V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this post came twice....I am looking into Samson slip on mufflers for my 00 FLHRCI. I like Vance and Hines, as I had straight shots on my last bike. These don’t need to be as loud, but I want performance and good looks. I like the cut(s) of some of the Samson models, but I need more feedback on the pipes themselves. Is the performance there in these pipes, and do the blue easy? I was looking at the Silver Bullet series...Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
SFBAYAREA

·
old timer
516 Posts
I used the silver bullet slant cuts on my FLHR and they fit great work well and don't blue....yet !

they provided good sound and along with the SE AirCleaner kit and re-jet the bike performs well.

manny

·
Registered
584 Posts
I hope you see this Manny. I want opinions from others with a RK. Is there no benifit from completely switching the exhaust on a StageI upgrade. Are the slip-ons sufficient? Thanks. Sorry for adding to your thread flhrcirider. J.T.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Got Samsons last week - Rolled Thunder Type 144.

Chrome and over all quality very good, mounting hardware crab, sound - well this is a very personal thing - for me it is ok, not too loud but nothing "head turning".

To answer your question fearnot,

there is a benefit in installing a stage 1 kit in addition to after market pipes.
The reduced backpressure of the new pipes is compensated with a higher airflow.

I noticed heavy back fire while decelerating, which was totally eliminated by installing stage 1.

But you have to be careful what muffler you choose.
My dealer recommended SE or Samsons and he was right - I swapped various pipes with my riding buddies over the last weeks and noticed significant differences.

Unfortunately back fired those pipes most, that sounded the best and loudest.

Aber diese Probleme duerftest Du ja in good old Germany nicht haben, da scheiden die richtig lauten Dinger ja leider aus - die Pipes die wir hier drueben fahren - und die Cops laecheln dazu - wuerden in der Fraenkischen Schweiz (wie ich das Bier bei der Kathi vermisse...) zu drei Jahren verschaerfter Haft fuehren ;-)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thanks, brust60. I don't have my fiancee to verify my translation, but I get the just of the comment. Yep, they are very strict with sound and especially with bikers. Perhaps a gratuitas Bier or two would help keeping the Politzei off your back. However, I won't have the bike here. I have to wait until I ETS to even see it. It will be in storage at my garage from Sept or Oct until the end of Mar03. Sucks, but I got a good deal.
Funny, I passed a huge dude on a Heritage Softail Classic, with drag bars, but when the bike passed.......it was as quiet as mouse fart. Totally lost the effect. Sad in my opinion.
I do have some time and don't want to rush into things in reguards to exhaust. I will probably make the upgrade after my 500 or 1000 mi. service.(Though I do dread having to drive around listening to the stock exhaust note.) It will make it all the more sweeter when I convert to the stageI. I have made my AC, cover, and rejetting choices. Pipes are the most important right now, so I want to choose wisely. I want to hear different pipes, also. Am I correct in assuming a certain pipe or slip-on will sound/perform different on different bikes? That's why I want input from as many RK owners as possible. Oh, my RK is carb.ed. I know that makes a difference.
Also, and pardon the rambling, but backfiring is alright. Kinda sounds cool as long as it isn't TOO bad. Does it cause any damage to the bike? I'm also sure it means you aren't getting the best gas milage you potentially could. Right? Thanks for you comments and others to follow. J.T.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.