V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
This problem might have beed addressed before but I can't seem to find it. Anyway, I have this loud screeching noise when rolling off the throttle. Seems to happen more when the bike is cold. It sounds like it might be coming from the primary. My bike is a 2003 FLHTCUI. Any Ideas?

P.S. I changed the fluid and adjusted clutch 2000 miles ago and all looked well. I have been running SYN3 since my 1000 mile service and now have 35K miles on the bike.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Check your rear belt tension. I might be loose. Belts tighten up when hot and tend to eliminate the screech after a few miles.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
LittleBear said:
Check your rear belt tension. I might be loose. Belts tighten up when hot and tend to eliminate the screech after a few miles.
I agree that it's the belt...but it's way too tight.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
SYCLONE
I agree that it's the belt...but it's way too tight
Interesting, I have never gotten my belt way too tight, but mine does it when it gets very dusty, damn gravel roads, or too loose.
I am not disagreeing with you, and I will add that to my checks next time I or a friend have the problem. Thanks

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Belt to loose or misaligned, probably too loose since it's worse when cold. I have had this problem. it's too loose!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank's all, I'll check tonight but I am not sure that is it. I have used HD's 10lb deflection tool to check actual belt deflection and when the belt is adjusted per HD's spec from the manual it will make a constant whineing sound at highway speed. So I like to run it a little loose and in doing so it is quiet. Anyway the screech is more like metal to metal not a squeal. So before tearing things apart I want to try and make an educated guess as to where I should start.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Next would be to remove the primary chain inspection cover and verify the tension on the chain, the tensioner shoe condition, and the compensator nut being tight.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
It's hard to explain sounds sometimes. I had a sound at the belt that I would have sworn was coming from the clutch basket and I too thought it was metal on metal.

I checked and checked stuff to no avail. I don't know why I decided to clean the belt edges, but I did and the noise was gone. It came back in about 200 miles. So I checked alignment per manual. It appeared to be correct. I measured from the swingarm to axle center and it was dead on.

Cleaned belt again and it came back again. So I looked at the belt from the rear and could see that it was riding the outside of the pulley a little. I adjusted the rear wheel 1/32-inch at a time until the belt tracked the center of the pulley.

It only took a little and the noise has not come back.

Just something to check out.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
noise

I have a 2000 Heritage had this bad cherp noise drove me nuts, bought a belt tension tool adjusted the belt to the specs, still got the noise. Tried soapy water on the belt that worked for a couple days then it would come back. Finally the service manager at my local dealer told me to just tighten the belt an eighth of a turn on the adjusting until it stops cherping. No more cherp
Good luck

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
car_guy said:
try rubbing a crayon around both edges of the belt. worked for me. good luck.
Bad idea. The belt will still slip (actually more), but you just won't hear it...for a little while.

Nothing at all should be used on the belt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had problems with a whistle when slowing down and pulling the clutch in. It happens after washing the bike or riding in the rain. It is common on the FLHTCUI bikes. The water gets in around the motor mount and whistles. I've had 10 Ultras since 1994 and they all did it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
35k..... i would check the cam chain tension shoes.....you have 35k so they are due for replacment while you are at it ,,,,change out the cam bearings...... rat

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Cobra67 said:
I have had problems with a whistle when slowing down and pulling the clutch in. It happens after washing the bike or riding in the rain. It is common on the FLHTCUI bikes. The water gets in around the motor mount and whistles. I've had 10 Ultras since 1994 and they all did it.
If you get a new one every year, shouldn't have to wash em that oftem, especially with that short Maine riding season.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All, Thanks for everyones input. I maticulously went and checked tension specs on the primary chain drive, clutch adjust and rear drive belt. All good. Oil in primary good.

However, I did notice the primary chain adjuster shoe has been worn some. Not all the way through but to the point there is a groove the chain is riding in. maybe a 1/16" deep.The manual states to replace the shoe if it is worn. :dunno: I am not quite sure what they mean by that as it's not qualified. I can't seem to find any tolerance info on this. So I am going to replace it. The question is whether or not to replace it with the stock shoe or one of those after market auto adjuster's. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Did you try cleaning the edges of the belt and rear pulley?? Try that and see if the noise goes away. It only takes a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
vafatboy said:
Did you try cleaning the edges of the belt and rear pulley?? Try that and see if the noise goes away. It only takes a couple of minutes.
No, but that is a good idea before replacing the shoe. I try to do one thing at a time to isolate the problem. By doing that I usually remember the sound and diagnosis' are much more efficient.

Thanks vafatboy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts