likes sharp edges.They grab the air and help turn it into the cylinder.Air wants to attach to something. A typical hi flow racing style seat for the intake may look like this Top angle 45 seat angle 55 bottom angles 68 and 72 degrees.The steeper seat angle promotes better hi lift flow
The exhaust may use a 45 to 48 top angle 55 seat and a radius bottom cut.
We will use different angles depending on cam,flow and type of use.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Thanks al you said what I would have. WE have found that it works both on the flow bench and the dyno, so we add that to the package.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guess that answer my question. Sounds like getting stock heads ported is better. One of the reasons I was thinking about SE heads, is could get them quick.

Looks like I need to get my butt out in the garage and pull the heads

·
Registered
63 Posts
Now that you have made up your mind I will add my 2 cents. I had a set of the SE Performance heads that did very well out of the box. My motor did not have quite the top end HP I thought it should even though I was only running a TC1 cam with the other upgrades. I sent my stock heads off to R and D PROformance and had them ported. they came back and I have the before and after dyno. I picked up 3 ft. lbs of torque and almost that much HP. Ended up with 98.5 torque and 83 HP. It does'nt sound like much but my power came on about 200 RPM sooner and stayed about 250 RPM longer. It was a noticeable difference and I do not have any markings on my heads. To me it was well worth the extra $150.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
This site shows a little better numbers for the SE heads , and again if ported they certainly flow a lot more http://www.venturiracing.com/

Flowbench testing results are shown below for a stock Screamin Eagle T/C 88 head

Intake Valve Dia - 1.940 Exhaust Valve Dia - 1.610 Inches of Water - 28

Intake

Lift Scale .100 .200 .300 .350 .400 .450 .500 .550 .600
Stock
69 128 184 206 220 229 230 230 226
Modified
71 130 192 213 228 240 247 255 260

Exhaust

Lift Scale .100 .200 .300 .350 .400 .450 .500 .550 .600
Stock - 1.615 Exhaust
50 104 139 154 164 170 175 179 180
Modified
46 102 142 156 170 177 186 190 194

Testing was done on site on a Superflow 600 flowbench.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alot of talk about CFM, and people agree thats not the final say so and dyno is. But I wonder if its to much for me. Will I be able to utilize this? Is it useable over entire speed range?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I had this posted before here is our cnc ported head for a cost of 650 Our numbers are very close and we are using stock size valves, velocity is fantanstic on these they are a great mild build head. Based on the cost of a se head and the numbers of a stock one your are money ahead with porting of your stock heads, now even at cost of SE heads and porting the gains are min over a ported stock head. So at that point you are way ahead money wise. Not wanting to say se heads are junk or that our are the best only comparing what you can do to a stock head on a budget.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was only considering SE, cause on the shelf item. If the numbers were the same I may have done gone that route. But if geting ported is best, I will do that. Should have started working on my bike in January. Should be doing it now, instead of typing.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I'd agree that having heads ported and matched to your cams is the best bet.
I noticed that from a flow perspective , there wasn't much advantage past .50, my cams are .510 intake and exhaust and with out porting the SE heads, it looks as though at least CFM wise I'm in the pretty much optimum flow area.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Consider this............ If you're willing to drop $600 on a set of S.E. heads, if you have enough patience, purchase a set of take-off stock heads (available everywhere, max price $200) and send them to a head porter. You can recoup your initial cost for the heads if you decide to sell your take-offs.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heading out to the garage tonight, start stripping the bike down. Can have them off pretty quick, depending how much I screw off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts