V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
From my experience, the original Screaming Eagle mufflers are definately louder than the SEII's. They have a much higher frequency tone that has a "raspiness" to it. The SEII's have a fibreglass type of packing around the baffle tube, (the SE's have no packing) that takes out a lot of the "raspy" sound and gives the exhaust a much lower frequency tone. I have found the SEII's more tolerable to my ears on a long ride, and they are "neighborhood friendly". Its easy to modify the II's for a little more sound too. That's my contribution, hope it helps. Longshadow

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
The S/E pipes are for the rider that wants more sound....the S/E IIs are for the rider that wants sound and performance together.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hdmd88 said:
The S/E pipes are for the rider that wants more sound....the S/E IIs are for the rider that wants sound and performance together.
Thanks for the helpful replies. hdmd88, do you mean that the SE pipes don't give higher performance -- just more noise? Thanks for any clarification you can give me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi, I have the SE II's slip ons on my 05 fatboy, sounds is good, and performance. Not sure you can ge the SE anymore, I am actually looking to change them out for V&H BS or Screamin eagle 16 gauge

·
<--- Coolest Biker Ever!!
270 Posts
longshadow said:
... The SEII's have a fibreglass type of packing around the baffle tube, (the SE's have no packing) ...
My SEII's have no fiberglass packing. I got them in 03 from the dealer when I got my bike. :dunno:

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Again the S/EIIs are for performance, the PLAIN S/E pipes aren't they are 50 state approved which means they are restrictive.
The old S/EII Pipe had no fiberglass packing....the new style S/EII pipe does have the fiberglass packing.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up a set of used SE's (80410-01, 80409-01) because they were just $25. They have the typical warning on the side that they do not meet Federal EPA standards and are for closed circuit use only. As someone else mentioned, they're straight pipes and there aren't even baffle holes on the inside walls of the pipe. Anyhow, I'll probably chuck 'em on and see how they sound -- don't stand to lose much if I don't like 'em. Thanks again for your help.

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
I have the new SEII slip ons on my Softail, and they do not have the f/b baffles. Notice the conflicting answsers here, unbelievable! Without knowing if the application is for Dynas, Softails, Touring, and specific year, one can not say the all SEII's do or do not have f/b packing. Surprisingly, HD was not consistent in the manufacturing of the HD or SE/SEII slip ons throught out certain years and models. This was due to R&D decisions, marketing, and outsourced input as well.
The SEII's perform very well over stock mufflers, and will get louder as the miles go by regardless whether they're f/g packed or not. It is typical for these slip ons to sound a bit raspy, or tenor if you will, when just cruising, but roar also when rolling out the throttle. Tuning charateristics come into play as well. It was also found that leakage at the exhaust port, crossover tube, the slip fit connection onto the header pipe, and even baffle mounting contributed to the raspiness. Q/C is not up to ISO 9001 or military standards here when it comes to the construction of these mufflers. You'll see a lot of bikes out there with slip ons, and they don't mount just right, even crooked one way or the other, and heatshields not in align.
That unacceptable or somewhat bothersome raspiness is what ususally convinces bikers to later change to V/H, Rhineharts, SE16's, etc. Not so much the case with Touring bikes though. This is just a gathered comment collected from not only speaking with fellow club members, having or have had run with the slipons, 2000 to 2005, but also from a well respected 22 year HD parts division employee. All in all, slipons are a decent bang for the buck when it comes to a performance upgrade.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Very informative, Gooms. Somewhat in line with what you've said, when I type my SE part numbers into MoCo's search engine to figure out exactly what I had it drew a blank even though the pipes are only 4 years old. Anyone know if MoCo (or a third party) maintains a Harley parts database more comprehensive than what's on their website?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Gooms, if that statment was directed at me I will reply with this. I order and use all the S/E II pipes for Softails, Dynas,Sportys, and Road Kings in my Screamin' Eagle class room. Every Pipe I have recieved since they went with the name S/E Pro II in 2004 have had a woven steel packing sournding the removable baffle. Its the same baffle design as the old style S/EII pipe that don't have the woven steel insert. Both Pipes are great performers and both are very tuneable. The plain S/E slip-on I was refering to only has Screamin'Eagle on the rear pipe.....the better preformer will have Screamin'Eagle II on the rear pipe.
It might be that you recived a back stocked set of S/EII pipes without the woven steel insert not the S/E ProIIs so before you start with the ''unbeliveable'' response thing, be sure you didn't get a previous 2004 set of pipes on your softail. Just because you bought them in 2005 doesn't mean it was made in 2005...you being a 22 year veterian in parts should know these things happen. Now I also know HD doesn't put all their eggs in the same basket, meaning they have more than one mgr and supplier for their parts.....if one supplier is making the pipes different than the other supplier I will stand corrected.
Other than that your post was good and accurate on the cross over gasket and sounds from sloppy work. Thank you Sir

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
HDMD88, my post was not directed toward your comments at all. On the contrary, I value your past inputs from other posts and have read nothing but great comments from others. So if it came across that way, I sincerely apologize. BTW, it is an old high school buddy and long term friend that is retired from 22 years in the parts division. I may have posted odd due to the turkey day festivities.
It seems recently with the tremondous growth in bike ownership, especially v-twins, you'll see so many responses to posted questions and concerns. A great majority being just utter nonsense and crap. It's the very select few as yourself, that add meaningful info and thoughts in these types of forums, that is greatly appreciated.
It stopped raining, so I'm going puttin'. Happy Holidays!

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Gooms said:
HDMD88, my post was not directed toward your comments at all. On the contrary, I value your past inputs from other posts and have read nothing but great comments from others. So if it came across that way, I sincerely apologize. BTW, it is an old high school buddy and long term friend that is retired from 22 years in the parts division. I may have posted odd due to the turkey day festivities.
It seems recently with the tremondous growth in bike ownership, especially v-twins, you'll see so many responses to posted questions and concerns. A great majority being just utter nonsense and crap. It's the very select few as yourself, that add meaningful info and thoughts in these types of forums, that is greatly appreciated.
It stopped raining, so I'm going puttin'. Happy Holidays!
Thanks for your reply...be safe riding, and Happy Holidays to you too.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
longshadow said:
From my experience, the original Screaming Eagle mufflers are definately louder than the SEII's. They have a much higher frequency tone that has a "raspiness" to it. The SEII's have a fibreglass type of packing around the baffle tube, (the SE's have no packing) that takes out a lot of the "raspy" sound and gives the exhaust a much lower frequency tone. I have found the SEII's more tolerable to my ears on a long ride, and they are "neighborhood friendly". Its easy to modify the II's for a little more sound too. That's my contribution, hope it helps. Longshadow
The packing in the SE-IIs is not wrapped around the baffle tube. It covers the inside of the outer muffler body. The baffle can be pulled out, leaving the packing around the inside of the muffler. This it the SE-II Dyna slipons and I know this to be fact on those from the '03 and '04 catalogs. Not sure about 05s and later, I have no firsthand experience with those. After time, the packing gets coated with carbon and the higher pitched raspiness returns.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thought I'd give an update. I bolted on the Screamin' Eagle slipons the other day -- they sound fantastic. Quite a bit deeper and lumpier sounding than my buddy's Screamin' Eagle IIs -- and he's even drilled his out a bit. Added a K&N filter at the same time and rejetted using a 195 main jet and 48 slow jet (one size up from stock settings each). The bike definitely pulls harder through the midrange -- didn't notice any losses anywhere. Will dyno the bike one of these days and post the results. Thanks again for the comments.

·
GoFast!
263 Posts
FWIW, I had the SE slashcut slip-ons several years ago and they were *exactly* the same as Cycle Shack slip-ons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gooms, if that statment was directed at me I will reply with this. I order and use all the S/E II pipes for Softails, Dynas,Sportys, and Road Kings in my Screamin' Eagle class room. Every Pipe I have recieved since they went with the name S/E Pro II in 2004 have had a woven steel packing sournding the removable baffle. Its the same baffle design as the old style S/EII pipe that don't have the woven steel insert. Both Pipes are great performers and both are very tuneable. The plain S/E slip-on I was refering to only has Screamin'Eagle on the rear pipe.....the better preformer will have Screamin'Eagle II on the rear pipe.
It might be that you recived a back stocked set of S/EII pipes without the woven steel insert not the S/E ProIIs so before you start with the ''unbeliveable'' response thing, be sure you didn't get a previous 2004 set of pipes on your softail. Just because you bought them in 2005 doesn't mean it was made in 2005...you being a 22 year veterian in parts should know these things happen. Now I also know HD doesn't put all their eggs in the same basket, meaning they have more than one mgr and supplier for their parts.....if one supplier is making the pipes different than the other supplier I will stand corrected.
Other than that your post was good and accurate on the cross over gasket and sounds from sloppy work. Thank you Sir
previous owner of my Sporty cut the rear baffle tube to only 2 inches. I recently removed the inner steel-wrapped tubing to get Wyatt Gatling 3 inch quiet baffles to slide in. If I were to cut down the steel wrapped tube so that the Gatling 3 inch quiet baffle met up to it would there be any benefit.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
previous owner of my Sporty cut the rear baffle tube to only 2 inches. I recently removed the inner steel-wrapped tubing to get Wyatt Gatling 3 inch quiet baffles to slide in. If I were to cut down the steel wrapped tube so that the Gatling 3 inch quiet baffle met up to it would there be any benefit.
HDMD88 last posted in 05 do you think he is still alive? Got to watch the dates on some threads. I have got caught up in old posts too until I realized I never heard of the posters.laughing.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
this is what i was talking about new members popping up is this new format out the wazoos with no introduction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts