V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any experiance with the honda,susuki, or yamaha scooters if so which one in particular,, some say the silver wing hauls real good as does the susuki 650. not sure how good they mean but still curious bout the smaller hondas and the otheres mentioned here how the do abd the ability to run tow up Thanks

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
happyman said:
anyone have any experiance with the honda,susuki, or yamaha scooters if so which one in particular,, some say the silver wing hauls real good as does the susuki 650. not sure how good they mean but still curious bout the smaller hondas and the otheres mentioned here how the do abd the ability to run tow up Thanks
A 6'1 270lb friend of mine has a Honda Silver wing. Now, he couldn't accelerate like I could. But he could run top end around like 75mph I think. Lots of storage too. He put two large pizza and three 1 liter sodas in there. I would still recommend a motorcycle over a scooter for acceleration though.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rock Steady said:
A 6'1 270lb friend of mine has a Honda Silver wing. Now, he couldn't accelerate like I could. But he could run top end around like 75mph I think. Lots of storage too. He put two large pizza and three 1 liter sodas in there. I would still recommend a motorcycle over a scooter for acceleration though.[/QUOTEThanks for the info!! ya i hear of them now and again have heard the silver wing will do well ovewr 100mph.. i am quite sure it won't pull like motorcycle at all. just kinda curious if anyone here owned one or like you knows someone who does and has any info on them don't care about the littel scooters below 385cc's ya i own a 14 road glide and have had a lot of them 14 total and a couple brit bikes and 4 grinders all good stuff ahhh i have had a scooter i forgot about was in 1958 was a 1947 was a blast to me then at 13 years old. would go about 45 is all but better than walking

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
happyman said:
Rock Steady said:
A 6'1 270lb friend of mine has a Honda Silver wing. Now, he couldn't accelerate like I could. But he could run top end around like 75mph I think. Lots of storage too. He put two large pizza and three 1 liter sodas in there. I would still recommend a motorcycle over a scooter for acceleration though.[/QUOTEThanks for the info!! ya i hear of them now and again have heard the silver wing will do well ovewr 100mph.. i am quite sure it won't pull like motorcycle at all. just kinda curious if anyone here owned one or like you knows someone who does and has any info on them don't care about the littel scooters below 385cc's ya i own a 14 road glide and have had a lot of them 14 total and a couple brit bikes and 4 grinders all good stuff ahhh i have had a scooter i forgot about was in 1958 was a 1947 was a blast to me then at 13 years old. would go about 45 is all but better than walking
You looking for something just to commute? Like a gas saver?

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
vtxjosh said:
I was told by an employee at a Honda store that a Silver Wing would do 120mph.:dunno:
Did he say if that was down hill, with a heavy tail wind, and two fat guys on'er? These things factor in when calculating mph. :265:

P.S. Just kidding with a ya Josh.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've ridden the Honda Silver Wing and the big Aprilia. Those new super scooters will rock and roll. They can put a stock Softail to shame. NOt for me though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, the fellow in the honda shop is pretty right, it is about the top speed he said. I saw a top speed of 175 KPH on a siver wing by my self and that was about it! If transalete it to MPH it's 109.375 MPH, althow he said 120, maybe the modle is a bit different than the one you have ther, Because of differnt polution regulation. Or maybe he a bit over astimate it, but only by a bit.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
happyman said:
I've had a Honda Reflex 250. It's brilliant around town and even fine, if not exciting, for solo touring. No problem highway cruising at 70mph all day. I've currently got a Burgman 650 Executive. It turns and stops much better than my FXST, and you won't find a bike with better weather protection no matter how much you pay. Not nearly as much grunt as my Harley but the acceleration's still pretty good thanks to the electronic CVT transmission (always ensures optimal gearing when you gas it) and it will see 100mph without a problem. Loads of waterproof underseat and fairing storage -- add a Givi top box and you can carry as much as a Goldwing. I think it would be able to tow a small trailer without a problem. Check www.burgmanusa.com for more info.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
I bought a 2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 Scooter for my wife last year. She had maybe rode 100 miles by herself in her whole life. We took off on a 2 week tour with her on the Burgman and me on my FLHT. Rode from Alberta, Canada to Montana, Idaho, Washington, British Columbia, Canada and back home to Alberta. The Burgman was fantastic. Top speed of 115 MPH. Cruises all day long at whatever speed you choose and hauls a tremendous amount of gear under the seat. Averaged 63 MPG during the trip. Going up mountain passes she said at any time she had plenty of power in reserve. They are an amazing machine for someone who doesn't feel comfortable shifting gears but wants to ride motorcycles. Maintenance is easy. Like the HD they have 3 oil cavaties. Engine oil, transmission oil, and final drive oil. I can't recommend the Burgman highly enough.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Neighbor's input

My neighbor has been scootering for 20 years, is part of a general scootering club so he sees and hears comments on many of them. He's got no less than 7 scooters in his barn. They all run. He and/or his wife ride each of them for different things, different moods, etc.

He comes from the "all scooters are neat" school of thought (no brand-loyalty) so his opinions seemed to be more based on experiences rather than emotion.

I was picking his brain a little lately because my wife thought she might like one.

What he's told me is this:

1) Because of the area we live in he recommends sticking with Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki. Nothing wrong with the other brands, they may be fine - but go with something that has strong dealer support where you'll be riding. You may not want to wait an extra few days for that part to come in....

2) He sez 50ccs are only good for in-town grocery getters. Top speed is going to be around 30-35mph. Be careful where you ride these.

3) He sez 125ccs are better for in-town grocer getters and the occasional country road, but top speed is still only 45-50 so be careful where you ride these.

4) He sez don't consider anything less than a 250cc if you plan to be on the interstate. You'll get run over. Depending on your size, a 250 may not even have enough get-up-and-go to do any quick passing if necessary. He and his wife ride their 250s (separately) mostly and they seem to think they get the best mileage because of their power/weight ratio.

5) He sez don't consider anything less than a 400 if you think you'll ever ride 2-up on the interstate.

6) When it comes to the biggest (600/650) scooters, he recommends Yamaha's Majesty or Suzuki's Burgman. He owns several Hondas but his experience (and others, apparently) is that the Honda Silver Wing can be overly torquey and harder to handle (perhaps) than the Y or S.

7) He sez don't consider a 600/650 unless you're power hungry, plan to do lots of touring or plan to do lots of 2-up riding. He sez you will only be sacrificing gas mileage if you're going to do mostly 1-up riding, mostly around town w/ an occasional interstate run

Since my wife's wanting something only for recreation and the occasional Sunday afternoon cruise, we're looking at the Yamaha and Suzuki 400s. Prices are comparable (around $5K out the door for new ones). I like the Suzuki styling better (just a taste thing). But the real reason we'll probably buy it is because the seat is 2" shorter than the Yamaha Majesty and Mrs BluegrassBoy is only 5'-5".

His opinion has helped us focus our search. Hope this helps you, too.
BB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts