V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Scotchsman heads from SBC. In my discussions with SBC, I understand they deck the heads 0.080" to increase the CR to about 9.8. I'm concerned with the heads running too hot because of this. Is this concern warranted? I have an '03 Heritage with a stage II Big bore kit, 203's, and V&H 2-1 propipe. Any help/advice on these or different heads would be greatly appreciated. As always cost is an issue. I also have a line on 211 cams...good or bad?

Flat Top

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
They actually are a quite expensive option for heads with stock guides and springs.
You can get the same or better results at a lower cost from Big Boyz

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
Big Boyz porting $299 + mill & cc $95 = $394
SBC porting $395 + mill & cc $0 = $395

Cost about the same.

Big Boyz uses stock valves for better bottom end,
SBC uses large valves for better top end.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Measuring and milling are optional at Big Boyz. Sometimes if you have not purchased pistons and you have your heads measured, you can choose a piston that will bring your compression in line to where you want it without milling because of your combustion chamber size.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
In answer to the orignal question "did the heads make the bike run hotter" I found the opposite. Before I put the heads on I was running stock heads with the 95 build and cams and the bike ran hot. It had been dynoed. After I put the heads on I had it dynoed and it runs much cooler now. I don't know if this answers your question or not. I was satisfied with the work from SBC but can't really save if it was as good as some of the other porters.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just installed my 95" kit from SBC. '02 heads for '02 heads, '02 jugs for '02 jugs, (converted from silver to black), and all new parts installed on the cc'd/ported heads. Quality and workmanship is stellar! They even sent them to Diamond cut the fins for me, (due to their location), before they packed and shipped everything back to me. Great guys to deal with. Very good communication. The performance I gained is nothing short of awesome. Not even broken in yet.
Just my HO based on my personal experience with them. When I spoke with them, they made it quite apparent that they were customer satisfaction focused...

DLR

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I feel better about going with SBC. My cam choice is probably not the best (211), but for the money ($100), I'm willing to give them a shot. Thanks again.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Flat top said:
Thanks for all the input. I feel better about going with SBC. My cam choice is probably not the best (211), but for the money ($100), I'm willing to give them a shot. Thanks again.
The SE 211 cam's not bad, but it likes a lot of compression...over 10:1 or the lower end may suffer...don't know if the SBC heads will get you there without some other pistons than the flat tops.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Flat Top,
Glad I could help out.
DLR

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
Flat top said:
For $100 more you can get an Andrews TW37B that will love the compression you are planning. Think about the cost of going back in to replace the 211 when you are unhappy with it.
go to www.jirehcycles.com
and look for part 114-58
$199.95

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Genoway,
Thanks for the link. I new 211's liked more compression, but I didn't know it needed to be more than 10:1. Just what I needed to do...spend more money. LOL

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Flat top, while I have heard good and not so good things about SBC, unless your on a tight budget, why not give Bill Bishop a call. He's in Redford, Mi. almost your backyard. Bill has a very good reputation. No I don't work for him, just know some that are really satisfied.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hammer (Bill & Amy) definitely would be a good option. If he is close to home the two way shipping of a set of heads makes the difference in price negligible.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
One of my riding buds got hosed by SBC. SBC eventually made it right but not without a hassle. The heads he got looked like they were sliding around in the back of a pickup for a month. Might of been an isolated incident but I would be cautious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hippo,
Thanks for the thought starter, i.e. shipping costs. Sometimes I just can't see the trees through the forrest. I have looked on their web site, but discounted them due to my budget. BUT, considering shipping, it comes close to a wash. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
For an example, round trip to here and back with $600 insurance is about $42 UPS. You should be able to check the cost of shipping to anywhere at www.ups.com or fedex or any other major shippers website.

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
Ok, you got a second from Hippo. I'll give a third!
Hammer down!
Hammer also matches your intake manifold to the new intake port for only $35more the than the other 2 with street port and cc and mill you mentioned. $430 for a street port.

SBC with manifold matching: $490
Big Boyz with manifold matching: $434
Hammer with manifold matching: $430

Plus, Bill includes his own design valve guides at that price.

Oh, and like Big Boyz, Hammer knows torque.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
FWIW, I drop in and visit Bill and Amy from time to time and have seen him in action. Bill takes care of his customers and stands behind his work. First class folks.

GC

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Flat top said:
Hippo,
Thanks for the thought starter, i.e. shipping costs. Sometimes I just can't see the trees through the forrest. I have looked on their web site, but discounted them due to my budget. BUT, considering shipping, it comes close to a wash. Thanks again.
The shipping can kill you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts