V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2002 sporster 1200xl .
I was thinking of putting some pipes on screamin eagles.
Can I just put the slip on pipes . what I am looking for is
to just make some noise love loud pipes .Are do I have to
make adjustments to the carbs to make it run good.
Thanks .

·
Registered
335 Posts
if all you want is a louder pipe either have done/do :

baffles drilled out, 7/8" hole saw with 12" extension at approx 500 rpm, move slowly

re-jet carb,add hi flow air element.

·
Registered
381 Posts
SE or cycle shacks slip-ons make decnt noise and retain back pressure (think torque here) that you lose when drilling the stock pipes out.
SE about $200 and Cycle Shacks around $150.

SE airkit will be the most economical and around $90. See the following article to tweak that carb.

re-jet instructions

This will net you around 5-7 more HP and some torque in the usable area of your RPM range, plus sound like a HD should, Good luck with the new Sporty and have fun with it.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
I just put the Screaming Eagle slip-ons on my bike and got pulled over 4 blocks from my house! He said he pulled me over because my pipes were too loud but I think he really did because I had temporary tags on my bike. The cop let me go without any tickets.

I think the pipes sound excellent, not too loud, just right! I have an appointment on the 29th to have the carb re-jetted and going to get the S/E air filter. I can't wait.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RE: S/E Stage 1 mods...

I had the S/E II Slip-ons, Air cleaner kit, and the dynojet kit (all factory parts) put in at a service appt. last friday. Man, what a difference! Instant torque increase. And sound awesome. Like a real Harley! I love my new '02 Sporty even more now. Got every part on sale, labor was well below what they quoted me, and they honor my warranty.

The thing is, at the first service appt., they adjusted that "factory lean mixture" and it didn't sneeze through the carb as often as when it was new. Now the sneeze is back, and worse before the bike is completely warmed up...and today I find a very thin, pinkish oil dripping from my S/E air cleaner cover, and on my pipes, jeans, and saddlebags. Is oil coming through the carb with these sneezes?

L8R,
Rob

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Re: RE: S/E Stage 1 mods...

robfuqua said:
I had the S/E II Slip-ons, Air cleaner kit, and the dynojet kit (all factory parts) put in at a service appt. last friday. Man, what a difference! Instant torque increase. And sound awesome. Like a real Harley! I love my new '02 Sporty even more now. Got every part on sale, labor was well below what they quoted me, and they honor my warranty.

The thing is, at the first service appt., they adjusted that "factory lean mixture" and it didn't sneeze through the carb as often as when it was new. Now the sneeze is back, and worse before the bike is completely warmed up...and today I find a very thin, pinkish oil dripping from my S/E air cleaner cover, and on my pipes, jeans, and saddlebags. Is oil coming through the carb with these sneezes?

L8R,
Rob
Rob, I had the same exact mods done to my bike. Mine sneezes less now but still does it. And I haven't spotted any oil coming from the breather yet.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Well guess what I just noticed Rob, I do have oil coming from my breather. I also found this LINK which says it is normal. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
About those stage 1 mods....

A net of 8 horsies sounds right, the mechanic that installed my mods said it was an 11 to 12 ft/lbs of TORQUE increase! And YES! There is a definite difference when you hammer on the throttle. TORQUE is sweeeet.

P.S.---call me a pus*y, (no pun intended) but I plan to peel and stick one of my old ladie's kotex maxi pads on the inside bottom of the ham can where the oil collects---you know, to soak up that oil (on those heavy flow days, ha ha) until I can alleviate the problem. It shouldn't hurt anything, since I've heard of people putting rolled-up paper towels in there....

I saw on a guy's sportster homepage ("MKL's Sportster" I believe it was called) that he installed this nice looking chrome tube breather part on his sporty, it came from each head where the breather holes are and it had a drain tube. I looked in the HD catalog and it says it's for a Dyna only. Anybody know if it will work? And where does the drain tube from this thing go?

Thanx for the replies folks....
Keep the rubber side down....

Rob in N.J.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put the screaming eagles on.
Runs just fine no adjusting carbs ,no changing air filter.
Yes I have the oil coming out my air cleaner . sounds like HARLEY
NEEDS TO FIX THAT PROMBLEM. Sounds great no farting or snezzing.
the pipes fixed the snezz .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts