V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running the SE air cleaner on my fuel injected Street Glide and want to vent the breathers to atmosphere. I'm looking for a kit that will work with the existing SE backplate and accomplish this for me. I know I could just run some hoses, but I am interested in something that looks a little more tidy yet does the job. Thanks.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
New SE backplate that mounts directly to the heads or the earlier separate piece setup?

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GPO03FatBoy said:
New SE backplate that mounts directly to the heads or the earlier separate piece setup?
New backplate that mounts right up to the heads. I'm having a hell of a time locating something that looks like it will work.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
jimmymac said:
New backplate that mounts right up to the heads. I'm having a hell of a time locating something that looks like it will work.
Because of the way that the breather tubes run internal to that one, I don't think there is a way to do it, with that backplate.

If you go to the earlier SE backplate which has a separate breather, it is possible. I've been mocking it up. Never found a kit, as the Kuryakyn Bluegrass has nice clean vent tubes but according to Kuryakyn will not space out right to mount the air cleaner support. (I wasn't willing to give up the separate backplate support arm.)

What is working for me is using a set of the (chromed) Evo crankcase breather fittings (29445-02) vented through braided stainless tube to a Doherty breather valve.

Alternately, you could use one of the various sets of individual crakcase breathers that hang right of the heads. I wanted a different look and ran the tubes up and around the throttle body, connecting them with a Y by the horn mount. Then I attached the Doherty valve to the Y, pointed down. I pulled my horn so that's all I have there. You could mount the valve behind the horn if you don't want to see it, or Kuryakyn shows a pic of someone who mounted the catch tank for their Bluegrass setup on a fitting beside the horn. My set up is the same idea as the Bluegrass, but with parts that fit with an SE air cleaner.

One reason I pointed the breather tubes up, is I'm hoping gravity will cause most of the oil in vapor form to condense and run back into the head, rather than actually blowing over to the collection valve.

The Bluegrass and Doherty setups, btw, come with clear vent tubing. Also, while the 29445-02 breather fittings have 3/8", if you want a more minimalist look, use 5/16" rubber hose. All you have to do is run the end under hot water and push it on the fitting. It gives a tighter seal and a slightly sleeker look. Use some of the covered hose clamps for a finished look. I'm trying a couple of Pi-thon hexlocks ordered from this place - http://www.hoselocks.com/hex.htm

Sorry, no kit ideas. Also, you'd have to pick up one of the earlier SE air cleaner backplates to make this work.

Good luck.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas man...

I figured I was going to have to rig something on my own. Any chance you would take a couple pictures of how you did yours?

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
jimmymac said:
I figured I was going to have to rig something on my own. Any chance you would take a couple pictures of how you did yours?
Be glad to. I mocked it up yesterday to get the hose lengths right, and have it back apart, but as I put it back together I'll snap a couple of pics for you.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
jimmymac said:
I'm running the SE air cleaner on my fuel injected Street Glide and want to vent the breathers to atmosphere. I'm looking for a kit that will work with the existing SE backplate and accomplish this for me. I know I could just run some hoses, but I am interested in something that looks a little more tidy yet does the job. Thanks.
Jimmy,

I used a Drag Spec kit for this. It uses a crossover that links the two breather holes in the heads and has a braided line. It's really simple and if you find a pic of one or see one - you'll immediately figure it out.

You don't need to buy the DS kit for $60, you can buy just the crossover - I think Custom Chrome makes one, and rubber hose with a steel braided cover is usually available by the foot. Couple other things:

* I plugged the holes in the SE backing plate with nuts, bolts and rubber washers.
* My engine is silver, the bike is black. So I used the braided hose to the swingarm, then I joined a length of black rubber hose, snaked it along the frame and swingarm, and have the end even with the end of the swingarm. * The end is cut at an angle intended to keep any mist angled away from the hub.

My thinking was that I don't want oil mist getting on the tire, hub or along the bottom of the bike - and it works. There's free flow through the hose, hte heads are being vented and there's no mist on anything.

Hope that helps.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FXDRYDR said:
Jimmy,

I used a Drag Spec kit for this. It uses a crossover that links the two breather holes in the heads and has a braided line. It's really simple and if you find a pic of one or see one - you'll immediately figure it out.

You don't need to buy the DS kit for $60, you can buy just the crossover - I think Custom Chrome makes one, and rubber hose with a steel braided cover is usually available by the foot. Couple other things:

* I plugged the holes in the SE backing plate with nuts, bolts and rubber washers.
* My engine is silver, the bike is black. So I used the braided hose to the swingarm, then I joined a length of black rubber hose, snaked it along the frame and swingarm, and have the end even with the end of the swingarm. * The end is cut at an angle intended to keep any mist angled away from the hub.

My thinking was that I don't want oil mist getting on the tire, hub or along the bottom of the bike - and it works. There's free flow through the hose, hte heads are being vented and there's no mist on anything.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the response. I've seen some of the crossover kits but I don't think they will work in my application. Here is what I have. The SE backing plate is run right up against the heads and the breather bolts are recessed into the backing plate.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GPO03FatBoy said:
Be glad to. I mocked it up yesterday to get the hose lengths right, and have it back apart, but as I put it back together I'll snap a couple of pics for you.
Cool. Thanks!

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
jimmymac said:
Cool. Thanks!
Premature since it's not back together, but should give you the idea. I used the clear tube to mock it up. Am replacing it with braided stainless. The tubes are about 11" long on my bike and meet in a Y on the opposite side.

This SE backplate comes with an evo style chrome tube connecting the ports. There is a hose off the rear fitting that connects into the backplate. I wanted to route my hoses up like I said to try to minimize the oil loss, and I didn't want to blow it out on the ground, hence this approach. I just put a vacuum hose cap on the a/c backplate fitting.

Other options around. This is working for me.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the pics...

That looks like it should work well for your application. Not so good for me though with my style backing plate.

I'd really like to keep this SE backing plate since the damned thing is brand new. The search for answers continues.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
jimmymac said:
That looks like it should work well for your application. Not so good for me though with my style backing plate.

I'd really like to keep this SE backing plate since the damned thing is brand new. The search for answers continues.
Yep, your current plate is not the same to work with. This is the earlier SE plate. You don't see it once the filter is in place, so it's fine for me. You'd have to swap out if you want to use this approach.

You could of course just push tubes directly on to your breather fittings and run them wherever you want. Can you just turn the vent caps in a different direction and route them away from the air cleaner? Haven't looked closely at the end fittings you have, but maybe you could turn them up and push hose directly onto them?

Good luck.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GPO03FatBoy said:
Yep, your current plate is not the same to work with. This is the earlier SE plate. You don't see it once the filter is in place, so it's fine for me. You'd have to swap out if you want to use this approach.

You could of course just push tubes directly on to your breather fittings and run them wherever you want. Can you just turn the vent caps in a different direction and route them away from the air cleaner? Haven't looked closely at the end fittings you have, but maybe you could turn them up and push hose directly onto them?

Good luck.
I just ran down the basement. End caps turned around won't work. Looks like I'm back to running hoses off the breather bolts. I may try running some short lengths of hose into a Y connector then add a collector underneath and behind the air cleaner cover.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Wow! Never saw that backing plate before - mine's like GP003fatboy's. Assumed they were all alike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts