V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first. let me introduce myself. im tim and my scoot is a 2005, 1200 sporty custom. i just put on a set of samson big gun 3's and im totally impressed with the sound and performance. engine is pretty much stock, other than SE high flow air breather, thungers slide, and went from .170 main jett to to .190,(i didnt have a .185) a tad rich but she performs well and pulls hard in all throttle positions. i would recommend these pipes to anyone. NOTE: i went with the street sweepers, so i would tell anyone who goes with this setup to make sure they have plenty of ground clearance for the bottom pipe. i just barely scratched my new pipes already on a sharp right turn.yea it really @#$%%$$#@ me off!

·
Ride It, whatever it is!
244 Posts
Tim, Welcome to the forum. I had heard of spotty quality with Samson but that didn't stop me from buying a set of BGII"s last year, same as yours Street Sweepers. Put them on and loved them until a week later when I looked under the heat shields and saw the chrome bubbling off of the header pipe. Took them off and picked up a set of V&H Big Shot Shorts for my Superglide. I loved the look of the Street Sweepers but the quality wasn't there. Hopefully Samson took care of any quality issues with the BGIII's. But just want to let you know of my experience. Take Care.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey joe, thanks for the welcome, reply and the info. i had heard of the the previous issues with samson, but according to samson, the new big guns III"s are supposed to be better than I and II's on the bluing issue. i dont know how much hype or truth is invovled in either case. i do know they no longer need any reducers to gain back lower end torque cause the header is stepped from 1 3/4 to 2 1/8 and they have a "metal" baffle with no fiberglass or packing (to muffle)but to just add to add extra backpressure along with the stepped header.i actually gained a few ponys with the samsons. i was running stock headers with seII slip-ons. i do know the heat sheilds are of better quality than the big guns I and II"s as they are permanently "fixed" to the pipe and wrap around the header 220 degrees. no tabs to break. i believe VH did the same as well this go round. i live in illinois and dont have a winshield so i havnt had the chance to do a lot of riding yet to tell what the results are going to be with the bluing issue. i will be looking for that though since you have mentioned it. ill have to take off the pipe to see as the new heat shield covers most of the header. how are the VH holding up? i almost went with the VH straight shots, but like you, i liked the look of the sweepers so went with the samsons. i hope i dont regret throwing away 400 dollars on the samsons but so far so good on performance and sound................ i think ill have a beer and think about riding. i hate winter. at least the beer is good..............again, thanks joe for the reply and input........... tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts