V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know i am in the search for a new exhaust for my 03 dwg.
I thought a good place to start was the stealership. I asked them about samson pipes and before i could even get the whole sentence out he blasted me with Quote ( if you want to loose horsepower thats what i would put on my bike) V&H & Hooker are the way to go he preached.

1. Well what do ya all think I like the samson pipes are they up to snuff with these other top brands?

2. Please post pics of your DWG exhaust system & help me figure this out.

Happy New Year !

skno

·
Registered
60 Posts
SKNO,
I too asked my stealer about Samson pipes, I love the look of the short slashers, haven't been able to get much feedback on them but the dealer immediately shot them down. I am told mostly because HD is in bed with Vand H. Would appreciate any feedback on the performance of these if anyone has installed them. I've got an 03 Heritage and desperately need pipes before spring...any feedback on rinehart pipes would be appreciated also.

Merry Xmas all!!

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Samson's first generation Big Guns are 2 1/4" straight pipes, therefor are low end torque robbers. Horsepower on the other hand is made in the upper RPM range and the free flow aspect of the large diameter straight pipes is actually a benefit at WFO. For practicalities sake, most individuals do not spend much time hanging around above 5250 RPM.

·
Registered
335 Posts
on my sporty my samsons boosted hp. i think, no dyno but it sure runs a hell of a lot better. a lot of people told me the samsons would steal hp but the bike runs fukin awesome

·
963 Posts
I plan to order a set of new big gun 2 ripsaws for my '01 deuce this week. I will get the torque cones I think.=Rob

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting!

No one is really defending Samson.( Ripsaws are my choice)maybe the
stealer is right.

But no one is saying they suck either. I need more input! And how about some Pics of your exhaust system.dwg

skno

·
Registered
727 Posts
I got street sweepers on my '00 Fatboy. Re-jetted the carb, added a
free flow air cleaner (SE), and boosted the HP to boot. I got no
complaints with the Sampson pipes. And my neighbor? hell, he says
it's a sweet alarm clock at 6:00 A.M.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Oh ya, by the way, if you run the Sampson pipes, do yourself a favor and
install a set of cones with them. They don't have to be the high dollar
Sampson cones, cuz they all do the same thing. I did notice a difference
after I installed the cones.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I failed to mention I also have the Street Sweepers with AR cones on my suped up 95" FXDX. No complaints here since the thing makes so much power the minute torque loss isn't really an issue. I plan to add custom baffles to remedy this small concern anyway.

The pipes are great if you like 'em loud!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Do your Homework! Take a look at the THUNDERHEADER!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fulldraw this was the only info i could find on the thunderheader so far but i will continue my homework. thanks for all the tips.

The Dyno tests
The Xccelerator vs. the ThunderHeader
th
5/28/2002

Click to enlarge dyno chart
In an effort to become the best exhaust manufacturer on the market, Hard-Krome has been extensively testing our line on the dynamometer. Countless hours in our new state-of-the-art dyno room will ensure not only will your pipes look good but they will also perform better than anything else.

We wanted to offer the best 2-into-1’s on the market. With so many other exhausts available, we knew that our pipes had to be unique. A pipe that performs well but detracts from the overall look of the bike would not be the answer. It has to look as nice as it performs. We started out with our patented Double Wall construction. The outer pipe has a vented back, which allows the hot air to flow out and the cool air in. This allows the chrome to stay perfect from day one. A guarantee we stick to. This eliminates the hassle of bolt-on heatshields. You don’t have to worry about rattling or broken hose clamps.
The ThunderHeader has been considered the #1 2-into-1 system for your Harley. We decided that in order to be number one we had to beat number one. We started with a 2000 Fat Boy 88B twin cam for our testing. We added a Dynojet Stage 1 jet kit and a Rivera Smoothie air filter. The initial dyno test showed the stock Fat Boy put out 65.6 horsepower and 76.6 ft.-lbs. of torque.
Next we installed the 2-into-1 ThunderHeader. The ThunderHeader showed a peak horsepower of 72.8 and 82 ft.-lbs of torque. The pipe performs quite well. The gain in overall horsepower was 7.2 horsepower. During the test we noticed some discoloration at the collector and carbon deposits at the rear of the pipe.
Finally we installed the Hard-Krome 2-into-1 Xccelerator on the Fat Boy. Installing the pipes was a snap. Without having to add bolt-on heatshields aided in the ease of installation. We knew it was going to be tough to outperform the ThunderHeader. And yet, we were able to gain a max horsepower of 73.4. That’s a gain of almost 8 horsepower by simply installing the pipes. Not too bad. Overall torque was the same as the ThunderHeader. With 4 ft.-lbs of added torque, the 2-into-1 Xccelerator will help you off the line.
All in all, we were quite impressed on how the 2-into-1 Xccelerator performed. We were able to gain an advantage in horsepower over the ThunderHeader by a full horsepower. At last a product that performs as well as anything on the market and it will not discolor. We are so confident that our pipes will not discolor we are offering a 1-year guarantee against blueing. Why settle for anything less?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I RUN SAMSONS (TRUE DUALS) ON MY CURRENT BIKE AND ALSO HAD THEM ON MY OLD SOFTAIL (STREET SWEEPERS). THEY DO NOT ROB HP, BUT AS STATED ABOVE YOU NEED TO ASSESS YOUR OWN RIDING, 2 INTO 2 PIPES WILL HAVE THE MOST GAIN AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. CHECK OUT www.jirehcycle.com THEY ARE ABOT THE CHEAPEST FOR ON LINE ORDERING AND ORDERS OVER 75.00 SHIP FREE.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've got Samson Big Gun-Daytonas on my 02 Fatboy along with the high flow breather and remap. Once it is in the high revs,this bike rocks ....but in the low revs, I consider it kind of slow .If you want loud,these pipes will tickle your fancy!

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
I ran sampsons on my v-rod and made 103.2rwhp with my ears bleeding!They are SUPER LOUD!Put on a set of SuperTrapp V-5 2into1 and gain 10rwhp.Did a little tuning on my Techlusion TFI Box and made 118.6 rwhp and 84.3rwtq.Thats a gain of 15+rwhp and 10+ftlbtq.I had the Sampsons tune on the dyno also!The ST's aren't as loud but my bike is SportBike fast Now!
Kaz..............

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the buzz on the pipes!!! no pun intended!!!!

I cant make up my mind on a set of pipes so for now i am just putting on a set of cycle shack slip ons with the yost tube and se II hi flow air cleaner.
Picked them up yeaterday Merry X mas to me:D

I wil start the modifications soon in the TC 88 tech forum i will post pics of the carb set up and AC instalation. drill out the plug insert the needle ect.

skno

·
963 Posts
Hey y'all!
Old Rob here. I just wanted to post that I have installed a set of Big gunII Ripsaws on my deuce. I really like them. I had the PythonIII's on there before. They seem to let the engine rev quicker if you can believe that. I think it is due to the billet cones I installed in the headpipes. The pythons are basically a straight through pipe with a Very thin nonremovable baffle in the end. Also the Bigguns are a smaller diameter pipe at 1 3/4" all the way to the tip, only the sheilds are 2 1/4".
I would have to say with the cones these ripsaws helped my bike, not hurt the performance. Just my 2 cents-Rob

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Ol Rob,

The performance enhancement you're experiencing with these pipes is most likely largely due to the 1 3/4" ID and AR cones. Free flowing enough to let the engine breathe and just enough restriction to give you the bottom end grunt.

Some folks have had issues with Samson pipes. However, I am quite pleased with mine.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
fulldraw said:
Do your Homework! Take a look at the THUNDERHEADER!
That's the one !!!!!!! If you can stomach the 2 into 1 pipes. Up here that's the one I hear everyone talking about. My bud is putting a set on his Evo if ya can wait 2 months to hear my opinion of them. 2 mos. because he's rebuilding the motor and other stuff.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts