V-Twin Forum banner

Schwarzenegger riding illegally

5K views 61 replies 32 participants last post by  jasilva 
Since Arnold had the sidecar on, he was NOT driving illegally.

However, it is common knowledge that he usually rides without the sidecar and of course, he does not have a motorcycle license.

Why can't the media get something as simple as this right. Wonder how accurate they are at reporting what is really important.

jrehm said:
Surely this can't be a serious question.
Surely......

ThunderHog said:
Not making a judgement here.......hell, I rode many years without a motorcycle license too (after they became required). Just trying to help get the facts out there........you guys make the judgement.
I don't think local laws override the state laws and it would be unreasonable to expect residents of California to be aware of all the potential mutations within each county or jurisdiction of the state. Come on man...

There was a certain mayor allowing gay marriages in San Francisco when it was clearly against the law and subsequently all said marriages were considered null. Just because a government official says it is so, does not make it legally so.

Thunderhog said:
You have been here 3 months , and you make a post like that.....You are way off base...Maybe you should learn a little about the people you talk **** about.Go and read some posts , and come back and tell me that..Or , you can close your mouth, and learn about the group before you post.
WTF does this have to do with anything?

Homarr said:
I just read CA's motorcycle handbook out of curiosity. Please everyone do the same. The definition of a motorcycle on Page 1 seems very clear to me!

This link is directly to the book.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf
Maybe and maybe not. While a two wheeled vehicle with an attached sidecar is considered a motorcycle, it is not necessary to have a motorcyle license to operate one. I believe the issue is not the definition of a motorcycle, but the license classification necessary to operate a motorcycle with an attached sidecar. For those of you not residing in California, the Class C license is the standard drivers license for operating a car.

I pulled these both out of the DMV book from your link.

A motorcycle:
Has a seat or saddle for the rider; is designed to travel on not more than three wheels; and weighs less than 1,500 pounds. A farm tractor is not a motorcycle. Exception : A motorcycle with a two-wheeled sidecar weighing less than 1,500 pounds is also considered a motorcycle.

California issues the following license classes for two-wheel vehicle operation:
Class M1—You may operate any two-wheel motorcycle or motor-driven cycle and all vehicles listed under Class M2. Class M2—You may operate any motorized bicycle or any bicycle with an attached motor. Class C —You may operate a motorcycle with a sidecar attached, a three-wheel motorcycle, or a motorized scooter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.