V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search last night on "O-ring" and well into my 5th page of thread reviews, I found one from '04 that stated that "only (2) o-rings were used to seal the jug base to the block..." "The big one around the cylinder base, and 1 around the dowel with the machined recess around it..." It also said that "The other dowel was used only for alignment of the cylinder to the block and did not return oil to the crankcase..., therefore it did not require an o-ring...." Am I losing it? If this is true, I'm looking for an o-ring that isn't missing. Can someone help me with this??

Thanks!
DLR:unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
I did a search last night on "O-ring" and well into my 5th page of thread reviews, I found one from '04 that stated that "only (2) o-rings were used to seal the jug base to the block..." "The big one around the cylinder base, and 1 around the dowel with the machined recess around it..." It also said that "The other dowel was used only for alignment of the cylinder to the block and did not return oil to the crankcase..., therefore it did not require an o-ring...." Am I losing it? If this is true, I'm looking for an o-ring that isn't missing. Can someone help me with this??

Thanks!
DLR:unsure:

Parts manual FXST 2003:

11140 0-rings (2)
16595-99A Dowel ring (4)

Service manual interpretation
One O-ring per cylinder at the base, the location of the ring for the rear cylinder is on the lower left corner as seen from the exhaust side. The corresponding O-rings on the head side of the cylinder can be easily located. In other words, there is one dowel O-ring per cylinder at the base and one at the head.
You are not loosing it, how many dowel o-rings do you have recovered from the engine?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you look at the deck surface of the cases it becomes really obvious, there is a recess machined into the opening for the cylinder spigot where the large base O ring goes, and then each cylinder has two dowels but only the downside dowel has a recess machined around the dowel for the little O ring.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't recovered any....haven't been back inside yet, and it sounds like there's no need to as I haven't lost an o-ring to begin with....Damn, haven't slept for nights. Went to HDealer and asked them for complete jug to block o-ring kit. Got 4 small o-rings.... Just assumed there should be (4), ie; 1 for each dowel. (FSM isn't real clear on this)....Went to Hippo's Tips and he also confirms that there is only one small 0-ring used on one dowel at the jug/ block mating surface, the one with the concentric relief machined around it. I couldn't imagine when I first looked at the block / jug how the other dowel/o-ring could have sealed anything ......This is all great news!!! I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A MISSING O-RING AFTER ALL!!!! Tonight we :beer: then sleep!

?prty: ?prty: ?prty: ?prty:

Hope this helps somebody avoid this dilema... Just glad I didn't rush into an unnecessary recovery effort !!

DLR

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
In other words you would recover four used O rings in this area, two big O rings, ie one from each cylinder spigot, and two little ones, ie one from each cylinder downside dowel.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct. 4 total from the "case end" of the jugs, being 2 small and 2 large.

I "assumed" that all the dowels were o-ringed because the lower jug "kit" my stealer sold me had 4 small o-rings in it......I figured they were for all 4 of the lower dowels..... Lessons learned.....I guess...:flames:

DLR

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I took apart my 06 FLHXI ther were no o-rings between the cylinders
and the heads. Just the two large and two small between the cylinders and
the case.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mister A,
Perhaps a design change eliminated the o-rings and/or a new style gasket is used that takes the place of the o-rings, like the Cometic gaskets do on 95" BB heads..?? One of the guys on here would know this answer for sure, but I'm certain HD did something that justified their demise....
DLR

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
They did change this at some time in the past.
I remember HD top end gasket kits where the stock included head gaskets were intended to be used without the O rings.
Don't remember when as I always threw the stock gaskets away, but it has been quite some time, ie even before the 06's came out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts