V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have, or tell me where to find, gear ratios for the SE 6 speed? I'd prefer to go with a Baker DD6, but I think I can get an SE for several hundred $$ less.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
05fatty said:
Does anyone have, or tell me where to find, gear ratios for the SE 6 speed? I'd prefer to go with a Baker DD6, but I think I can get an for SE several hundred $$ less.
The DD6 is a different animal with 6th gear as direct drive. Overall gearing is very similar to the SEOD6, DD6 in sixth gear should be more efficient than the OD6. 4/5/6 gear in DD6 are heli-gears with lower noise levels
Most likely not worth several hundred bucks, but I bought it anyway

·
Registered
460 Posts
05fatty said:
Does anyone have, or tell me where to find, gear ratios for the SE 6 speed? I'd prefer to go with a Baker DD6, but I think I can get an for SE several hundred $$ less.
1st: csoday is off a tad off on the SE OD 6 6th gear raito. It's .89

2nd: Why just SE6 Vs DD6. Baker has an OD6 that's in the same price range as the SE6 and just might have a couple of options that you might find to your advantage. You can get optional 2,94 first gear which if you have a bulk cube motor or even a hot stock 95" you might find to your likeing. Baker also offers R ratio 1st and 2nd gears if you're find you have a need for closer ratio 1st to 2nd gearing. PS: If you have a heavy bike, heavy rider and ride 2 up you with 88 or 95 build you might way to stay with stock ratio 1st gear or if you pull a tralier. PS: I believe Jims offers same ist gear and R ratio 1st and 2nd gear options with their OD 6 so you might want to check them out too.

3rd: Baker also offers the 2.94(effective) 1st gear option with the DD6 too.

4th: Final drive ratio can be different between the SE6, DD6 and Baker OD6.

SE6 has .89 ratio 6th gear. With 25/36 primary and 32/70 secondary gearing over all final drive ratio is 2.8 in 6th and 3.15 in 5th. If you use the 24/37 primary gearing 6th gear will have a 3.0 overall final drive ratio and 5th gear ratio will be 3.37.

DD6 has depending on 36 or 37 tooth clutch sprocket will either have and (effective) .89 ratio or .86 ratio with 28 tooth compensating sprocket and 32/70 secondary an have a 2.81 or 2.9 6th gear overall drive ratio depending on which clutch sprocket you use and 3.23 or 3.32 5th gear ratio.

Baker OD 6 offer .86 or .80. (Forget the .80 ratio for 97% of bikes even with 24/37 primary gearing with 32/70 secondary.) Depending on if you use 25/36 or 24/37 primary gearing, 6th gear overall drive ratio will be 2.7 or 2.9 and 5th gear 3.15 or 3.37.

5th: Gear ratio comparsion between SE6 and DD6. Gear data complements of V-nut/HTT board. In case you don't notice the DD6 1st-5th gear have a small mechanical advantage over the SE6 due to it's design and if you choose to use a 37 tooth clutch sprocket you get almost the same 1st - 5th mechanical advantage of change to 24/37 primary gearing on stock 5sp or OD6 sp's. I believe you can right click on the images, save them to your computer and print them out so you can compare them better.

6th: Now before you run out and buy a 6sp make sure you can really make use of it and gear to your power band There's a post in Touring Section on 6 speeds. Read it, go riding and then decide to buy or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts