V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do stage one to my XL. I have been looking at aftermarket exhaust pipes because they offer some style. My question is, are there any benefits beyond style that a set of after market pipes offer that Screaming Eagle slip-ons do not? I see slip ons will cost $250 and a set of after market pipes, at least the ones I like are 5-800 bucks.

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
It's really a matter of preference but I have the SE II slip-on's and several of my friends liked them enough to go get them after hearing mine. I like them because they are loud enough to not be street legal but I don't get a headache from them after being on the bike all day -2$en#e-

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your post. Is there a difference between SE and SEII exhaust? I see you have SEII

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the SE slip-ons are street legal and the SE II are for "racing applications"

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
two cents worth

I installed SE slip ons on my 98 evo along with the SE air filter kit. The stock pipes were way too quiet. The SE are just right. No, you won't be the loudest bike in the pack but you probably won't be pulled for noise while riding by yourself.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Can't go wrong with the MOCO designed (for your bike) Stage 1 package. I have never been disappointed with any Harley accessory.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at a set of SE II slip-ons on Ebay. They came off of a 2004 XL. Is there a way to reference the number of these pipes and know if they will fit a 2005 XL?;!pstwhore

·
Retired
1,832 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I was looking at a set of SE II slip-ons on Ebay. They came off of a 2004 XL. Is there a way to reference the number of these pipes and know if they will fit a 2005 XL?;!pstwhore
Sould be the same for '04-'05.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I want to do stage one to my XL. I have been looking at aftermarket exhaust pipes because they offer some style. My question is, are there any benefits beyond style that a set of after market pipes offer that Screaming Eagle slip-ons do not? I see slip ons will cost $250 and a set of after market pipes, at least the ones I like are 5-800 bucks.
In this life, you only get what you pay for. I speak from experience when I say a HD Big-Twin A/C with a K&N filter, head breathers run to atmosphere, correctly jetted CV carb and either SEIIs or a SuperTrapp 2:1 will put a big smile on your face. You will need a good dyno-tune for best results, esp. w/ the 2:1. You might also want to bump the ignition cutoff to 6200 rpm. An SE ignition module can perform that bit of magic.

If pure performance gives you the biggest grin of all, the SuperTrapp setup will win hands down every time.

:clap:​

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Moved to the exhaust discussion section.;)

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"head breathers run to atmosphere" I find that an interesting comment. Care to elaborate on it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Se II's

I have a Heritage and I just got done adding SE II slip ons , the new K&N breather kit and had the carb rejetted. I really love the sound of the SE II's. Then can really make some nice harley "noise" when you get on them but are not overbearing when running normally. I love them. I rode a bike with some V&H Big shots and I loved the sound but thought they might wear on me. I bought my slips ons on ebay and they were $100.00. The dealer had to add some mounting parts since they weren't supplied. The SE II's can sound loud enough to get you into some trouble with the law if you were really doggin them. I can't stay out of them so I am sure a ticket is not far away. I live in Fla. and just went out to stretch the pipes tonight. I recommend them highly. They have really made my bike come alive.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
RidingJerry said:
I installed SE slip ons on my 98 evo along with the SE air filter kit. The stock pipes were way too quiet. The SE are just right. No, you won't be the loudest bike in the pack but you probably won't be pulled for noise while riding by yourself.
What he said. I have SE's on my softail. My friend has SEIIs. We both think mine sound about perfect -- not overly loud when idling or chugging along, but a nice authoratative bark when you open the throttle. He's already drilled a few holes in his SEII baffles but they still don't sound that good.

By the way, I also got a nice midrange boost with the SE slipons, a K&N filter and going one size up with the slow and main jets.

·
Banned
871 Posts
geoffreyt said:
Aftermarket pipes will usually give you the best performance. They may cost more, but if you really want the bike to run at it's best, it's worth the extra expense. Personally, I steer clear of any SE parts... but that's just me. :(-

There are a lot of exhaust choices out there that will outperform anything from HD. No matter who makes the system, a 2-1 exhaust will give you the most "streetable" torque and power.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ToddM said:
Aftermarket pipes will usually give you the best performance. They may cost more, but if you really want the bike to run at it's best, it's worth the extra expense. Personally, I steer clear of any SE parts... but that's just me. :(-

There are a lot of exhaust choices out there that will outperform anything from HD. No matter who makes the system, a 2-1 exhaust will give you the most "streetable" torque and power.
I keep reading that the 2 into 1 is the best for the street but I just have a hard time looking at them. They all look like they should be on metric bikes and not HD

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
geoffreyt said:
Check out the "M" Series Cycle Shacks for your bike. Quality and great performance at a much better price. Those and your stock Harley head pipes are still one of the top performing exhaust set ups. A while ago, I priced them at somewhere around $125 for the set.

·
Banned
871 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I keep reading that the 2 into 1 is the best for the street but I just have a hard time looking at them. They all look like they should be on metric bikes and not HD
I can understand what you mean. You just have to ask yourself which is more important... a lot of torque and better overall performance, or the appearance of the bike?

It took me over 25 years before I even considered going to a 2-1. But, once I did, I decided that I would NEVER go back to a 2-2 exhaust. For me, performance is far more important than looks. If someone doesn't like the looks of my bike, who cares? They can look the other way. I ride for ME, not for other people, and I really don't give a damn what they think. :D :finger:

It's your choice, and you'll have to live with it. On the other hand, there are three 2-2 exhaust that work almost as well as the 2-1 systems. They are the Bartel's system, Python IIIs, and the V&H Straight Shots. If you can only afford slip-ons, then the Cycle Shack mufflers aren't too bad.

Check out this link for a good comparison of exhaust systems. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust_test_01.htm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts