V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
California governor admits he has no motorcycle license

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was riding his motorcycle illegally over the weekend when he collided with a car in his Los Angeles neighborhood, police said Tuesday.

Los Angeles Police Lt. Paul Vernon said Schwarzenegger does not have the proper endorsement on his California driver's license to operate a motorcycle.

Vernon said police did not ticket the governor for a violation because they arrived after the wreck, in which Schwarzenegger suffered a cut on his upper lip that required 15 stitches. His 12-year-old son, Patrick, who was riding in a sidecar, was unhurt.

Instead, officers referred their findings to the Los Angeles city attorney's office, which will determine whether the governor should be cited for an infraction. Driving a motorcycle without the proper license can result in fines ranging from $100 to $250 or more.

I don't know if I would of made it home without a ticket...probably not....

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
If someone can jump a FatBoy off a bridge chasing after a semi while wielding a shotgun does he really need a license?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Since Arnold had the sidecar on, he was NOT driving illegally.

However, it is common knowledge that he usually rides without the sidecar and of course, he does not have a motorcycle license.

Why can't the media get something as simple as this right. Wonder how accurate they are at reporting what is really important.

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
It's funny that he has a CHP protection detail and they didn't just take care of the "governator" license issue...

But, this is all mute anyway since the accident happened while he was legally operating a motorcycle with a sidecar, which as stated earlier, does not require a motorcycle endorsement. A trike doesn't either, for that matter...

Lets forget the fact that an old hag pulled out in front of another motorcycle... The press just goes and tries to blame the biker, like usual...

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
When he is riding his " Two wheeled motorcycle "The law in this state says his bike should be towed, and there would be other court fines for riding without a license...
He should face the same penalties that any other citizen should have to face.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Thunderhog said:
When he is riding his " Two wheeled motorcycle "The law in this state says his bike should be towed, and there would be other court fines for riding without a license...
He should face the same penalties that any other citizen should have to face.

Which part of 3 wheeled motor was unclear? :RTFB:

Joe

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
The funny part of this is the phrase ..."did not ticket the governor for a violation because they arrived after the wreck". What, do the officers have to be present when the wreck occurs to give out citations? Is this standard practice in CA? Please explain.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
The CHP were there I beleive.

Arnold did not jump that bike in T2. It was also held up with wires so when it landed it was only 180lbs or so.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
jockeyshift said:
The funny part of this is the phrase ..."did not ticket the governor for a violation because they arrived after the wreck". What, do the officers have to be present when the wreck occurs to give out citations? Is this standard practice in CA? Please explain.
An officer has to observe the infraction or misdemeanor (in this case he/she would have to witness the act of "driving") in order to cite for it, (which is in effect an arrest) unless a private person who witnessed the act wishes to make an arrest. I believe that this is the state of the law in most of the US.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Arnold is the Governator, I would think one of the perks of that position is that he can do pretty well damn near anything he wants. I figure he will have his MC endorsement within the next few days.

·
03FLHRI,84XLH,52ArielVHA
556 Posts
"Since Arnold had the sidecar on, he was NOT driving illegally."

That's interesting. California doesn't require motorcycle endorsement for three-wheelers? :confused: In the case of Washington State they consider two and three wheel vehicles "motorcycles" and expect licensing accordingly. Considering how different sidecar riding is from solo biking and car driving I would think the California's safety-crats would be concerned and still require some form of special endorsement. Most States consider a sidecar an "accessory" to a motorcycle in the same way as saddlebags, luggage racks and so forth. It still makes it a "motorcycle" whether you have it on or off.

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
Archon said:
"Since Arnold had the sidecar on, he was NOT driving illegally."

That's interesting. California doesn't require motorcycle endorsement for three-wheelers? :confused: In the case of Washington State they consider two and three wheel vehicles "motorcycles" and expect licensing accordingly. Considering how different sidecar riding is from solo biking and car driving I would think the California's safety-crats would be concerned and still require some form of special endorsement. Most States consider a sidecar an "accessory" to a motorcycle in the same way as saddlebags, luggage racks and so forth. It still makes it a "motorcycle" whether you have it on or off.
In LA county, it is illegal to ride without an MC license, sidecar or not.
If it were any one of us, the bike would have been towed, and you would have to pay aprox $190.00 to get it out of impound..and pay a fine for riding without proper endorsement.
I don't care WHO he is, he is not above the law.

·
EVOs are cool
141 Posts
Arnie

My understanding is that a three-wheeler is not considered to be a motorcycle in California. A loophole. That's what the L.A. Times has been reporting anyway.

As I recall from taking it years ago, the California written motorcycle test is more difficult than the auto test and includes MSF-style questions about lane positioning, countersteering, etc.. These are the sorts of things not easily learned "seat of the pants." It would be possible that if Arnie hasn't done some studying, or taken an MSF course, he could fail the test. Now THAT would be news. And hilarious.

JazNine

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
JazNine said:
My understanding is that a three-wheeler is not considered to be a motorcycle in California. A loophole. That's what the L.A. Times has been reporting anyway.

As I recall from taking it years ago, the California written motorcycle test is more difficult than the auto test and includes MSF-style questions about lane positioning, countersteering, etc.. These are the sorts of things not easily learned "seat of the pants." It would be possible that if Arnie hasn't done some studying, or taken an MSF course, he could fail the test. Now THAT would be news. And hilarious.

JazNine
Correct, but each county has it's own laws also, and in the county where the accident occured, it is lillegal.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
This kind of stuff looks like people are just waiting for him to screw up, either that, or taking joy in his problems.

As for violations on a motorcycle, I guess all of us here at VTF have "legal decibel" exhaust systems.

All of our ape-hangers are to spec?

All of our tags are up to date and legally displayed?

Heck, are all of us legally a citizen of the USA?

If not, I'd put away that illegal concealed weapon and STFU.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
fourstar said:
An officer has to observe the infraction or misdemeanor (in this case he/she would have to witness the act of "driving") in order to cite for it, (which is in effect an arrest) unless a private person who witnessed the act wishes to make an arrest. I believe that this is the state of the law in most of the US.
Not in Va. for traffic accidents. I can write you ticket for an accident at the scene even if it is a 1 vehicle accident and you, the driver, are the only one on the scene.

·
Registered
786 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
Not in Va. for traffic accidents. I can write you ticket for an accident at the scene even if it is a 1 vehicle accident and you, the driver, are the only one on the scene.
Yea, but would you write the state governor a ticket?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Thunderhog said:
In LA county, it is illegal to ride without an MC license, sidecar or not.
If it were any one of us, the bike would have been towed, and you would have to pay aprox $190.00 to get it out of impound..and pay a fine for riding without proper endorsement.
I don't care WHO he is, he is not above the law.
This brings back memories of Ted Kennedy, Chapaquitic, and Mary Jo Kopechne. And ... Ted's expulsion from Harvard in 1951 for CHEATING. Not that Ted is above any rules, but his family got him reinstated in Harvard and he did get away with murder!

And then there is Al Gore's son ... http://www.courttv.com/people/2004/0202/gore_ap.html

I'm thinking the proper thing for Arnold to do is to simply Pardon himself! :thumbsup:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
fourstar said:

xxxflhrci said:

Interesting fourstar, NC is like Va as xxx pointed out.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts