V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a 2005 Dyna Low Rider (fxdli) from my father in law. It's a nice bike, but I have a couple of things that I need to change before I can ride it on a daily basis. I've been riding for about 35 years, so I'm not new to riding. My other bike allows me quite a bit of lean in turns. I don't expect the Low Rider to do the same, but I'm alreading scraping something. I think it'w the left side passenger peg mount. What were they thinking putting this so low? Can this be modified, so that it has the clearance of the right side?
The other problem is the Screaming Eagle pipes. The bike has a stage 1 kit and the pipes I mentioned. I can't hear anything after riding about 2 hours. I wear a helmet, but not earplugs yet. I bought the earplugs and will try that. I want to know if I can install the stock Dyna mufflers back on with the stage 1, or find some baffles that look like they were taken out (there are bolts on the mufflers where I have seen baffles on other bikes). I have to do something or sell the bike (which I don't want to do). Help.

slarson

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
you can visit your dealer and ak for some stock "take offs". usually pretty cheap. you can also look at the SE slip ons on display to confirm if your baffles have been removed.

·
Banned
871 Posts
slarson said:
I just inherited a 2005 Dyna Low Rider (fxdli) from my father in law. It's a nice bike, but I have a couple of things that I need to change before I can ride it on a daily basis. I've been riding for about 35 years, so I'm not new to riding. My other bike allows me quite a bit of lean in turns. I don't expect the Low Rider to do the same, but I'm alreading scraping something. I think it'w the left side passenger peg mount. What were they thinking putting this so low? Can this be modified, so that it has the clearance of the right side?
The other problem is the Screaming Eagle pipes. The bike has a stage 1 kit and the pipes I mentioned. I can't hear anything after riding about 2 hours. I wear a helmet, but not earplugs yet. I bought the earplugs and will try that. I want to know if I can install the stock Dyna mufflers back on with the stage 1, or find some baffles that look like they were taken out (there are bolts on the mufflers where I have seen baffles on other bikes). I have to do something or sell the bike (which I don't want to do). Help.

slarson
Why did they make it so low? It's a Low Rider. :hystria: What is your other bike? Don't forget, Harleys aren't designed to handle like a superbike... they're cruisers. :) The only exceptions are the Sportster or Buell. But seriously, there are many ways to increase cornering clearance.

You might be able to fabricate some brackets yourself, or you can find many parts for that purpose at places like J&P Cycle, Custom Chrome, etc. Just shop around. What I would do first is to find something to relocate your pegs. If you can't find something you like, they next step would be to get slightly longer shocks, or a relocation kit to raise the frame height. I wouldn't go more than an inch, or it will have an adverse effect on the handling. That small change will give you quite a bit more cornering clearance, though.

As for the exhaust... if you go back to the stock mufflers, you will lose a LOT of power! Check out some other bikes and find out which sound good to you, and ask the owner how they perform. Try to get something besides what your local stealership offers. You can get much better pipes for a lot less money of you shop around.

From my experience, I'd say your best bet would be a 2-1 exhaust. It will put the sound well behind you, and they are also some of the best performing pipes available. Some brands might reduce some of your right-turn clearance, though. You'll have to see a set installed to see if they do. I use the V&H Pro-Pipe on a Dyna Convertible and my pegs will scrape before the pipe will. They have different baffles available, and with the included (default) baffles they are quiet enough that I can cruise all day, for several days, without excess noise bugging me. Nice and mellow while cruising, but they will get a bit loud when cranking on the throttle. :)

Don't forget, no matter what you end up doing to your exhaust, you must get it dyno-tuned if you want it to run well.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Look underneath the bike and it should be very apparant what is scraping. On my 05 LowRider I scrape one of the exhaust bolts on the right side and the left side I scrape the frame - there is actually bump on the frame that does the scraping.

No matter what you do a lowrider is going to scrape at times - get used to it - it's really not a big deal as long as you don't panic and try to straighten it up.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Best solution as mentioned in previous posts, Progressive 440 heavy duty shocks. I'll bet a dime to a donut also, that if you look at your rear fender edges you will notice that there is paint chipping on both sides where the fender edge hits the brake caliper on right side and belt guard on left side!

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
:thanks: - now I have to run home and check the fenders.

The scraping really doesn't bother me - the bottoming out going over dips does suck though.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
you might consider SE torque slip ons pipes they are slightly quieter than the SE IIs. they also sell HD 49 state legal ones. I have the SE toque slip ons and like them. I had louder pipes before them so I can relate to not enjoying riding with louder pipes, not everone will agree with that but you asked.

Good luck and ride safe.

here' the link to SE exhaust

http://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/R...orm.asp?separts=3&locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Post a Want to Buy add in the Free Craiglist classifieds for your area in the motorcycle section asking for some stock takeoff mufflers. You should be able to get them really cheap. There are rear shocks that come on the rest of the Dyna family that are 1 inch taller than those on the low rider, they'll fit your bike, and you can find takeoffs on ebay.

·
Banned
871 Posts
AustinFXDWG said:
Post a Want to Buy add in the Free Craiglist classifieds for your area in the motorcycle section asking for some stock takeoff mufflers. You should be able to get them really cheap. There are rear shocks that come on the rest of the Dyna family that are 1 inch taller than those on the low rider, they'll fit your bike, and you can find takeoffs on ebay.
Yeah, that's right! :duh?: Check the shocks for a Superglide. They have the highest ground clearance of all the Dynas. Also, J&P Cycle has several brands available in different lengths in half inch increments. You might only need to raise it .5 to 1 inch to notice a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts