V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Gee, I don't know. Do sparks accompany the scraping sound? LOL Isn't the wear indicator the black line? Kinda like tires.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mine used to wear like that. Then I replaced my floorboards with forward controls, and now it's my boot heels that wear like that.:)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Do you have any feeling in your knee?:D

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If you think he looks weird trapped in the nose cone cover, you ought to see him in person. Really have to be careful riding behind him too. If you're too close, sparks tend have a negative effect on leather jacket. It's like riding at the tail end of a comet. :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've enclosed a picture of something that has helped me to avoid most of the scraping on a Heritage. When it jingles, you know what's next. I use one for each side!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats what the floorboards are for, if i used the bell method I would have to slow down.................a lot, and I'm not willing to do that ! I enjoy the twistiesand have fun throwing sparks. A good rider knows his bike and when it will hit in a corner so he may slow down(not), or counter balance(shift weight like race riders)!! No matter what ride at what speed your abilities and desires can handle, have Fun ride safe and throw sparks !!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wait until you scrape just hard enough to lever the tire off the pavement!

That's no fun!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have to know where that point is, and you're right if you don't your going to slide. If you saw my floorboard, I ride hard and that is the result of thousands of corners. I average 25,000 miles a year without a ticket or accident in over 15 years(some of it is luck, most of it is being observant, knowing your equipment, and riding like you are invisible)! I have been known to slide in the corners too, it's fun. As I said earlier ride at your level and no more. Many magazines have stated that when they get a bike for testing they take it out in a parking lot and corner left and right until they scrape. Better to know when it's going to happen then,instead of when your in a corner with not enough lean. I know when I'm cornering hard and close to scraping it's time to counterbalance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
to scraping it's time to counterbalance

Would that be countersteer?

Alien, I understand and agree with you. I put the bell on the floorboards of the Heritage to keep from tearing the crap outta the bike. Your Glide sets a little higher and is way less prone to scraping, not to mention way better steering.

A bike will drag much more readily at parking lot speeds, than it will at cornering speeds. The engine and your momentum keep the suspension elevated. Hence the reason why we roll on the throttle as we lean the bike over in the turn.

A couple of years back we were in the Smokies riding. There were about 15 of us. This being in the mountains the center of the road has a high crown. Through this mountain road there is over 300 turns in 12 miles.
I was on my heritage. I drug the piss outta the floorboards and the engine guard. The guys on the FBs had the same problem and a lotta of it!

A buddy of mine was on his RK that day and he had not scraped, and he ride very well. We swapped rides! The difference? I did not scrap the roadie. He did scrap the heritage. When I go on the RK and started to ride I could not believe how much better this bike handled in this situation!
What a difference!

The Heritage is Harleys #2 seller behind the FB. When you think about it...it's an usual bike. A softail for style and a FL front end. It's traditional with classic styling. I doubt that I would buy another Heritage. IF the bike I but has an FL front end...it would be a roadie or a glide or a classic. The front ed seems so heavy on the heritage to me...not so on the touring models.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you talking about deals gap ?? If so a few of us took it a few years back, mostly electra glide standards, couple of road kings, and a couple of heritages. All you could hear were floorboards, it was a blast !!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Rode my brother's Fat Boy the other day (mine's a Standard) and after three corners I was scraping his floorboards deep!
He was not impressed.

Those boards sure get in the way of my riding style!;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Love the "Bell" ideal!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thealien said:
I hear a scraping sound when I go around corners, Does this happen to any of you ????:eek: :eek: :D
Do that at Deal's Gap? You must have your RG lowered. When mine is on the kick stand, she looks like she is going to fall over.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope, factory shocks and forks, I ride hard !!! Been to deals gap and scraped the whole way through !!

2000 FLTRSEI mostly stock

1 - 20 of 73 Posts