V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I was wondering if it´s possible to change my SE 1550 Big Bore cylinders into
the SE Bigger Bore Cylinders without changing the stock flywheel and ported stock heads. Is it possible??
Also wich piston can I use? The SE BiggerBore pistons require 103+ heads and
stroker flywheel?!?! That´s what I read in the SE catalogue...

Thank you!

Regards from good old Germany!

SHABBES

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Just so you know, you have to split the cases and bore the spigot holes to fit the bigger bore cylinders, it's not just a bolt on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...
So when I have to split the case and bore the spigot holes, it´s not so much
more labor to install a stroker flywheel. But another 1.500,- bucks for the FW...
;o(
I thought it would be an alternative to take the bigger bore cylinders instead of
the normal big bore cylinders...

Regards,
SHABBES

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
SHABBES said:
Hmm...
So when I have to split the case and bore the spigot holes, it´s not so much
more labor to install a stroker flywheel. But another 1.500,- bucks for the FW...
;o(
I thought it would be an alternative to take the bigger bore cylinders instead of
the normal big bore cylinders...

Regards,
SHABBES
There would be little point to boring the cases and using the extra large bore SE cylinders without also using the recommended 103 flywheels. I think it would be difficult to find pistons in that bore with the standard 88" stroke. Also, they are a oine-shot deal. I don't think there is any room for a cleanup bore later on.

Figuring HD parts and machine work, you are talking big $$$$$$$$. This of course is no reason not to do it. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so far!
I have an offer from a HD Tuner for an 1750 upgrade.
They produce their own bigger bore cylinders.
The whole kit comes with
1750 Torquemaster Cylinders
cams and HSR 42 carb.
Or you can upgrade this kit with a S&S flywheel to 1920cc
Take a look
www.gr-sohn.com

The only thing that stops me doin´this build are the costs!
They charge 4.600,- US $ for the 1750cc :crying:
That´s why I thought about the SE bigger bore...:hmmm:

Regards,
SHABBES

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
SHABBES said:
Thank you so far!
I have an offer from a HD Tuner for an 1750 upgrade.
They produce their own bigger bore cylinders.
The whole kit comes with
1750 Torquemaster Cylinders
cams and HSR 42 carb.
Or you can upgrade this kit with a S&S flywheel to 1920cc
Take a look
www.gr-sohn.com

The only thing that stops me doin´this build are the costs!
They charge 4.600,- US $ for the 1750cc :crying:
That´s why I thought about the SE bigger bore...:hmmm:

Regards,
SHABBES

If it makes you feel any better, I just spent $3600 for the parts to go from 88ci to 98ci, and I am doing the labor myself. Go for it!:chopper:

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
You oughta check the price for a RevTech or S & S huge bore motor. If you could sell your existing 88", the cost difference would then be a lot less for a bolt in brand new huge bore with a warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already have a 95" SE build in my FLSTF. Runnin´very good.
But still lookin´ for a bit more....=devil=

SHABBES

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Mike H. said:
If it makes you feel any better, I just spent $3600 for the parts to go from 88ci to 98ci, and I am doing the labor myself. Go for it!:chopper:
Why so much?

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Mike H. said:
That number kinda floored me too...I'm a couple hundred over 2k with a new carb/intake and stainless fasteners...howcome???

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The bigger bore set up as Springer stated you need to split the case then bore them. If you decide to go that route I would build a 107 or a 114, you use your stock crank and bor ethe case's to allow a larger cylinder to fit into the case. You will then have a over square set up. And you will be money ahead over the SE set up.

I do a fair amount of 107's but the 114 set is the most popular as there is no extra cost to go from 107 to 114 kit wise. A mild 114 will make 130/130 and that is on a modest budget.

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
That number kinda floored me too...I'm a couple hundred over 2k with a new carb/intake and stainless fasteners...howcome???
I'm hoping that the reason is I needed more stuff that you did. Either that, or I'm an idiot for just trusting someone and not shopping around first. Everyone needs to make money, but I'm gonna be really pissed off if I got raped!

I got the 98" barrels and pistons, with rings already fitted, W37G cam with gear drive and bearings, installed and backlashed on my cam plate, "stage 1" job on my own heads with new valves and seals, cometic kit, lifters, oil spring, Crane Hi4, polished mikuni 42, and custom hi flow air cleaner to replace my SE kit.

Am I in the ballpark?

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Mike H. said:
I'm hoping that the reason is I needed more stuff that you did. Either that, or I'm an idiot for just trusting someone and not shopping around first. Everyone needs to make money, but I'm gonna be really pissed off if I got raped!

I got the 98" barrels and pistons, with rings already fitted, W37G cam with gear drive and bearings, installed and backlashed on my cam plate, "stage 1" job on my own heads with new valves and seals, cometic kit, lifters, oil spring, Crane Hi4, polished mikuni 42, and custom hi flow air cleaner to replace my SE kit.

Am I in the ballpark?
I don't know what a carb and cran Hi4 cost but i have the 98 kit from HD wrench with 37g cams gear drives and bearings and headwork lifters, seals ,oil spring, everything needed, plus tool rental .
I will have to install the cams and bearings, but i don't think it will be that big of a deal.
I'm around 1200 less than you

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Easy guys no one got raped here. Prices are the same for all members. Mike has a polished 42 mik, A crane ign , 325 a/c kit a billet a/c cover, as well as i am fitting the rings and his cam install. Mike has a very nice build.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
mori55 said:
I don't know what a carb and cran Hi4 cost but i have the 98 kit from HD wrench with 37g cams gear drives and bearings and headwork lifters, seals ,oil spring, everything needed, plus tool rental .
I will have to install the cams and bearings, but i don't think it will be that big of a deal.
I'm around 1200 less than you
Like i said i didn't know what a carb or ignition and miscellanious items cost.
Steve no one is accusing you of anything i didn't know you were doing the build.
When you first see the post it seems high, but after you see what the carb and ignition etc cost then it understandable.

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
My apologies

HDWRENCH said:
Easy guys no one got raped here. Prices are the same for all members. Mike has a polished 42 mik, A crane ign , 325 a/c kit a billet a/c cover, as well as i am fitting the rings and his cam install. Mike has a very nice build.
:whistle:

Sometimes my mouth runs before my brain is fully engaged, sort of like the clunk you get when shifting into first on a cold start. Steve has treated me well as a customer, and has provided invaluable direction during this whole process. His prices are fair, and sometimes even better, if your catch a lucky batch of stuff on a special deal (like the blem kits, and other high volume purchases).

Thanks, Steve, for taking the time out (while still working) to give me a call and straighten things out. This is a first class operation!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts