V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my K&N element for the SE air filter assembly Tuesday. I had the SE assembly installed as part of the Stage 1 upgrade when I purchased my RK Classic in June.

I've now ridden to work two days, about 85 miles round trip. The seat-of-the-pants dyno says the engine is definately more responsive, most noticeably so as the rpm's increase. I would like to have been able to do a before and after check on a chassis dyno. I'm telling you, this is a change that for my bike was money well spent.
All of a sudden it's more fun to ride (and I didn't think that was possible!)

Any one else replaced the original HD SE element iwth the K&N yet?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Glad you are happy! Be sure and keep it serviced. Should be serviced at every oil change or sooner. On my bike I run an open filter with just an insert cover(no football) so it get's dirty alot faster, can really feel the difference when I service the filter. Running it open, I service about every 1000 miles or so.
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
"I service about every 1000 miles or so." You must be running in some pretty tough conditions. I am running an open filter and after 10,000 miles the darn thing is still does not need cleaning.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Mtclassic said:
"I service about every 1000 miles or so." You must be running in some pretty tough conditions. I am running an open filter and after 10,000 miles the darn thing is still does not need cleaning.
You gotta be kidding!!! Are you sure? They should be serviced at regular service intervals. I can easily feel the difference after cleaning. I live in a pretty dusty little town but nothing I'd call "tough conditions"

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
adlerx, I checked the K&N web site and they recommend a service every 50 to 100,000 miles in normal street use. The filter works best if it is a little dirty as the dust particles absorb oil and stop other particles from getting thru the filter material. I know mine is working because I had an oil analysis done and I was very low on the silicon scale and I know it is breathing correctly because I had it on the dyno and it made the same power with the filter on as it did with it off. I myself would not leave it go 50,000 miles but on the otherhand I won't clean it unless it needs it.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
MT classic, you are running it open, What does it look like? At about 1000-1500 miles, mine is dry and dark grey, not pink any more and if you hold it up to the light, none shows through. When I clean it, the cleaning stuff is completely black with no transperency to it What am I missing or doing wrong?
I am certainly willing to learn something here. I wanna do it the right way but 50-100,000 miles without service?? give me a break...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Mine looks fine and I agree I would not leave it go for 50-100,000 miles but that's the K&N company not me:hmmm: . This is just a thought and nothing more, but it is possible you are putting too much oil on and attracting too much dust. Your bike may be running lean to begin with and when you service your air cleaner with too much oil it does not allow as much air to pass which essentially causes your bike to richen up a little. Just a thought and nothing more. On the other hand if you like cleaning it and it makes you feel good keep up the good work. Heck there was a time in my life when I used to change oil every 1000 miles because I wanted to not because I had to.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Well, if anything, I'm not putting enough oil on it, I use it very sparingly. I wonder if this could be the problem? Oh well, I'll just keep servicing it when i think I need to, can't hurt I guess. Thanks for your input.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Not enough oil will prevent it from filtering properly.
It should be a uniform pink inside and out when oiled properly. If you get too much oil on it, it is more red in color. Not enough and it is a grayish pink with some white filter area showing. It seems to be a fine line between enough and too much.
I usually clean mine every 5k to 7.5k just because I can.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
LittleBear said:
Not enough oil will prevent it from filtering properly.
It should be a uniform pink inside and out when oiled properly. If you get too much oil on it, it is more red in color. Not enough and it is a grayish pink with some white filter area showing. It seems to be a fine line between enough and too much.
I usually clean mine every 5k to 7.5k just because I can.
Thanks Bear, I think I'm getting mine just right by your description. Just a question, how long does yours stay pink after you service it?

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well when I was younger only about 15 minutes, but now, I rather not say.:whistle:
Generaly the filter will still show some pink at 5k miles. You can see the dirt on it, but you can still see the oil also. It looks more like a burnt red at this point in some spots and pretty dark on other areas of the filter.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
From K&N Instructions:

"K&N air filter oil is a compound of mineral and animal oil blended with a special polymer to form a very eficient tack barrier. Red dye is added to show just where you have applied the oil. Eventually the red color will fade but the oil will remain and filter the air.

Service every 50,000-100,000 miles on street driven applications. Service more often in off-road or heavy dust conditions............ Let the dirt "build-up" work for you; it will not hurt the performance and actually help filter the air."

:coffee:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts