V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading about V&H, Samson Ground Pounders, Longshots,SEII, etc. I've not read anything about Samson Rolled Thunder. I just got the B/S FLHRCI and had the stage I reflash and air filter done at the 1000 service. The dealer suggested The Sampson Rolled Thunder and I said OK. I'm the kind of customer H-D likes: fat, dumb and happy. What do you think of the Rolled Thunder Pipes (slip-ons)? Probably should have asked this before I put em on. I didn't get the torque cones -- should I have?

I wish there was some standered way to compare pipes -- torque gains, decibels, etc. I can't tell if I've gained any more umph from the stage one, but at least I don't think I've lost anything either. The sound is much better than stock and on a scale of 1-10, one being stock, I would put the sound level at about a 6. Its hard to tell the sound when your ridding the thing, I do better when I hear em go by.

I look forward to any input. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Hi Steve, I have a 03 Road King Classic coming this winter and I was also going to get the Samson slip ons, part #M-136=$349.93 list price. Do people put the mufflers on the bikes when they take delivery or should I wate till I get some miles on the bike?:confused: To me, a stock bike sounds like $hit;) Steve, welcome to the board:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Markcuda: I only waited until the 1000 mile service because they didn't have the Samsons in stock when I picked up the bike. I had the stage 1 done on my old bike when I picked it up new. I don't thik it makes any diffeerence when you do it -- might just as well do it when you first get the bike. I hated the first 1000 miles with stock pipes. The sound is an important part of the ride -- if they were electric nobody would buy them!

Thanks for the feedback JimmyK -- I now have more faith in my dealer. my dealer more.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
I just spoke with my dealer yesterday and he said that I should waite to put the mufflers on at the 1000 mile check up:eek: I said "You mean I have to listen to the stock $hit that long";) If I realy tried, I could put them miles on in a week:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Got a pair of Rolled Thunder Pipes last week (M144).

After going through some weeks of evaluation

-Wilp Pigs -> great sound, popping like crazy
-SE one piece -> no popping, sound - forget it (slightly louder than stock)

I finally got the Samsons.

Sound is ok, hope it gets a little louder after some miles, chrome and overall impression are really good, mounting hardware is crab and most important no back fire at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts