V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ANOTHER DAMN YANKEE
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall , I got a 01 fxsti with 6400 miles on it. Just took it for a rip around the block today for the first time. She came to me with SE2 baloney cut mufflers on her. They sound ok running up through the gears, but I cant hear them up at speed. The wind noised drowns them out. Looking for somethin I can hear doing the SPEED LIMIT. Anyone got any ideas. Its tax season and I got money burning a hole in my pocket. :woohoo:

·
ANOTHER DAMN YANKEE
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
am I going to loose alot of backpressure? going to mess with the efi ? I had a buddy take a 2 " hole saw to his and open um up but he has a carb.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Remove the baffles, and open the slash "/" in the baffle about 3/8" more with a large screwdriver/prybar. You won't lose much noticable low end grunt, the middle range will come alive, and the sound will be a lot better.

Thorns

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Before you do any mods to the SEIIs, you might want to get a buddy to ride your bike while you stand on the side of the road. I thought mine were too quiet too, but when I heard them while someone else was riding, I was pretty amazed at how loud they are. I could hear the bike coming long before I could see it. Helmets, wind noise and the exhaust pointing behind you hides the noise level.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
You know, my 2:1 Thunderheader....

....does the same thing. Plenty of noise at WOT, but mellow "at speed", as you describe it. Before you go alter your muffs (SE/II are good for performance, actually) I would think carefully about a long day in the saddle, where I appreciate a pipe being mellow "at speed".

·
Registered
4 Posts
What do you mean by "pop the plug" out on the stock pipes? Obviously there is a plug in my stock pipes I have not ever noticed...but I would like to do it to mine to get a little more sound.

·
ANOTHER DAMN YANKEE
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I`m just not very happy with the SE2 mufflers, do you think a set of cycle shack mufflers would do the trick? I have read some threads on them and seen nothin but good stuff. Are they alot louder than the SE2 ? Or am I just wastin my money.

·
Banned
169 Posts
mike mercier said:
What do you mean by "pop the plug" out on the stock pipes? Obviously there is a plug in my stock pipes I have not ever noticed...but I would like to do it to mine to get a little more sound.
Not sure how loud you want it, but consider this...That plug opened up about 50% in area will give you about a 80 % sound increase of what taking it completely out will.

The plug is strategically placed to promote a strong reflective pulse (sound wave) that really helps pull in the overlap at low to mid rev range. Think twice about taking it all the way out on a stock motor unless all you really care about is sound.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I have never had Cycle Shack muffs, but some gurus from this Forum like Totenkopf is, strongly recommend these mufflers and I am quite sure they/he knows what he is talking about.

emirharley
"Sarajevo Bikers Club" MC
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
-----------------------------------------------------
2001 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI HDI EFI
Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit
RevTech DFO Stealth Performance System
Screamin' Eagle Performance Mufflers
(Set two: Wild Pig Pipes, 2" baffles)
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
ANOTHER DAMN YANKEE
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like loud. If they cant hear ya comin what the sense of owning it? Everything I have owned has been loud. Must be the kid in me...lol . Gonna get looking on E-Bay for a used set of Cycle shacks. Thanks everyone for all the input.

·
ANOTHER DAMN YANKEE
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks i`ll check them out also . thanks for the help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Se II's

I agree, I don't think the Se II slip ons are loud enough. They are better than stock, but I want more sound at times. I would like to remove the whole baffle and be able to put it back in again. Unfortunately, It looks like there is some form of rivet type screw holding the baffle in and not a removeble screw. Anyone ever taken the whole baffle out before?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Go get Wild Pig Pipes/Mufflers with removeable loud, louder or the loudest baffles.

emirharley
"Sarajevo Bikers Club" MC
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
-----------------------------------------------------
2001 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI HDI EFI
Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit
RevTech DFO Stealth Performance System
Screamin' Eagle Performance Mufflers
(Set two: Wild Pig Pipes, 2" baffles)
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light