V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these a good head for a mild Evo, there is a set on Ebay I thought about trying to buy. I will still do a valve job on them. Has any one here used them before? what pistions will I need to best match these.
Thanks

·
In disguise
2,728 Posts
I don't have a whole lot of technical justification, but I would say that they are a good choice for a mild build. Two years ago I did a makeover on my Evo and installed SE heads, a EV27 cam and SE ignition componenets. I haven't dyno'd the motor but I can tell you that the difference from stock was night and day so I'm happy (still am).

I used the stock pistons because the head swap alone takes the compression ratio from 8.5/1 to 9.5/1.

I also bought the heads on ebay new from a dealer for just over half the retail cost. I think that dealer still has them. Check HD of Chillicothe, Ohio for their ebay store.

Especially now that they can be had for much less than retail, I would say that they are a good choice for performance increases. As you know, there is a while world of Evo stuff out there (cams, pistons, etc.) so matching the components up will be important to the final result.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FXR2
I will look into your advice.
I could probaly get by with pistions&rings and SE head swap, as I have a cam in the motor now.
CAN"T Wait
Thanks

What is a good red line for a stock bottom, I can set my limiter to 5500 or 6500, it is now at 6500.
Is this hurting it any if I only bump it a couple times a week or so.
Thanks again

·
In disguise
2,728 Posts
About redlines and stock bottom ends--I spend 99% of my riding time in mid range RPM's so I'm not an expert about redlines. I did my performance upgrades for better response in the low to middle speeds. My guess would be that if your bottom end is in good shape, and the pistons, rods and crank are in good balance and proper runout, then touching 6500 now and then should be OK. It seems to me that the higher the RPM, the more critical these factors get, so make sure your bottom end is in good shape and you use good oil.

To be honest, 5000 is about as high as I rev it these days. Motor work is expensive and time consuming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts