V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an HD mechanic tell me SE doesn't make a filter kit for the 06 models. Yet the parts books list one and few people have stated they run one but swapped out the paper filter for the K&N.
Did they in fact change the backing plate for 06 and if so what are they using in their stage 1-2 kits?
If any of you are running one on an 06 with EFI please list the part#. Thanks

·
Bike Addict
84 Posts
If you look at Harley's web site, they list the same stage 1 kit (29773-02B) for the 2006 that they used for 2005. If that be the case, then the K&N air filter is part number HD-0800 (listed on K&N's web site). Hope this helps! :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
s.e a/c

HR1961 said:
I had an HD mechanic tell me SE doesn't make a filter kit for the 06 models. Yet the parts books list one and few people have stated they run one but swapped out the paper filter for the K&N.
Did they in fact change the backing plate for 06 and if so what are they using in their stage 1-2 kits?
If any of you are running one on an 06 with EFI please list the part#. Thanks
THE PART# 29440-99c it has a paper filter. h-d dosnt make a stage one map for a/c and mufflers. The 06 bikes run very lien from the factory so be careful. what bike is it anyway?

·
?????
3,531 Posts
HR1961 said:
I had an HD mechanic tell me SE doesn't make a filter kit for the 06 models. If any of you are running one on an 06 with EFI please list the part#. Thanks
Ssssh....don't say that to loud around my 06 Ultra with the Stage 1 air cleaner kit, SE Pro mufflers and SERT, it might hear you and reject the upgrades.:) The part number is 29773-02B, this is the kit that has the crappy papper filter, K&N sells a replacement part number HD-0800 you can bag it from here http://www.fox-performance.com for $39.00 delivered. Some folks are buying just the SE back plate and other needed odds and ends and then the K&N filter and saving a few bucks. I don't have all the part numbers on hand, but I'm sure someone does. If you do the AC make sure you get the map, if your doing AC and mufflers your going to need something to add more fuel with such as a Power Commander, DFO or the SERT. If you figure on doing more performance mods such as a build in the future spend the bucks on a SERT now and be done with it.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Screamin' Eagle® Chrome Air Cleaner Backplate Kit 29510-05
Gasket 29583-01
Plug, breather (2) 29557-05
“O”-ring (2) 11292
Stud, air cleaner mounting (3) 29447-99A
Screw, button head, 1/4-20 x 3/8 in. long (3) 3938

K&N Filter (K&N Part Number) HD-0800

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I needed more ammo before I started argueing with the mechanic. Just goes to show that just because they work there they can still be wrong. This was the last thing I needed. I will piece this together with the K&N filter, DFO and S&S mufflers. This site is great! Thanks again.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,644 Posts
backplate

MegaGlide said:
Screamin' Eagle® Chrome Air Cleaner Backplate Kit 29510-05
Gasket 29583-01
Plug, breather (2) 29557-05
“O”-ring (2) 11292
Stud, air cleaner mounting (3) 29447-99A
Screw, button head, 1/4-20 x 3/8 in. long (3) 3938

K&N Filter (K&N Part Number) HD-0800
You don't happen to have the stock number for the standard SE backplate? If so, could I have it? I can't see paying for chrome I can't see.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
wkohn said:
You don't happen to have the stock number for the standard SE backplate? If so, could I have it? I can see paying for chrome I can't see.
29478-05
But if you go to a round cover, you'll see it...

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,644 Posts
MegaGlide said:
29478-05
But if you go to a round cover, you'll see it...
So are you saying that you won't see it if you use the 29510-05 backplate? Cause I was thinking about going to the with the Nostalgic "Bar & Shield" round air cleaner cover #29138-91. All of this I forgot to point out before is for a 2005 FLHRCI.

Thanks for your help

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
If you go with the nostalgic round cover, you'll want the chrome backplate. Here is a way to basically get the chrome backplate and KN filter for free vs paying full price for the HD "kit"...

I've got an '06 Dyna and I just installed the SE AC on my bike. If you order the parts separately, you can save a bunch of money. The kit is $139 from Harley. For $139 you get a cast backplate and lousy SE air filter. I ordered these parts from Zanottis -

Item Quantity Price
29510-05 - (1) $31.36 Chrome Backplate
29557-05 -- (2) $8.52 Breather Tubes
11292 - (2) $1.42 O-Rings
29447-99A - (3) $10.50 Mounting Studs
3938 - (3) $2.34 Torx head filter screws

Total cost with shipping was about $60

Then I ordered a K&N filter HD-0800 from K&N for $50.

So for about $111, I got the SE Kit, plus the chrome backplate and a better filter. You can even save more by getting the KN filter somewhere else. I've seen them as low as $39.

I don't know why HD charges so much for the kit when you can order the parts for a lot less money. Installation is real easy only takes about 10 minutes.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,644 Posts
JamieWG said:
If you go with the nostalgic round cover, you'll want the chrome backplate. Here is a way to basically get the chrome backplate and KN filter for free vs paying full price for the HD "kit"...

I've got an '06 Dyna and I just installed the SE AC on my bike. If you order the parts separately, you can save a bunch of money. The kit is $139 from Harley. For $139 you get a cast backplate and lousy SE air filter. I ordered these parts from Zanottis -

Item Quantity Price
29510-05 - (1) $31.36 Chrome Backplate
29557-05 -- (2) $8.52 Breather Tubes
11292 - (2) $1.42 O-Rings
29447-99A - (3) $10.50 Mounting Studs
3938 - (3) $2.34 Torx head filter screws

Total cost with shipping was about $60

Then I ordered a K&N filter HD-0800 from K&N for $50.

So for about $111, I got the SE Kit, plus the chrome backplate and a better filter. You can even save more by getting the KN filter somewhere else. I've seen them as low as $39.

I don't know why HD charges so much for the kit when you can order the parts for a lot less money. Installation is real easy only takes about 10 minutes.
Thanks, So I guess you can see the backplate with anything other than the stock cover over the air filter.

A good place to get the KN filter HD-0800 is www.fox-performance.com I think it is $33.12 plus shipping which I think is $6. Does Zanottis have a web site?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
which filter is correct for my 06 EGC. here you are talking about the HD-0800 for about 50 bucks. When I checked the K&N website they listed it as an HD-1499 for 75 bucks.

did the change the part number and price due to demand ?

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Here is a link to K&N ... this is HD-0800, the filter that replaces the round SE filter for use with Stage I SE AC backplate or kit..
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=hd-0800

I believe HD-1499 is for direct replacement of the stock filter when using the stock airbox, (but I could be wrong.)
Here is a link to HD-1499 in case I am wrong and someone wants to chime in... I know HD-0800 fits the SE air filter backplate because I own one.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HD-1499

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
wkohn said:
So are you saying that you won't see it if you use the 29510-05 backplate? Cause I was thinking about going to the with the Nostalgic "Bar & Shield" round air cleaner cover #29138-91. All of this I forgot to point out before is for a 2005 FLHRCI.

Thanks for your help
What I'm saying is that the cast in breather portion is visible with a round a/c and looks like crap unless it's chrome or you paint it to match your engine if silver/black.
Also, with the round a/c cover on the new style one piece back plate, the edge of the cover will hit the "ears", even with H-D's recommended gasket. Whether you have a K&N or the paper element makes no difference, the height is the same. The way around this is to get a gasket from K&N to use in ADDITION to the H-D gasket. K&N supplies these free to its customers because they recommend that you replace the top gasket when you clean the filter anyway.

And the HD-1499 is a replacement that fits into the stock airbox. Not what you want. You either buy the SE kit from H-D and replace the filter or build the kit from parts w/o the filter (see above) and buy the K&N HD-0800.

Man, I type WAY too slow.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,644 Posts
MegaGlide said:
What I'm saying is that the cast in breather portion is visible with a round a/c and looks like crap unless it's chrome or you paint it to match your engine if silver/black.
Also, with the round a/c cover on the new style one piece back plate, the edge of the cover will hit the "ears", even with H-D's recommended gasket. Whether you have a K&N or the paper element makes no difference, the height is the same. The way around this is to get a gasket from K&N to use in ADDITION to the H-D gasket. K&N supplies these free to its customers because they recommend that you replace the top gasket when you clean the filter anyway.

And the HD-1499 is a replacement that fits into the stock airbox. Not what you want. You either buy the SE kit from H-D and replace the filter or build the kit from parts w/o the filter (see above) and buy the K&N HD-0800.

Man, I type WAY too slow.
Thank you. That makes more sense that is if Harley makes any sense. Will be doing the poor mans SE.

HD=Hundreds of Dollars

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
It's kind of cool to see how quickly H-D moves on a problem like the round cover hitting the back plate. I talked to one of the SE guys several months ago about it. He said, "yup", it needs a thicker gasket and a longer screw.
They were going to address the issue, yadda-yadda. Now here we are still stacking gaskets and scavenging for longer screws...
Working at the speed of government.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,644 Posts
MegaGlide said:
It's kind of cool to see how quickly H-D moves on a problem like the round cover hitting the back plate. I talked to one of the SE guys several months ago about it. He said, "yup", it needs a thicker gasket and a longer screw.
They were going to address the issue, yadda-yadda. Now here we are still stacking gaskets and scavenging for longer screws...
Working at the speed of government.
Working at the speed of government is exactly how GM and Ford have been operating for years and look at where they have ended up. I'm betting that GM will be filing for bankruptcy by about 04/01/06.

·
Registered
62 Posts
MegaGlide said:
....And the K&N HD-1499 is a replacement that fits into the stock airbox. Not what you want..........
what will happen if i leave everything stock and just replace the original airfilter with this HD-1499 from K&N ??
will it give better filtering? better airflow? much more airflow so i will need more fuel?

i'm getting my '06 HDI spec FXDBi next month.
thank's

1 - 20 of 34 Posts