V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I've got the 16 gauge double barrels with stage 1 download & air cleaner on my '05 Deluxe & am very happy with them. They also get better/deeper over time. Some say that they are actually made by V & H, but I wouldn't know.

Huntray

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, how would you rate the sound vs V&H Bigshots, if you have heard them, if not, how would you rate the sound. I have Screamin Eagle II's slip on, looking for a little more sound, and a cleaner look, I like the way the 16 gauge look, but do not see them around much, all V&H it seems.....

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
I have the 16 Gauge and really like them.

The V&H are really loud, the 16 Gauge is made by V&H but with a much larger crossover chamber. This tones down the sound, which is what I wanted, but after about 1,000 miles the 16 Gauge developes a little deeper sound, I like that, and not as loud (car alarms set off) as the Big Shots.

My friend has the SE ll slip-ons, louder than my 16 Gauge when mine were new, but close to same sound with some miles on them.

I think the larger crossover chamber is better for low to mid range response, whereas the V&H with small crossover chamber probably makes more power at the top end. That is my guess.

Hope this makes sense.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
how's that?

DCRANER said:
I have the 16 Gauge and really like them.

The V&H are really loud, the 16 Gauge is made by V&H but with a much larger crossover chamber. This tones down the sound, which is what I wanted, but after about 1,000 miles the 16 Gauge developes a little deeper sound, I like that, and not as loud (car alarms set off) as the Big Shots.

My friend has the SE ll slip-ons, louder than my 16 Gauge when mine were new, but close to same sound with some miles on them.

I think the larger crossover chamber is better for low to mid range response, whereas the V&H with small crossover chamber probably makes more power at the top end. That is my guess.

Hope this makes sense.
Ican't see how the s/e pies can get louder.They have a large heavy baffle and do not have any sound deadening material.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I agree, my 16 gauges are much louder that slip-ons that I have heard,especially on the low end. Per my last EMail, after having them on for a couple thousand miles, they seem to have gotten a deeper tone, more throatier tone kinda like a old juiced-up small block engine rather than the "blat-blat" sound that I hear around our dealership. To each his own........
Huntray.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you rate the sound similiar to the V&H ?? These do not seem to be selling around my area, have never seen them, all V&H...would like to go a litle louder than my SE's....should probably wait till spring and listen up when I go to the Americade

·
OFOPOS and Proud of it
221 Posts
Just finished putting mine on. I started with a Stage 1 and SE II's. Great Low End performance, nice at idle and around town but got tired of roar at 70.

Switched to Torque Slip Fits. Much quiter at speed but lost Low End grunt.

First ride with 16 Ga. Deeper tone than SE II's and got my Low End Grunt back ! Acceleration sounds like a Mustang with a good set of glass packs.

Will get some open road this weekend to see what 70 and up is like.

Great looking on the Heritage.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oldjime,

Thanks for the info, let me know how they sound at 70, I really like the V&H, but I worry a little about them being a little to loud...I see around town here guys almost baby em because they are pretty loud. Also, the SE's are not popular around here, so I would like to be different.

How were these to put on, I see to always screw stuf up when I do it, but this seems straight forward, let m know how the install was,

Thanks

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Markfatboy05 said:
Oldjime,

Thanks for the info, let me know how they sound at 70, I really like the V&H, but I worry a little about them being a little to loud...I see around town here guys almost baby em because they are pretty loud. Also, the SE's are not popular around here, so I would like to be different.

How were these to put on, I see to always screw stuf up when I do it, but this seems straight forward, let m know how the install was,

Thanks
Maybe this will help as I have about 1,000 miles on my 16 Gauge;

The 16 Gauge IS the V&H BS, but with a larger crossover chamber, so the result is, IMHO, the same look but not as loud as the V&H.

V&H BS = Drag race car sound

16 Gauge = Street Muscle car sound

·
OFOPOS and Proud of it
221 Posts
MarkFatboy05

Installation is real easy. Things you need.

Flexible 1/2" socket and a couple of different size extensions for exhaust flange huts.

Dental pick, scribe or thin knife blade to remove old gaskets.

Instructions are easy to follow. Make sure you remove the old gaskets. At first glance it may look like they're not there. If you stick your finger itno the port then drag your finger out you can feel it. Get dental pick or other sharp object under the gasket and lift towards the center of the port so it folds up and you can then yank the whole thing out.

It is much easier to put new pipes on if you have someone to support the tail end while you line up the exhaust port end.

Let us know how you make out.

·
OFOPOS and Proud of it
221 Posts
SE 16Ga - Like em

DCRANER said:
Maybe this will help as I have about 1,000 miles on my 16 Gauge;

The 16 Gauge IS the V&H BS, but with a larger crossover chamber, so the result is, IMHO, the same look but not as loud as the V&H.

V&H BS = Drag race car sound

16 Gauge = Street Muscle car sound
DCRANER

No opinion on V&H but agree with you on 16 Ga sound.

Idle = Muscle car at idle sound

Acceleration = Small Block V8 with Glass Packs. Seems to blend individual cylinder exhaust pulses so it sound more like a V4 or V8 than a twin.

Cruise = Small Block V8 with Glass Packs. Much less bothersome than SE II slipons. Probably because exhaust extend almost to rear axle.

Reall good low end grunt. Thrid gear standing start requires slight touch of clutch to prevent engine shake. Second gear starts no problem. First gear walking speed very smooth.

Only nit so far is you can see discoloration where expansion chamber is not covered by heat shields Not noticable unless you are looking for it.

Think I'll keep em.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
oldjime said:
DCRANER

No opinion on V&H but agree with you on 16 Ga sound.

Idle = Muscle car at idle sound

Acceleration = Small Block V8 with Glass Packs. Seems to blend individual cylinder exhaust pulses so it sound more like a V4 or V8 than a twin.

Cruise = Small Block V8 with Glass Packs. Much less bothersome than SE II slipons. Probably because exhaust extend almost to rear axle.

Reall good low end grunt. Thrid gear standing start requires slight touch of clutch to prevent engine shake. Second gear starts no problem. First gear walking speed very smooth.

Only nit so far is you can see discoloration where expansion chamber is not covered by heat shields Not noticable unless you are looking for it.

Think I'll keep em.
Right on, I do also like mine. Just the right mix of looks, sound, and performance..................you can live with.

Is there a pic of your Heritage with these pipes? I love my FXDWG, but if I hit the LOTTO I would add a Heritage Classic, that thing is right out of a 50's biker movie IMHO. :clap: {salute(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies, think I will be putting a set on for the spring..

All,,,thanks again,,,and happy holidays:beer:

·
Registered
28 Posts
16 Gauge

I was at the dealership and a bike pulled in for service work and it sounded so good I had to ask the service manager what kind of pipes those were. He said 16 gauge. You can't go wrong with those. I love my SE II slip ons, but must admit these sound better!

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Awesome sound !!!

stuck the Big City Thunder Monster Baffles in mine, loud !!! I think they should send along a set of earplugs along with the T-shirt :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone know if and when the 16 gauge double barrel will be available for the Dyna 06?:dunno: The new Dyna's have the oxygen sensor in the exhaust header. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts