V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 04 fxsts and thinking about putting on Screamin' Eagle 16 gauge Doublel Barrel pipes. Anyone used them, what about sound and performance?

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
They are not worth the money. They sound like slip-ons. Don't waste your money. I had them, took them off, and put them on E-Bay. I got a set of V&H Big Shot Staggerred.

V&H or anyone else is a much better exhaust than anything that HD has to offer. Stick with the aftermarket.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm not a performance fanatic so I don't know about that aspect - they don't hurt stock performance.

I think they sound good, but they aren't loud - you can only hear them one house away. They are good quality.

That said, I also removed mine and replaced them with V&H Big Radius.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Well, I guess I am in the minority. I have them and like them, but it is based on what you are looking for.

Bottom line is.....................

1. They are made by V&H for HD, excellent quality.
2. Larger crossover chamber & quieter baffels than V&H BS Staggards, but same basic exhaust as V&H BS Staggards.
3. Most people don't like them because they are not loud enough.

If you want loud traditional Harley sound, get the V&H, if you want the look of the V&H but with a good sound that you can cruise all day and live with, get the 16 Gauge.

At first they are too quiet IMHO, but now after 1,800 miles they sound very good, and I think after about 5,000 miles they would be just right...flor me. But they will never be quite as loud as the V&H.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SE 16g DB

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input got me thinking twice about these pipes now. I don't want straight pipes loud just to be loud but I do want my Harley to sound like a Harley and hear my pipes. Maybe I'll look at the new Sampson BG3 instead of the SE's.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Python

If you like the look of the SE DBL Barrel check out the Python staggereds. They are basically the SE DBL Barrel pipe w/a lounder sound. I had them and they are great pipes. The powerchamber provide a lot of torque. I can't say enough about Python pipes. They are the best bang for the buck...

·
What did I do now?
965 Posts
fxsts04 said:
Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input got me thinking twice about these pipes now. I don't want straight pipes loud just to be loud but I do want my Harley to sound like a Harley and hear my pipes. Maybe I'll look at the new Sampson BG3 instead of the SE's.
When I had my Heritage, I installed the Vance & Hines Big Shot Staggered. They sounded perfect, and fit well. They are LOUD! Be prepared!

·
Can it get any better!
423 Posts
I must be another minority. I have had my 16 guage dbls since the bike was broke in. I love them. Yes they are made by V&H for HD and the quality shows. Also the crossover chamber keeps them a little quieter (not by much) than the V&H Staggereds. I think they are an excellent choice for pipes that are not too loud, but loud enough to "sound like a Harley".

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
try this

fxsts04 said:
you can replace the baffles in the 16 ga. pipes with:v&h quiet baffles,khrome werks hp,or thunder monsters etc

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
FatBobRob said:
you can replace the baffles in the 16 ga. pipes with:v&h quiet baffles,khrome werks hp,or thunder monsters etc
I was told by V&H that their Quiet Baffles would not fit the 16 Gauge exhaust. Are they lying to me?

I do like my 16 Gauge, paid a lot for them so I am keeping them, but a little deeper sound would be nice, although as miles accumulate they do sound better.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
fxsts04 said:
I ride a 04 fxsts and thinking about putting on Screamin' Eagle 16 gauge Doublel Barrel pipes. Anyone used them, what about sound and performance?
Click my links at the bottom of my page. Looks and sound! I've had them for 4 yrs now and I'm "happy". Never considered changing them.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
TNHARLEY said:
Two words to describe them. THEY SUCK I had them changed to V/H bigshot staggered and love them. Mike
Bah...hum...bug!:whatever:

fxsts04, guess you better try them for yourself!

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Carrie said:
Bah...hum...bug!:whatever:

fxsts04, guess you better try them for yourself!
Again, the knock on these pipes is they are not loud enough.

The V&H Staggards or BigShots sound terrific, a loud deep Harley sound...........but, that better be what you want to hear all the time.

The 16 Gauge perform very well, but are just not overly loud.

Matter of choice I guess.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Carrie said:
I don't have the baffles in mine, so I don't quite get this statement...
:dunno:
I am saying as they come with baffles, they are not as loud as the V&H pipes, and many here don't like the 16 Gauge because they are not loud enough for most peoples tastes.

So, are you saying you yanked the baffles out of your 16 Gauge?, and if so what is the sound & performance difference.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
i have the 16 gauge and the bss, never used the the standard baffles on the 16 gauge used the baffles that came with the bss and the 16 gauge sounds deeper better to me but for the best sound i used thundermonsters but lost low end tq

1 - 17 of 17 Posts