V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2002 HD fxdx last month, the bike came equiped with a se 1550 kit, lumpy cams, supertrapp 2-1 exhaust, mikuni carb, and a fire shooter air cleaner,that stuckout a foot.

I removed the fire shooter for driveability and put on a stock HD air cleaner adapter (stock backplate), OEM replacment k&n filter and stock cover.

The carb must have been jetted for the previous aircleaner because I have starting issues when the bikes been running. I need more air: I don't want to hack the current backplate (filter adapter).

The SE backplate part# 29510-05

^ will the OEM replacment k&n filter work with the SE backplate or will I have to buy the SE filter also?

thanks...

~ed

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
edr0ck said:
I bought a 2002 HD fxdx last month, the bike came equiped with a se 1550 kit, lumpy cams, supertrapp 2-1 exhaust, mikuni carb, and a fire shooter air cleaner,that stuckout a foot.

I removed the fire shooter for driveability and put on a stock HD air cleaner adapter (stock backplate), OEM replacment k&n filter and stock cover.

The carb must have been jetted for the previous aircleaner because I have starting issues when the bikes been running. I need more air: I don't want to hack the current backplate (filter adapter).

The SE backplate part# 29510-05

^ will the OEM replacment k&n filter work with the SE backplate or will I have to buy the SE filter also?

thanks...

~ed
the stock flat rectangular filter wont fit...you need the round k&n.If my memory is any good ..the part number on the K&N website is hd0800.
I can't see the stock filter causing starting problems though.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
SYCLONE said:
the stock flat rectangular filter wont fit...you need the round k&n.If my memory is any good ..the part number on the K&N website is hd0800.
I can't see the stock filter causing starting problems though.
If his bike is running rich it can cause hot starting probs. It's just like pulling out the choke on a hot bike. The restrictive stock AC could cause that. The filter he originally had on there flows a lot more air than stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts