V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....here it is. Just installed the "Rip Saws" on my 2002 Fatboy, stock with and air cleaner kit and techlusion TFI

Installation and contruction..

Pros-
-Superb chrome job...rivals anything I have seen
-Permanent heat shields are nicely wilded to the pipes 2.5" O.D.
-Perfect fit and finish....the things fell right into place
-Support backet for rear of pipes is nicely designed and lightweight.
-permanent spiral louvered baffles (classic samason)
-Pipes are lightweight yet extremely rigid.

Cons-
-Permanent heat shields make a few of the head studs hard to get to and hard to install the flanges.
-No exhaust port gaskets inculded
-So called "stepped pipe" is nothing more than 1.75 pipe into 2.25 baffle body

First ride-
-SOUND is absolutely SWEET! Sound similar to V&H Big Shots but deeper and no rasp.
-pipes pull hard to redline with a little loss down low (below 2000)
-A little more frame resonance (can feel a little more tingle in the seat)
-pipes sound "right" at every Rpm.
-No Fuel adjustments needed on my TFI,from what I was running before (S.E. slips)
-No leaks or suprises after the installation.

It seems Samson has stepped up to the plate with these pipes to create a product that rivals any other system out there as far as quality, fit and finish. And of course price...which is much less than any other system of this caliber.

-Doug

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Sounds like the same construction as the Hooker Troublemakers. If I am understanding right, the pipe steps into, or connected with a single walled muffler body. That leaves the last third of the pipe single walled.
Some may be comfortable with this, but I prefer a total coverage heat shield.
Summer heat will be the true test. We'll see if the muffler holds it's chrome, or if the single wall chrome yellows under hot, stop and go traffic.

·
BlueSkiesandTailwinds
188 Posts
I'm looking very seriously at these.

It appears that the "step" is to 2.25 and the OD is 2.50. So that sounds like an actual heat shield over the muffler. Is this correct or will the muffler possibly be a concern for bluing??

Later

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That is correct. There is 2.50" heat shielding over the entire length (from head pipe to end of muffler body. Both 1.75 and 2.25 lenghts of pipe are 100% covered, so there should not be any issue with blueing.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Sorry for the confusion.
I ordered a set of Hooker Troublemakers, and sent them right back after looking them over. They claim a seemless heat shield, but their build process actually uses the outer pipe heatshield as the last third of the pipe.
A weird set up, to say the least. It sounded to me like the Samson III's were the same build.
After the Big Radius, my next favorite is the Rip Saws..

·
DILLIGAF
35 Posts
Big Gun 3's

I also just installed some BG3 Street Sweepers on my ride. They sound "sweet". Quality fit and finish.

:cheers:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pipes

I hade the Samson ground pounders on a while back.
I really liked the way they looked and sounded.
They were stepped at the head also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
so far so good

first. let me introduce myself. im tim and my scoot is a 2005, 1200 sporty custom. i just put on a set of samson big gun 3's and im totally impressed with the sound and performance. engine is pretty much stock, other than SE high flow air breather, thunder slide, and went from .170 main jett to to .190,(i didnt have a .185) a tad rich but she performs well and pulls hard in all throttle positions. i would recommend these pipes to anyone. According to samson, the new big guns III"s are supposed to be better than I and II's on the bluing issue. i dont know how much hype or truth is invovled in either case. i do know they no longer need any reducers to gain back lower end torque cause the header is stepped from 1 3/4 to 2 1/8<(for the sportys)2.25 for the twins and they have a "metal" baffle with no fiberglass or packing (to muffle)but to just add to add extra backpressure along with the stepped header.i actually gained a few ponys with the samsons. i was running stock headers with seII slip-ons. i do know the heat sheilds are of better quality than the big guns I and II"s as they are permanently "fixed" to the pipe and wrap around the header 220 degrees. no tabs to break. i believe VH did the same as well this go round. i live in illinois and dont have a winshield so i havnt had the chance to do a lot of riding yet to tell what the results are going to be with the bluing issue. but so far so good on performance and sound............. NOTE: i went with the street sweepers, so i would tell anyone who goes with this setup to make sure they have plenty of ground clearance for the bottom pipe. i just barely scratched my new pipes already on a sharp right turn.yea it really @#$%%$$#@ me off!
i think ill have a beer and think about riding. i hate winter. at least the beer is good..........

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
I have an '06 Dyna Low Rider with Samson Big Guns III. At the time they were the only manufacturer that made the long, straight, and evenly square cut ends. There were lots of slash cuts and staggered, but I wanted even straight cut. Ordered from Eastern Performance, shipped promptly, 3500 miles, no problems. Might be a little loud for me though. Anyone know how to quiet them down a bit?

·
Banned
17,239 Posts
since there are now 2 threads on the same issue...

I'll paste my previous reply here...
well, it's been a year since my last post in this thread but since you renewed it..... Samson quality sucks. I'll never get anymore Samson. The rubber mounted Dyna engine was too much for these pipes. First it broke the header pipe on the 2>1 Caliber and now it broke all of the welds on the heat shield that the hose clamps fit through to hold it onto the pipe. So when the little clamp thingies were welded back on it messed up the chrome. So...here's what I did. My mechanic is a master welder so he welded in a crossover piece up close to where the header pipes grow apart to reach the jugs. It's a real tight space, maybe less than half an inch. Boy, howdy, that really picked up the performance. Crossovers are there for a reason, guys, and that's why 2>1 are better performers. Since my fxdx has the black engine I wrapped the pipes in muffler wrap and spray painted it black with manifold paint. Looks kinda cool, no chrome to polish, and performs well.
As mentioned earlier, the auxillary baffles added into it makes the noise level tolerable.
The extra baffles had to be shimmed up a bit to fit without rattling. The 2 holes were drilled through the pipe into the baffle so screws would hold it in place. Once again the Dyna vibration worked the screws loose so they were welded in and covered with the muffler tape.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just installed BUB's Jug Hugger's on my '07 Street Bob. I'm pretty picky and these pipes look, fit, perform and sound GREAT. I had head that bub had some quality issues. Well these are awesome. They have the full coverage heat shields that really give the pipe a fat look. I have received numerous compliments on them, very happy. Highly recommended. I purchased mine from American Classic Motors, you can find them on E-bay but call them and deal direct. Saved over a $100 from MSRP.:clap:

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
SAMPSON is JUNK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a set of Sampsons for my Ultra. I also spent the extra for all of the chrome covers. When the covers came, one of the covers were missing. I contacted Sampson. They said the replacement was on the way. I never got it. Within 2 months of mounting the pipes, I heard a rattle. The upper mount was broken. I kept trying to talk to anyone at Sampson about both problems. After the second call, they stopped answering my phone calls. I went to the Sampson tent at rallys. They said to call or write the company. I wrote to them several times. I never got an answer.
I tell everyone I see, NEVER buy from Sampson.
If they are the last vender left on earth, I will go stock or nothing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts