V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever installed the Sanatee Wide Tire Kit for a softail, 91-99? I'm thinking about ordering one, and looking to do a little reasearch on it. I want to keep the size to a 200, nothing bigger. Thanks in advance.

Ride Safe,
Cnightrain
99' FXSTB

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
re Santee kit

You are smart to check out these kits before purchasing! The Santee kit is extending the tranny and spacing out the primary, which stresses your tranny and starter. They advertise that the mass of the weight is still centered, but it only makes sense that some of the weight is shifted to the left. You cannot replace the existing swingarm and put on a wider tire without shifting the center of gravity if you are using the existing left-side drive tranny. The ONLY way to safely avoid this and go to a wide tire is to go to a right-side drive setup which means a wider tire than you were thinking about. If you want to go wide, in my opinion the 300mm conversions with right-side drive are safer than the smaller tire conversions with offset kits. You can take your hands off the wheel and still go straight down the road just like it came from the factory. For more info on wide tire conversion kits for softails, check out Chubby's Choppers website in Lansing MI and hopefully you will get the info you need to make an informed decision. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trying to understand why the extended tranny shaft would cause additonal wear. The 240 kit on my '04 standard has a spacer on the tranny that supports the extended shaft. Seems to me that the exact same amount of shaft is driving the belt as before the conversion.

As for the left side heavy theory, we are talking less than 10 pounds being moved left about 1". Ever carry a six pack in one side of a saddle bag and nothing in the other? The bike still cruises straight down the highway with no hands.

The other alternate of offsetting the tranny seemed too wierd to me. RSD is fine; but causes its own set of issues too.

:beer4u:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts