V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my SE pipes louder. Someone told me that you can take a screw driver and knock out a hole in the baffler. HAs any one done this and has success. I like the look of the pipes but need volume.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have an Electra-Glide Classic and knocked out both plugs on the left pipe. On the right pile, I knocked out the back plug and drilled a half-inch hole in the front plug. I did this to help equalize the exhaust pressure throughout the system. The right pipe does most of the work as it.

Doing this did relieve some of the exhaust back pressure and helped the engine to breath better. I'm still looking at a Stage I and Scream'n Eagle pipes. Knocking out the plugs is a good start though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
First remove the pipes from the bike. Find a piece of wood and maybe even old carpet to put on the wood. Place the end that clamps on the exhaust pipe on the wood and hold vertically. A piece of steal water pile or anything that is about the size of the inside diameter of the plug will work providing it is long enough to reach down. Keep an eye on where the plug is tack welded to the guts. Might have to find a long chisel like piece of metal to knock it loose at the weld.

Once you have what you need, it is just a matter of beating it out and being careful you don't over do the beating part. I have a couple long extensions I used to attach a half-inch drill bet to for drilling the hole in the front plug. If I can recall, the plug has a small hole in it and works good as a pilot hole. There might be other ways that people have knocked them out but that worked for me. I did the same thing on my sportster.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I welded a 1 1/4 " hole saw to a rod approximately 16" long. Then I drilled out the baffles on the OL's Sporty. No muss, no fuss. Used same bit to drill 4 holes in the back of the stock air box, then rejetted carb. Sounds good, runs good.
twincamzz

·
Registered
11 Posts
Macca,

You didn't mention which SE pipes you have. Not all of the SE pipes have plugs. The SE 2-piece performance pipes for the Touring bikes, like the Road Kings, don't have plugs but they do have removable baffles that you can remove some (or all) of the fiberglass wrap to increase the sound. Just thought I'd mention that......

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I'm running 2 1/4" Samson Street Sweepers with torque cones on my hi-comp 95" Twin Cam. It runs and sounds wild as hell but the exhaust note is also rude as hell. Kinda gets old on rides longer than an hour or so. Johnny Law Dog usually gives me the dirty eye to boot.

I've devised a baffle configuration that may just tone things down a bit and give me a bit more low end punch. It consists of an inch long piece of 1" ID steel pipe with an OD of 1 1/4", radiused on the ID, inlet and outlet. This venturi type baffle is to be welded to a 1/4" coupling nut which is to be cut down so as to suspend the venturi in the pipes centerline leaving 1/2 " between the venturis OD and the pipes ID. the venturi baffle will be attatched to the exhaust pipe with a stainless button head bolt inserted through a hole drilled through back side of the exhaust pipe 3" up from the exit.

Any comments? Do any of you motor heads out there believe this mind fu(k of mine will work or am I wasting my time and effort?

Post Script:

Just realized that I should have posted this as a new thread... My bad!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.