V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinion on Samson Long Slashers? Does anyone have those pipes or other Samson pipes on there V-Rod??? I also wanted to know if you get the V-Mods what other things do you have to get done to your V-Rod? Also do you think a dealer would put the V-Mods on for me and do whatever work I need done?

Thnks,
Harley4life

·
Registered
291 Posts
I cant speak as fact, as I have not seen the dynos, but everything I have read says the Samsons lose a LOT of horsepower, my dealer said 1 bike dropped 20%.

With the V-Mods, you can simply have your dealer download and install whats called a Stage 1 ECM, which runs about $149, then install the V-Mods. Stage 1 recalibrates the fuel injection, sort of like rejetting carbs as we all used to do on older Hogs. The total time for this should be only an hour of labor, The dealer should put them on, I had no problems at my dealer, and many others are as well. If they dont, find a new dealer to deal with.

Optionally, you can add in a Power Commander, some seem to be getting better numbers, but a Power commander will run you over 300 bucks.

Harley4Life said:
What is your opinion on Samson Long Slashers? Does anyone have those pipes or other Samson pipes on there V-Rod??? I also wanted to know if you get the V-Mods what other things do you have to get done to your V-Rod? Also do you think a dealer would put the V-Mods on for me and do whatever work I need done?

Thnks,
Harley4life

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
I started with Sampsons and after Much tunning made 103.6 rwhp.They our the loudest pipes out there,but that gets old in a week!Now I make 118+rwhp with the SuperTrapps.You be the judge.Alot of people on this board Swear by the V-MOD's. I haven't personally used them because I'm into the Custom thing and they look like stock pipes+ they wieght a Ton! Let us know what you do and how it went.
Good Luck!
Kaz..............:cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kaz, the v-mod muffs are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the stock mufflers. Your supertrapp replaces the entire exhaust (?), so you probably still have shared some weight off of stock exhaust.

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Mr.G,
no it's a half system.I would be interested in how much lighter than stock?Stock is a Tank!
Kaz.....

·
Registered
291 Posts
For reference, with V-Mods and Stage 1 and Screaming Eagle Air filter, I did 110 rear wheel horsepower. The Samsons I also heard were super loud, like open pipes. Factor in that and some of the poorest dyno marks I have seen and I stayed away. Its a shame, the short slashers were my first choice :( The Supertrapps are impressive, but the V-Mods will only cost you $325 for a new set, and keep your existing pipes if you dont like it, or $150 to have them modified. No, I dont work for them , I am just another happy V-Mod exhaust owner, you'll find plenty of us.

SuperKaz said:
I started with Sampsons and after Much tunning made 103.6 rwhp.They our the loudest pipes out there,but that gets old in a week!Now I make 118+rwhp with the SuperTrapps.You be the judge.Alot of people on this board Swear by the V-MOD's. I haven't personally used them because I'm into the Custom thing and they look like stock pipes+ they wieght a Ton! Let us know what you do and how it went.
Good Luck!
Kaz..............:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
While at the dealership having my Double Barrels put on a few weeks ago a guy came in on his Rod with the Samson Rip Saws. They looked good and the bike sounded like a conventional Big Twin with straight pipes at low RPMs. Sounded good, but not quite what I'm into coming from the land of R1's and TLR's. I guess if you just have to have that old Big Twin sound or the loudest bike on the road the Samsons are the way to go. If you want performance and a sound of performance, then you want something else. In the end, my dealer made the biggest statement about pipes on his personal Rod; he had Samsons, but pulled them off to replace them with the Double Barrels. In the end its your bike and your decision, since we all like different things. What sound do you like and at what performance level?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have Samson RipSaws on my 02 with Stage 1 and K&N. The reason I went with the RipSaws was that is what I run on my 89 Fxr.

Sound is incredible.....
Looks are breathtaking....
Comments abound....

Performance is sub stock. You sound like a ''Top Fuel'' bike but, you just don't have that front end getting lighter feeling any more. I have noticed that a greater amount of the anti-V-Rod Harley purist seem far more interested in the bike with the open non-baffled sound. It does all boil down to personal preference though. Even with a horsepower loss you still have more than enough there for a very enjoyable ride. I can't imagine a 20% loss but maybe 10%. But even with the loss I have left a few stunned looks on hardcore Harley riders faces. One in particular told me first it was not a ''real'' Harley and second it is just a little sportster that is streched as well as a few choice Porche comments. I replied if you can catch me I'll listen. After I proceeded to wipe his [email protected]# with my Rod, he couldn't shut up enough about the sound or the blurr as I went by. I let him pull the holeshot and get a few gears in before I poured it on so he couldn't use the '' I missed a shift'', or whatever line the loser's want to use.
He then had the nerve to ask me if he could take it out on a ride. I told him I only ''Spreken ze Duetche'' now and asked what was really in his $4000.00 103 cubic inch big bore kit, done by a proffesional who knew his sh#$. Also I had to take my lil'sporty home cause it was getting dark and only the BIG BOY Harleys can stay out late.
I still don't think his wife has stopped laughing at him yet.
I have some Supertrapps V-5 2 into 1's ordered and I will install them when they arrive. I know I will like the sound of the Samson's better but I think I need more of the Kick in the pants feeling from the added horsepower. One thing is for damn sure though. With the Ripsaws you absolutly can not sneek home. Don't even try it, cause I know.....Maybe I will see you out riding when my wife ungrounds me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think you'll love the Supertrapps IF you like the sound of Supertrapps. Yes, that could sound stupid, but they have a signature sound. Someone coming from crotch rockets to Harelys would probably love it. As for sound, thats what I heard, bad ass loud! I posted a video of the V-Mods, if you want to hear them. At idle, they sound like the double barrels, but the harder you go, the puder they get, to where it rattled my eardrums. Heres the thread:
http://209.151.86.249/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6678

I had a few make comments about the V-Rod too. Its idiotic pack mentality. I have won most over, but for a few I laugh back at them and ask why they accept the V-Twin, fuel injection or mag wheels, to name a few very major standard items found on newer bikes, yet are all bent over a little horsepower and liquid cooling. I told one guy once "they used to make horse drawn carriages with wooden wheels too". Bottom line, these guys should be proud of what Harley accomplished. I am.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts