V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running httc heads which call for colder plug, ex12p. never been impressed w/splitfires. Crossed them on spark plugs.com and came up w/splitfire number colder than standard twin cam number. cross ref. that plug and came up with autolite 4162 (do like autolites in my evo). Used 4162 to check applications for plug and came up w/v rod. My dealer was totally in dark, checked w/another hd dealer and they stated they use v rod plugs all the time in s/e heads. Question-anyone used either autolite 4162 or v rod (hd) plug in their twin cam s/e heads and any feedback?

·
Registered
111 Posts
4162 is two ranges colder than a stock HD 6R12. That's a pretty cold plug. I've run CNC HTCC heads on both a 95" and a 107" and usually run stock heat range in the winter, one colder in the summer.

4163 is one colder in Autolite, 4164 is stock.

NGK's are also good, DCPR7E is stock, DCPR8E one colder, DCPR9E is two colder.

Be aware that any plug other than stock may give false knock sense indications or trigger trouble codes on the Delphi EFI bikes. Different SE maps may have different knock sense mapping and be more prone to cause trouble codes or activate the knock sense threshold, which can result in overly retarded spark and power loss with the higher compression ratio motors.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I run the non-ported HTCC heads, carbureted, 10.5:1 CR and use the NGK's DCPR8E (one step colder). I would get a slight ping upon starting out in 1st gear with the stock heat range during summer months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts