V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got what looks like scuff marks, on my pipes. Tried to get them out with chrome polish, which helped a little, but there are still marks. What product can I use?

·
Registered
276 Posts
scuff marks

you will need more than just chrome polish to get them out , depending how deep they are. What you can try is going to your favorite auto paint store & get some aggresive rubbing compound & some sort of buffing wheel to put on your drill or better yet if you have a buffer use it , you need to build some heat to get them out . Try ( eastwood .com ) for metal polishing supplies & some tips. Larry

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You need to find a chemical way to remove them, as any mechanical method will dull or discolor the chrome. There is a impregnated wadding like NevrDull called X-treem that is pink in color and comes in a can the same size as NevrDull that is black with yellow and red writing. Works for me.

If it is real stubborn you can use a towel with acetone or even better trichloretylene.

My sometimes co-conspirator has the X-treem stuff at his shop. Broadway and Alma school, NE corner, hidden from the street, ask for TJ.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Assuming it is some molten boot sole or something. If the chrome finish has been scratched in any way, might as well save your time and forget about it.

B

·
0 Posts
> Assuming it is some molten boot sole or something.

I've never had trouble getting melted shoe off of my pipes, usually just wait 'til they cool and rub with my thumb (skin, not nail). Of course my pipes are black, not chrome. Hard to believe that sole would stick that much better to chrome, if so I'm kinda glad my pipes are black because I am sloppy about foot placement ... ;-)

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
bjandnancy said:
ok.. am a gal.. is acetone like fingernail polish..?
yeah, i believe it is. it says it right on the bottle i think?
i mean not that i have much experience with that sort a thing.:nope:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I melted just about half of my boot on my exhaust pipe and I used a product called Mothers Chrome Cream to get it off. Now everytime I get melted boot on my exhaust I just pull out the Mothers Chrome Cream.

·
Registered
107 Posts
0000 steel wool wet

i have recently had a microfiber rag touch my hot header pipes and kinda melt on there. a smart man told me to try wet, real wet steel wool (i used 0000) and it came right off. cost about 3 bucks for a ton of it at the hardware store .

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Thunderhog said:
It's been over 3 years, He probably has it fixed by now...:wacko:

Buzzkill!:thumbsdn:

·
Cruisin' SoCal
175 Posts
Go with what Starwalker said..............0000 steel wool. Get it wet and rub lightly when pipes are cool. Works GREAT!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts