V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually ride with a full-face helmet, but when I'm cruising around town I normally have the visor flipped up and rely on wrap-around glasses for eye-protection.

Imagine my horror when a BEE flew over my windshield and into my helmet, where he lodged between my glasses and the side of my helmet. I remember thinking to myself "You are not going to freak out if you get stung..." I pulled off to the side of the road, parked the bike, and ripped gloves, helmet and glasses off as quickly as possible.. the bee was still crawling around in my hair.. so I flicked him off and and he slowly buzzed away.

I really don't know how you would avoid this sort of incident, unless you ALWAYS rode with the visor completely down. I guess it is a good reminder that you need to be prepared for just about anything when you're on the bike; and not to panic too badly when something unexpected does occur.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Wow, that was a close one. I do the same with the visor/glasses thing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Solution might be to increase speed to +100 km/h, then you would have smacked the bee flat with your forehead...:)

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Many years ago I had a freind have a bee fly in through his dump truck window and sting him in the eye. He totaled the dump truck but "walked" away with only a broken leg and very swollen eye. No matter how you LOOK at it you better BEE careful if you drive without glasses.

·
Banned
316 Posts
The glasses part, and the visor don't matter if you get one down the t-shirt as I have had happen. And got stung. Happens to the worst of us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had one get into helmet and then my ear and stung me. I managed to keep it upright and get off the road. I get really "buggy" about flying insects now. Better a bee than a bird! Caught a duck in the chest once at 50mph or so.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A buddy and I were heading out on a rode trip last year and about ten minutes into the ride we were on the highway at crusing alltitude (75 mph) when I see his head go back like he's been clothslined. We pulled over into the breakdown lane there's blood coming out of his mouth and a hole through his front teeth like he was shot, turned out to be a pebble about the size of a pea. Moral of the story, we were right on this cages a$$ about to pass when it happened. .

·
Registered
268 Posts
95 FXST said:
See, now if you didn't have that helmet on none of this would have happened.
I agree with that. Im not promoting riding without a helmet, riding safe is good, but I only wear mine to keep me warmer when its cold out. I just got my Harley about 2 weeks ago. I rode the bike to work a couple of days this week and Tuesday morning it was about 48 degrees so I wore my helmet (first time with the helmet on the new bike). Well, on the way to work I realized you cant see the speedo with a full face helmet without actually moving your head down (My old *** bike had the speedo up on the bars). So that pissed me off about wearing my helmet. Then on the way home from work it was warmer, but I still had no way of getting the helmet home other than to wear it. On my way home the same thing happened to me with a bee. Except I was on the highway, and didn't have a good place to pull over. Well, the bastard stung me in the side of the face. Makes me love helmets even more. Looking back it was kinda funny, but still pissed me off.

With or without the helmet RIDE SAFE.

·
Registered
306 Posts
When my buddy and I rode Sturgis around July 4th, I hit 2 birds in 2 days. The first one was leaving No Name campground and a bird flew in front of my bike and turned around and BAM I nailed him with my front wheel, then next day we were in Southern South Dakota and a bird took off from the shoulder and I hit him with my shoe. Up there it seems the birds sit on the shoulder and when you get neat they fly up in front of you. I thought I was going to take 1 in the head and actually had a few close calls.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice bee story
I couple of weeks ago as me and some friends were hitting the highway, a bee went up my nose and of course stung me. Boy that was a painful experience.
I wonder why no one would help me remove the stinger???

·
Registered
17 Posts
mybenroy said:
I had one get into helmet and then my ear and stung me. I managed to keep it upright and get off the road. I get really "buggy" about flying insects now. Better a bee than a bird! Caught a duck in the chest once at 50mph or so.

A DUCK? Man alive!!!!!!!! How'd the duck fair?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey, at least with a bee you stand a chance of NOT getting stung. What about when some a$$Hole in front of you flicks his butt out of the sunroof? Had that happen the other night. Dodged left and watched the cherry sail by my face (no helmet). Wonder if it was intentional, the VRSCA does have the worlds brightest headlight, so I've been told.

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
mybenroy said:
Caught a duck in the chest once at 50mph or so.
A duck? That musta hurt like he!!. I've had to bob and weave a few birds with my head, and had a bug (big 'un) hit me in the right thigh, bounce off my left shoulder, and was sore for several minutes. Can't imagine a duck though.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I was behind my friend tooling down the Autobahn at 75 and his right passenger footpeg came off and I watched it bounce even with my head a foot to the left. Bad thing is, it was my footpeg I let him borrow so he and his wife could do the weenie bite.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Heard a story about this guy that was wearing shorts and a tanktop with no helmet, get on his metric bike and take off from where he said goodbye to his friends. They were at a park, playing volleyball. He didn't go more than about 200 feet when he started to do some kind of dance on the seat, the bike veered left then right and crashed into a wall. Turned out a bee and flown up hs shorts and stung him where the sun don't shine!

He wasn't hurt too badly, but every time I think of this I have to chuckle as I get a visual of this guy squirming around on the seat. And can just imagine what he could be yelling.

I see a lot of people riding bikes with shorts and sandles on, and no helmet. Taking a big risk not wearing at least pants and a good pair of boots.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts