V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Screamin' Eagle® Stage I Kit for EFI Models - I see it on the Harley website for $139 bucks...a couple questions. (FaT Boy Motor)

1-For $139 and 10+ hp and torque this seems like a no brainer is there any reason why someone would NOT want to do this?? Make the engine run hot or something, any negative effect??

2-The parts are $139, what does the service shop usually charge to install it??

3-Why the heck doesn't Harley make this the standard engine config??? It's not the the 88 has overabundance of horse power.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I stopped at the local dealer last week to talk about just that very thing. To do the Stage 1 download is $149 + labor...roughly a little less than $200. Then we get into the Stage 1 air cleaner and all it's bits and pieces, that where the $139 you've brought up comes into play. If you want the dealer to install that, it's hourly shop rate ($80 and hour?). Now we're up to about $400.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
csoday is giving you the straight skinny. :yes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay noob alert...what is a flash, and what set of pipes is recommended??

I like the look of the double shotgun pipes so I would prefer something very close.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Justyntym said:
Okay noob alert...what is a flash, and what set of pipes is recommended?? That would be an ECM flash to raise your rev limit and add a little more fuel to compensate for the extra air you are pumping

I like the look of the double shotgun pipes so I would prefer something very close.
That would be the wrong choice, consider some Cycle Shack slip ons or better yet a good 2-1

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
The Cycle Shack or 2-1 are good options but I have also had good luck with my SE II slip-ons combined with the EFI flash. My total was around $750 including labor, EFI flash and parts. Was definitely worth it -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
The cycle shack slipons are a good place to start and they really sound good , plus the price is good.

·
professional doof
690 Posts
bikebuilderdude said:
There is no one set of pipes that can be recommended, because there is a huge choice of them. Check with some of your fellow riders to see what sounds good to you. :cool:
you couldn't be more wrong. sound will not make power. if you go with something that you think sounds good you may be, and in most cases are giving up some, if not alot of power. i would sugest a goot 2 into 1 pipe such as a thunderheader or the like. i went with looks and sound on my pipes, and knew that i would be giving up a bit of power. it's a give and take some times. some people like the look and sound of a 2-1 pipe, the bonus that they get is that it makes power. then there are some of us (me included) who like the looks of a 2-2 pipe, the draw back is like i said before you're gonna lose power. i knew this when i got my pipes, and it was something that i was willing to deal with. i would suggest that you listen to WYO, and CSODAY on this one. they have been here for quite some time and know their stuff. not to mention i have met and talkled with CSODAY. so i would have a very hard time doubting what he tells you concerning power making mods to your TC88.
josh

·
professional doof
690 Posts
got a transfer to a cushy teaching job. when the weather is good it affords me alot more time riding, so as you can immagine i love it. when are you getting back here by the way? let me know and i'll see if i can arrange some time off and we'll hit the road for a day.
josh

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, I've been considering the Stage 1 flash - '05 fatboy, Hypercharger, PCIII and V&H Bigshot Staggered.

I would not do it for the raise in the rev limiter only and seeing that I ride on an island 20km by 40 km, I'm never too far away for home and this negates the PCIII failure / emergency issue.

However, I compared the 182 and 183 maps and this has me puzzled. The 183 map for a Stage 1 ECM is richer in a lot of areas, or at least the same as the stock ECM map. If the Stage 1 ECM is richer as a base AND the map is richer, then I'm adding a lot more fuel than first meets the eye ?

Second, is this absolutely the only two areas that the Stage 1 flash alters - rev limiter and fuel ? Anything else like knock sensors etc ?

PS. No dyno available at all. A/F sensors and gauges ....... and the dyno I'm sitting on !

·
fatbillscustoms
157 Posts

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
You can save money if you order the SE AC parts separately instead of buying the $139 kit. I ordered the SE chrome backplate, plus all the other parts, and then ordered a KN filter... the whole thing came to $111. So for cheaper money, I got the chrome backplate plus a better filter. If you need part numbers, let me know.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,644 Posts
K & N Filter

Has anyone looked at this new K & N Filter RK-3909 for Twin-Cams? It is suppose to flow 337cfm. I am thinking of that instead of a SE even though it costs more. If it gets me more torque I want it.

·
professional doof
690 Posts
JamieWG said:
You can save money if you order the SE AC parts separately instead of buying the $139 kit. I ordered the SE chrome backplate, plus all the other parts, and then ordered a KN filter... the whole thing came to $111. So for cheaper money, I got the chrome backplate plus a better filter. If you need part numbers, let me know.

ummmmm yes i would like that chrome back plate P/N. i'm asking because i'm feeling lazy tonight. thanks in advance
josh

wkohn....there is no substitute for K&N, but what do i know....lol

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
apache36 said:
ummmmm yes i would like that chrome back plate P/N. i'm asking because i'm feeling lazy tonight. thanks in advance
josh

here you go..

I ordered these parts from Zanotti:

29510-05 - Chrome Backplate
11292 - O-Ring (2)
29557-05 - Breather Plug (2)
3938 - Torx Screw (3)
29447-99A - A/C Mounting Studs (3)

Cost - $54.14 shipped to the door.

Get K&N HD-0800 and you're all set to go. This stuff all worked on an EFI Dyna.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,644 Posts
apache36 said:
josh

To go with the 29510-05 backplate that Jamie gave you. The HD-0800 KN filter can be had for a little under $39 including shipping at www.fox-performance.com

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
the flashes are still epa compliant------can you say lean??????????

1 - 20 of 32 Posts