V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.
I got the damn kit with the rods, new covers, and o rings and Im trying to put these buggers in and in the instructions it states one way to set the push rods if you are using Hydrolic tappets, and another way if you are using solid tappets.
Problem is I have NO friggin Idea and the instructions dont elude to what is STOCK or OEM in the damn TC88. I would normally call the stealer and ask but it is 7:00 here and everyone is closed. Besides, I thought it would be a good bit of info, and I didnt get far with the Search Function (at least I tried it first)
2002 FXDX TC88 motor installing SE adjustable push rods. Ant additional trick and tips would be appreciated as well.

One trick a bud gave me was - Use zip ties to hold the covers up and out of your way by cinching them on the push rod just above the adjuster so you can work without scratching yer covers and they make the job much easier. Works Great. Now if I could just SET the damn things, I'll be in good shape.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS a LOT Thealien !!!!!!!!!!
Im back to the garage for a bit.
PARTY ON!!!!
Gonna take a few clothes pins with me too (thats even better than the zip ties)

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh.
Got the job done.
Thanks again.
I about **** myself when I torqued the sparks back down and fired it up to take a listen and check for bleeders,,, and a hellatios noise banged through the garage. It was still up on the lift. My first thought was ohhh NOOOOO. Sounded like the pistons slammed the valves.
The Wife says "now that didnt sound real healthy" as she steps back. I said "that is NOT a good sound at all" and she says "yeah and the rear wheel spun too"
I cracked a big ol smile and said "Man I left the damn thing in top gear"
Put her back into neutral, fired her up and she PURRR's like a kitten ( a very LARGE angry kitten that is)
Man o Man what a difference in the reduction of rocker noise.
Very Pleased. Now If I can just keep myself from doing the 95" til next season,,,, LOL
Im gonna take a ride this weekend and get the darn factory repair manual. Been waitin 5 weeks and STILL noone close by has the bugger in stock.
Party On!!!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well actually you DONT if you plan on keeping the valve, head, and cam system stock. The OEM rods are just fine in that case.
BUT with stock cams and valves you can tweek the length of the adjustable pushrods to get the rattle out and do fine adjustments.

If you EVER plan on doing any upgrades to the head, Cams, rockers, tappets, etc. you will NEED adjustable push rods. Stock / OEM rods are specific lengths and are FIXED length and are made exclusively for the OEM setup of valve / head/ cam configuration OR are replaced with NEW specific rods for any variation thereafter. They are actually color coded for each specific action (front cylander exhaust, front intake, rear intake, rear exhaust) Quick change push rods allow you to make changes to the Cams, Tappets, and lower motor work without pulling the rocker covers and rockers to release the pressure on the push rods or remove because they remove right out the side of the rig without opening the major motor cases or components. After you change the components you just set the adjustable rods to the NEW lenght they need to be and from there you can once again Fine Tune their characteristics. SE rods are STRONGER than stockers as well so you can use a head with stronger (faster) valve springs or use a cam and valves with a greater opening or (lift) that creates greater force on the rods.

Why did I get them,,,,, Cause they are Bigger, better, faster, more. LOL
I'd hate to to have no excuse why I couldnt spend an evening watching "THE BACHELOR" in the den with the gals.
Party On!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lifter noise

My 2001 Road King has made a tapping sound from day one. I have 23,000 miles on the bike and it runs great. The sound changes with rpm so I'm fairly sure it's coming from the valve train. Would changing to adjustable push rods help quiet the King?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would have to say probably not Hot Rod. The tappets in your rig are hydrolic from the factory and therefore are designed to self adjust to take out any slack or free play that is in the valve train by putting a set amount of positive pressure on the tappet head where the rods seat. This also allows for the valve train to adjust for tolerance changes in the motor as heat and cooling actually change the length and dimension of valve train components. The adjustable push rods MAY and I say MAY be able to be tweaked by a VERY skilled and experienced tech to take a bit of rattle out of the train, but I do not personally dont know of anyone that is skilled (or lucky) enough to get MUCH of the rattle out due to the fact that the tappets will always compensate to some degree for any change in length that is made to the rods in an attempt to accomplish this. Harley valve trains are noisy by their very nature and design. I think its kind of a signature sound of a HD Twin motor. If the rattle / tap is severe or seems a LOT more than the bike next to you with a similar motor, I would defenitely take her into the shop and have her looked at for, if nothing else, peace of mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts