V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the Stage 1 Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner on my bike currently but was wondering if that filter flows as well as a K&N filter would? If the K&N flows better does anyone have a part number?

By the way my bike is a 2006 Super Glide Custom.

·
Registered
69 Posts
flow

Not sure about flow stats but the SE kit used to include a K&N filter and now includes the filter is paper instead. I would quess that the MC went to the paper filter to cut costs as my dealer sells the K&N filter element to add to the kit and replace the paper filter. That's about $65.00 in addition to the cost of the SE filter kit. Now that's progress!

What I will do is run the paper until it needs changing then I'll buy the K&N filter that will flow better and maybe need another map on my PC.

·
Banned
202 Posts
I had a paper one on and it lasted for 5,000 miles.

I ended up replacing it with the Ness Big Sucker filter (same as K&N basiclly) and when doing so, I noticed bits of blue gasket material in the throttle body.

Now the real question is spending the extra $$$ for a K&N filter over a SE one worth it?

Depends on how much you like taking a part your engine I guess.

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
The K&N is the only filter that I would use. The cost/benifit ratio is actually really cheap when you compare it to the cost of chrome parts that look cool, but don't do anything else. K&N air filters have made a name for themselves, perform great, and for now, they are the standard. For just a few more $$$$$$, I am willing to junk the paper filter anyday. The part number is HD-0800 and here is a link to their website.

Listening to others here talk about paper and blue crap inside their motor's really creeps me out. Buy the K&N or a Big Sucker and save yourself the heart failure you will experience when you change out the paper filter.

Take the paper filter and list it on Ebay. Some RUB will buy it.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=hd-0800

·
Registered
61 Posts
se filter

now is this filter to replace the 29440-99c se one?Havent had the football cover off to see if the kn is a direct replacement

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
ciginia1972 said:
now is this filter to replace the 29440-99c se one?Havent had the football cover off to see if the kn is a direct replacement
The part # you reference is for the complete air cleaner kit not the filter, but, yes, the K&N HD-0800 is a replacement filter for use with the SE air cleaner kit. Use the K&N link in the post above and click on the "HD-0800 cross reference" link at the bottom of the page. The part #'s you see there are from the various versions of the SE a/c kit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ed Y said:
The part # you reference is for the complete air cleaner kit not the filter, but, yes, the K&N HD-0800 is a replacement filter for use with the SE air cleaner kit. Use the K&N link in the post above and click on the "HD-0800 cross reference" link at the bottom of the page. The part #'s you see there are from the various versions of the SE a/c kit.[/QUOT
thanks ed

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Arlen Ness filter comes with an adapter plate and a filter. Is the K&N filter just a replacement for the factory filter? And does the Arlen Ness filter adapter plate do anything like flow more air into the intake?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Big Sucker / K&N

A while back, someone posted that the "Big Sucker" was made by Airaid Corp.

I recently asked K&N if they made a replacement for the Arlen Ness "Big Sucker".

Here is K&N's reply:
"Thank you for your interest in K&N products. Look at this http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=hd-0800. Unfortunately we do not have filters by application for any of the Ness assemblies. K&N does make some for him exclusively and these ones can only be purchased thru Ness and Ness distributors."

Seems fair. Buy it from Ness.

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
just looked at my paper filter that has 3400k miles on it.no sighn of the blue falling apart yet and the filter itself llooks ok yet.i prob will update it to k&n next spring for that fox price seems like a good price.also does anyone know if the evo round cover will fit on the twinkys?like the look of the round lots better then the football one

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Any filter made for SE backing plate will also fit the Ness BS (although there are 2 versions of the BS so I'm not sure about the high performance one). With any of them, just make sure that the outside edges of the air cleaner cover are resting against the outside edges of the filter otherwise you put too much stress on the threaded portion of the air cleaner.

The Evo round air cleaner cover will fit on a TC with a either a SE backing plate or a Ness BS. The sentence above applies about fitment.

I've been using a round Evo cover on my 99 FLHT since new with no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts