V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Ive been searching the forum and have seen that most guys are either running the SE stage 1 air cleaner or the Arlen Ness big sucker. I am trying to decide which way to go. I have already decided on the pipes that I want and will be getting those soon. I have a 2011 FXDC. Thanks

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
I prefer the Ness. The back plate seems nicer. I think it is usually cheaper too. What will you do for a tuning device?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't decided on a tuning device. didn't think I really needed one with just a stage one. Thought I could just do the stage 1 ECM flash at the dealer.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Should be as some are made in China.
Good point. Chrome plating should be better too, as environmental restrictions are less over there.

·
Registered
673 Posts
AN and SE are nearly identical. The AN backplate seems to be better quality which I think makes no difference They use the same k&n filter and i imagine there is no difference in performance. I have both and if I were to buy a third, I would get the AN.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Do the SE's now come with the grooves to help funnel the oil back into the intake? My SE did not and I would get oil drips, the AN does and I no longer get any drips...

If they do, then just get which ever you think looks best.

rkc

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Road King Cole that was one of my main concerns with the SE and I have read a lot of threads about the oil and dont want that to happen to me. I think Im going to go with the AN plus I like the way it looks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
im really pissed off at harley becuase i really, really wanted this one but couldn't get past the price of the arlen ness big sucker. bad harley! :spank:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Haven't decided on a tuning device. didn't think I really needed one with just a stage one. Thought I could just do the stage 1 ECM flash at the dealer.
If you're changing the intake you really need a tuner. The dealer flash is expensive and the bike will still run too lean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a SE Heavy Breather. And Khrome Werks Slip-ons. Finished up with the TTS Tuner interface. Bike runs fantastic since it picks up cooler air, and Element is not in the way of my knee,

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a SE Heavy Breather. And Khrome Werks Slip-ons. Finished up with the TTS Tuner interface. Bike runs fantastic since it picks up cooler air, and Element is not in the way of my knee,

Same here about the S/E breather!

·
Registered
243 Posts
@gree: The heavy breather gave me more leg room on my bagger, if that was of any concern to you. It seems to work well.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
SE Heavy Breather

I went with the SE heavy Breather on my 107 build. Tuner i Quote took off filter to see if their was any more none felt SE HB was one of the best. 111 HP. 121TQ. And yes i sold it for the twins.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used the heavy breather and Rinehart Crossbacks installed a week apart to let the bike self-tune....runs great without a flash or new ECM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Arlen Ness Stage 2 Big Sucker that was on my EVO. I bought S&S V111.
Will The Evo Big Sucker fit a TC motor? I am upgrading my son's TC 88 to 95". his bike has a CV carb like mine. What I am unsure of is the banjo bolts that go int o the TC heads for breathers. I am just trying to save a few bucks where I can.
The S.E. bigbore cylinders and flat top pistons and DM 510 cams, CV HD Dynojet kit cost a bit. Still got other parts to buy, pushrods, gaskets and new chain tension pads. it will cost a Grand to get the parts installed. Just don't have the money for the cam gear setup. Any pionter is appreciated. Lokking for somme used performance staggered duals.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The dealer flash will not make the bike run too lean. The flash is not approved for street use so leaning the engine is not required. The best thing to do after you install the AC and exhaust is to get the ECM reflashed with the stage 1 download, check with your service department and see what exhaust they support (there are many) and your AC. The flash can also change the Rev limiter. Next have the dealer DYNO Run the bike so you can see that the AFR is, 13.5:1 is the norm for wide open throttle through out the RPM range. The AFR change depending on the type of riding and throttle position so wide open is where most people get them done.

If you decide to go to a stage II upgrade then the tuner or auto tune system might be the best choice to save money and time. I have a stage II and use a Thundermax ECM with auto tune and it works very good, before that I used the download and Dyno runs to make sure my stage I was set up properly.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
If you like the cone the HD heavy breather is a better made product than the ness big sucker.
The new ventolator SE style has the fiber glass filter better flow than the oiled one keeps peak flow longer and is just wash and go.
I had the heavy breath on my 07 like it a lot.
On the RGU I went with the SE ventilator because it is narrower and allows more clearance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts