V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally committed. After all the posts asking questions about exhausts I purchased the Sampson Caliber 2-1 ($413 at Cylespot.com). Hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the .... I sure do appreciate all the input from you guys.

Does anyone have any pics of this pipe on an Eglide?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
I'll try to get a better one later today. This is one about 2/3s done.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
....a little better, got snow so inside is the best I can do.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really appreciate the pics. If it's not too much trouble would you take one from the back?

How's it going together so far? Decent quality?

Rick

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
The quality is good, very good actually. The fit is also very good, thought I'd have a tussle match going around the jugs, but it slipped right into place. The clamps on the shields can be a bit testing around the cone and the tranny cover but overall good. My pain in the a$$ was removing the stock hanger, you must remove the oil filler and trans cover to get to a couple bolts.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hogg831 said:
The quality is good, very good actually. The fit is also very good, thought I'd have a tussle match going around the jugs, but it slipped right into place. The clamps on the shields can be a bit testing around the cone and the tranny cover but overall good. My pain in the a$$ was removing the stock hanger, you must remove the oil filler and trans cover to get to a couple bolts.
Looks good. The trans cover has to come off anyways as I'm installing the 06 clutch ramps. The other cover screws are coming off also as I purchased all SS 12 points bolts for the motor.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Hey Rick,
2 1/2" and extends 2" beyond the bag.

·
Banned
17,238 Posts
I've had them on my Dyna for a year. Notice "them" plural. With the Dyna floating engine there was so much vibration that the front header split about 4 inches from the port. Samson with good customer service replaced them. Last week the front header broke again, about 1 inch from the port. There is only 1 bracket holding it on and it is at the far end. This causes too much stress at the manifold. They really need another bracket in the middle. Also, the brackets on the heat shields also were braking. So we welded them on better, ruining the chrome, so then we bead blasted the chrome off and painted high-temp manifold black. With the black engine of the fxdx it looked really cool. Great sounding pipes and dynoed very well. I will miss them. Samson is replacing it with the Big Guns-3 Canon model. I'm hoping the bracket system is better and maybe lighter. I wish they would improve the mounting of the Caliber.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fred1369 said:
I'm hoping the bracket system is better and maybe lighter. I wish they would improve the mounting of the Caliber.
I sure hope I have better luck. I do know they have 2 mounting points on the Eglides. Time will tell I guess.

Rick

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Rick, Fred....yes the set for the Touring models has a mount bracket in the center. It bolts in the place of the stock one on the tranny.

Thanks VB05Custom, your critique provided a great amount of useful information. I am sure all appreciate it.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
I've fired it but haven't had an opportunity to make a run with them. Hard to judge the sound in the garage. They are not obnoxious, but they do crack under throttle.

I'll try to post an update later if no one else does before. We just got dumped with 3" of snow, so the hope for early riding just went out the window.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hogg831 said:
I've fired it but haven't had an opportunity to make a run with them. Hard to judge the sound in the garage. They are not obnoxious, but they do crack under throttle.

I'll try to post an update later if no one else does before. We just got dumped with 3" of snow, so the hope for early riding just went out the window.
I hope to have my 98" build done by this weekend. Then I'll have a chance to hear them. Maybe even start breaking it in as it looks like it might hit 50 next weekend.

I'm a little concerned it might be a little to loud. With the 98" I was advised to use the larger baffle. I put a couple wraps of fiberglass muffler wrap on it before I stuffed it in the pipe. Maybe it will help.

Have you had to deal with the tech line at Sampson? Jeesh....... what a pain.

Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
caliber 2 into 1

Hey everybody, I've been lurking around for a while hoping someone would post something about the caliber 2 into 1, anyway I bought one for my 99 dresser & installed it at the same time I did the big bore-203 cams-air cleaner & stage 2 ecm with power commander. I have not finished tuning but after stock pipes this thing is loud, I installed the smaller baffle because the large one is really loud. The pipe has a really nice tough sound at idle with a lot of bark under power, I think I can get used to them, fit & finish is pretty good.
had to shim rt floorboard out about 1/4 inch to clear the fat heat shield, they really look good on the bike, as far as long lasting, I guess we'll see.
[my 2 cents]-

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Cool Thanks motorboy! My right board was already shimmed due to running the V&H duals. Glad you mentioned it, it isn't included with the Caliber instructions.

Rick, I think with the 95" and the large baffle, they would be loud! I had thought about the wrap, but decided to wait 'til I actually had some road time. Haven't had to deal with their Techs yet, hopefully I won't have to, but thanks for the heads-up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.