V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the baffles from a set of Screamin' Eagle II Slash Cut Slip ons and I'm having a bit of trouble. I've removed the two bolts holding them in place, but can not get the baffles to slide out. Is there a trick to it? Do I have to take the entire slip on off and push it out from the back??? I'm trying to removed them to put in a custom built set of baffles.

Thanks for any help.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
I'm not sure which SEs you have but on my older slash cut SE IIs, they were tight the first time or two I pulled them. I had to make a hook out of piece of metal rod and insert it in one of the baffle holes. Then I put a pair of vice grips on the rod and tapped on it with mallet to pull the baffles out.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I slid a #2 phillips screwdriver through the bolt hole (just fit), and stirred it around a bit to break the baffle loose. Carbon buildup makes the baffles pretty snug. I was also *just* able to get a pair of channel locks on the inner tube edge of the baffle, and levered/pulled the baffle out with the pliers.

BTW, on my SEII's, I had scraped the pipe during turns a few (ok, several) times in the past, has to "massage" the outer pipe round again with a chunk of wood.

I do love my new Big City Thunder baffles though...what baffles are you installing?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I have Screamin Eagle II and I did just what GPO03FATBOY suggested and removed my baffles. They came out pretty easy (using vicegrips, rod & a hammer). Removed the packing material. Opened up the rear part of the baffle a little bit (the cut middle part that was pressed) and Replaced the baffles. I now have the sound I've been looking for, A deeper rumble and a little louder.

·
Registered
305 Posts
screeming eagle road legals

i have what i believe to be screeming eagle road legals and have tried to remove the baffles that are secure with secure torque screws but could not budge them.

I would like to make them a little louder will removing the packing mean i will have to have the fuel set up 08 fatboy

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so i've tried every trick in the book. The rod, vice grips, hammer, heating up the pipes, brake cleaner, wd-40....and after severely hurting my elbow from the hook slipping and slamming into the building wall, I'm seriously thinking about giving up on them. Has anyone had this much trouble as me to get these things out.

The only trick I have up my sleeve is to drill out the mounting holes incase they are hung on the flatspots from the bolts. But besides that, I'm stumped. HELP!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is to try using a rubber mallet only around the part that the baffle is bolted on because the rest of the baffle tapers down. Don't hit it too hard to were you deform the exhaust, Also the rod that I used is about 1/4" thick, I grinded it into a point and bent it. You want that point to go in a bit so it won't slip out when you hit it. I don't know if you've read the above post but here's a link which might help
(http://www.hdforums.com/archive/threads/removing-baffles-from-new-screamin-eagle-slip-ons-1067023-1.html)there are also some illustrations. GOODLUCK!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Take the muffler off the bike and beat the baffle through from the input side... use a 1x1 piece of wood. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have SEII mufflers on my Heritage. The previous owner took out baffles so don't have them, to loud for me without baffles. Are the Thunder Cit baffles louder then stock SEII baffles or just a different sound. Why did you change? Thanks David

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Have SEII mufflers on my Heritage. The previous owner took out baffles so don't have them, to loud for me without baffles. Are the Thunder Cit baffles louder then stock SEII baffles or just a different sound. Why did you change? Thanks David
I was looking for a little louder sound. I started the bike without the baffles and it was too loud for me. It didn't seem to run that well either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem !! One came out, the other wouldn't even bugde with a slide hammer!

I took the muffler off, stand the muffler on the input end and hit the baffle with a piece of solid round steel further into the muffler to break away where it is stuck. As soon as it moves the slightest bit it will come out alot easier.

I was all but given up on mine but took it to a local muffler shop and they told me what to do - and bingo was out in 10mins.

What sort of custom baffles have you built?? I just built some myself but am not happy with them. Used large diameter exhaust pipe and fixed a stainless washer in the pipe. Very loud but a tad tinny

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took the muffler off, stand the muffler on the input end and hit the baffle with a piece of solid round steel further into the muffler to break away where it is stuck. As soon as it moves the slightest bit it will come out alot easier.
As above but with a soak of CRC as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
what i did

I'm trying to remove the baffles from a set of Screamin' Eagle II Slash Cut Slip ons and I'm having a bit of trouble. I've removed the two bolts holding them in place, but can not get the baffles to slide out. Is there a trick to it? Do I have to take the entire slip on off and push it out from the back??? I'm trying to removed them to put in a custom built set of baffles.

Thanks for any help.
i had to take off the pipes and then i used a socket that fit just right inside the baffel, the with a long extension and a hammer i pounded them out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Screaming Eagle Mufflers

I have a set of Screaming Eagles Mufflers for a 2011 CVO.
65583-11
65594-11
Can anyone tell me if there is any internal difference in these pipes other than on is for the left side and on for the Right? They are like brand new, and I really like the fat 4in dia. I know they are not loud, but I don't need the loudness.

Thanks,

·
Registered
169 Posts
The SE II's I had on my Softail didn't have wrap on the baffles and slid right out. I put a set of Big City Thunder Baffles in them, huge improvement in power and better sound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts