V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a weird question. Right now my bike is stock. I'm going to install a SE air kit and mufflers on my 2000 FLHRI in the next few weeks. I want to install them myself to save some $$$$. Will it hurt to install the parts myself and then ride the bike to the shop to have the download done? It's about $50 labor to have them installed, which seems like a waste of $$$ on such simple items. Any input or experience will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
It may or may not run real good but it will get you there and won't hurt anything. At best it will be running lean and maybe ping some. Don't lug it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My buddy has a '01 Softtail and did exactly what you want to do. Changed to SE air cleaner and SE slip ons and rode to the dealer (approx 12 miles / some city most highway) He took his time and did not get on the bike hard and has had no problems. Good Luck!

·
Banned
999 Posts
did you ever notice how THEY try to scare you into getting rudimentary work done at the dealer. give you all kinds of dire predictions about the consequences of doing this or that.

reality is that H/Ds aircooled motors are kind of crude and overbuilt and I would be willing to bet that nothing would happen if you rode it 100,000 miles before you got around to getting a remap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts