V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got everything I need to build my engine now, except the adjustable push rods, and I am in the proof reading stage before the tear down.

Currently I have the S.E. inginition for TC88 softails on my bike, it made a remarkable difference when I installed it, my question is.....

Will it be good for a 95" motor with crane htc 290 cams, and s.e. performance heads? I figure it is still way better than stock, but do I need to think about another ignition before the build?

I have heard the the Crane and Dyna ignitions have too much advance towards the end of the curve...40 degrees or better. I would like to stick with the one I already have, but I don't want to invest this kind of money and be held back by the ignition.

Anyone know?

Budman

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The best ignition at this time is the Twintec as sold by HQ. There are several SE ignitions so it's hard to say.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello Budman:

When you installed your SE Ignition, were there any other modifications to you engine or is it stock? i have the high flow kit on my carb and V & H Longshot pipes. Will this make a difference for me? Pleae reply.

Jeff

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Difference

Sorry for the delay Jeff, I just checked my mail for the first time in a week. I had previously installed a jet kit, Hypercharger and V&H Straight Shots. All of which really made the bike breath easier, but the S.E. ignition made the whole motor feel different.

It idled differently, that I noticed immediately, but where the real difference came in was when you rode the bike and grabbed a hand full of throttle. If you haven't already, I would recommend you try it. I think you will be happy.

My bike is presently in the shop having the cylinders bored, a pair of Crane cams and S.E. performance heads installed...man I can't wait to get it back!

Budman

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks Bud:

I hopped in the thread, here, and realized I had replied to your thread. For some reason, I didn't get it in my email. Anyways, I'm getting my bike serviced in a month or so and wondering what to do for an upgrade. I got tired in putting decorative accessories on my bike and the only thing I could do now is "hop up" the motor.

So installing the SE ignition made a difference? About how much of an increase in "Go" did it give you.

Jeff

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Feel

It made a good bit of difference in feel. Could I do a 1/4 mile faster? That's hard to say but it sure felt like it. I did however have a noticeable increase in accelleration when riding against my buddies Sporty, so yeah it was faster. I just can't quantify how much faster. If you look at the HP and Torque figures on nightrider.com you will see a noticeable difference in those numbers when compared to bikes with the stock ignition. Hope this helps.

Budman

·
Registered
55 Posts
the aftermarket on mod engines have been reported to not adjust timing on the start phase which in tun has been doing a number on the starter jackshaft im presently going to go with the scmn eagle adjustable with the hand held input controller its good and also allows u to readjust with in your set perameters ,,,,,

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I had a chance to dyno a bike that was a 95 with HTCC heads/ 211 se cam. It had the SE module on it we swapped it for a DYNA TC88 model
I am not nocking the SE but the new DYNA one made 4 more HP and 7 TQ. I wish I could remeber the exact model. It is brand new has several adjustable curves and rev limits. very nice unit. It may have been the twin tec tc88 model not sure now. it was a few months ago

1 - 10 of 10 Posts