V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a screamin eagle clutch plate. I heard that this can be installed by just taking off the derby cover. Has anyone done this or do I need to remove the primary cover?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Mickeys-Customs said:
Just picked up a screamin eagle clutch plate. I heard that this can be installed by just taking off the derby cover. Has anyone done this or do I need to remove the primary cover?
Mickey, it can be done on an 04 t/c because I did it but it was a struggle. The old spring comes out easy enough but the new one is tough to get in because you have to put the big end in first vs the small end coming out when removing the original one. YOu have to flex the spring slightly which is tough. use gloves. If I had to do it again I would just pull the primary unless I just changed fluid. I have had my primary off 3 times and still use the original gasket with no leaks. ps thanks for the photos they were great. jeff

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Save yourself some agrivation and pull the primary cover off. Also get ready for the big squeeze. To me even with easy pull ramps that sucker was nasty in stop and go traffic. I put a VPC VP83T on top of the SE spring and find it pulls almost as easy as my stock spring did.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
msocko3 said:
Save yourself some agrivation and pull the primary cover off.
@gree:

msocko3 said:
Also get ready for the big squeeze. To me even with easy pull ramps that sucker was nasty in stop and go traffic.
Make sure your clutch cable is well lubed. It will help ALOT.

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That much of a difference?

·
?????
3,531 Posts
To me it was a more than I cared to pull from stop light to stop light. I noticed the difference between it and the stock clutch right off the batt. I could pull the stock clutch with 2 fingers, when I put the SE spring in I needed my whole hand. Everyone is different, I just didn't like sitting at long lights holding a stiff clutch. I put the VPC on with the SE spring and wow talk about a difference. Now its not much more than a stock pull.

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,
my last 2 bikes were open belts and I guess I got spoiled with my 07's clutch. I look into adding the VPC

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this the part # VPC83T I would need for my 07 and what is the cost ?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Mickeys-Customs said:
That much of a difference?
My '06 comes stock with an "Easy Pull Clutch" ramp kit thing, so my results are a bit squeued from others. . But when I added the SE clutch spring with my 95" kit, the pull on the clutch lever was horrible. I'm a pretty strong guy and my hand would start to hurt in traffic or after holding the clutch in for a while or after in situations where I would have to shift up/down alot. I'm also the type of rider who uses the clutch alot in slow speed manuvers. Was on the verge of removing the SE spring when someone on this forum suggested lubing the clutch cable... WOW what a difference. I now have no problems in traffic, at lights or anywhere. I love it.

So before spending any more money on a VPC or whatever, I'd invest in a cable luber and a can of cable lube. See how that helps first. Its alot cheaper, and is good mantainance you should be doing on a regular basis anyways.

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks,
I will try that approach 1st before spending money on the VPC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts