V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote the other day how oil was coming out of my airfilter and smoking out the exhaust.
After cleaning the bike a couple of day later i started it and it ran fine, no smoke , oil or missing.
I took it for a ride and it ran fine awhile , then it started smoking really bad and oil pouring out of the airfilter again., it popped the oil tank cap out. Seems to me the engines pressurizing itrself. It's not a new oil filter. I have a HD oil cooler.
Why would the engine all the sudden start building pressure.

·
Twist it, pop it, burn it
161 Posts
Is it overfilled, or lines somehow cross connected maybe. Oil pump spring..damn I havent ever heard this happen, but there are some really knowledgeable folks in here...

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never touched the lines was about a half a quart low.
It never lost oil pressure but it blew 2 and a hsalf quarts out . thank god i had extra oil with the oil cooler.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Mori,

You might want to check out the oil pump. You may have lost the scavenge side of the pump. Another member just had the exact same symptoms. And the pump was one of the causes. If your pump has failed and it's scored up you need to find the cause.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Man I know it sucks when **** like this happens to an engine you've spent so much time & money on...I'm no expert by a long shot, so take it for what it cost, but it sounds like the oil return from the rockers got clogged somehow. Butterfly valves maybe? For starters I think I'd get the rockerbox covers off & see what things look like in there...

VicW.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Sleeps In Trees said:
Man I know it sucks when **** like this happens to an engine you've spent so much time & money on...I'm no expert by a long shot, so take it for what it cost, but it sounds like the oil return from the rockers got clogged somehow. Butterfly valves maybe? For starters I think I'd get the rockerbox covers off & see what things look like in there...

VicW.
I had the same thought.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Most important is to find out whether the oil comes from the breather system into the engine or from the engine into the outside world. If you let the engine run, you should be able to see where the oil comes from, from breather tubes or out of the carb/EFI mouth. If that's not telling you the story, then

Check you plugs for oil traces, if OK pull cam cover and check the residual oil volume in the cam chest. If more than half a cup, take apart oil pump for inspection

If plugs show some oil, do a leak down test to confirm condition of top end. A broken piston ring or a damaged cylinder wall can build pressure in the crank case and push oil out of the oil system.

These are the two basic things you can do right away. Another remote option is a plugged up umbrella valve in the head, but this comes gradually and not out of sudden.

Hope that helps a bit

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Scotty if your out there, Help this guy out. sounds like the same thiing that was happening to mine. you need to isolate weather the oil is going into or out of you throttle body. If you can take the hoses off your your throttle body, leave them hooked to your engine breathers, wire tie them back and then take it for a ride, Run it pretty hard for about 15 minutes then look at your side cover or exaust for oil

Ride Safe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts