V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been hemming and hawing back and forth about which seat to get for our 2003 FXDL. The badlander stock seat is not very comfortable for my wife. We wanted to get a Mustang but saw a good deal on the Saddlemen Explorer with backrest and thought the gell would be a nice feature to have.

Unfortunately the quality control of Saddlemen appears to be very poor. We ended up getting 3 of the seats (all defective). The first one was ripped where the cover goes over the seatpan. The second had stitching ripped out on the backrest and discoloration on the backrest cover material. The third had a messed up bracket on the backrest and the covering on the bracket had a tear.

Luckily (or so I thought) I still had the second seat at the house because it hadn't been picked up by UPS yet. I was able to mix and match parts to get a complete good seat. I went to install the seat on the bike and it doesn't fit the bike. It's not like the seat is for another bike - it just doesn't want to go on the bike properly (for a number of reasons) no matter how much I mess with it. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I guess we should have gone with the Mustang to begin with. In addition, paperwork from the manufacturer was inconsistent (one box had a warranty sheet, the others didn't; one box had instructions - which didn't help - another didn't, etc....)

The only positive experience has been that we ordered the seat through Dennis Kirk. Their customer service has been very helpful so far. I still have to reserve final judgement since we don't have final resolution yet but they have been very willing to take the defective seats back and pay for shipping. I'm glad the weather is still crappy here.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Sorry to hear about those problems. Mustang makes a quality seat. I have a Saddlemen Road Sofa with gel pad that has been on my bike for over 3 years and about 55,000 miles. Quality was excellent when I got it and have had no problems with it since new. I did order directly from Saddlemen with no middle man. Maybe that's the diff as I have not heard many complaints about their work.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I have two different saddlemen seats that I switch on and off of my Wideglide. They both have gel inserts, are very comfortable, and I consider them to be the best purchases I ever made for my bike. I had tried Corbin, LePera, and Harley seats and found the Saddlemen to be superior. You mentioned that you bought from Dennis Kirk. I have seen Dennis Kirk recently selling lots of Saddlemen blemished seconds very cheap on ebay. Maybe they sold some to you at full price. I woud do what the previous poster suggested and try buying direct from Saddlemen. Good luck, to me a comfortable seat is the most important part of a bike.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had a saddelmen on my 84 lowrider, I loved it she hated it, that was in97 and 98. It was very well made then. Now I have a saddlemen for the sporty, its just me riding it. The Ultra's for both of us :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We got the Mustang vintage wide seat and we love it. There were no problems with it and it went right on the bike. My wife and I went for the first ride of the season and went 200 miles this last Saturday. We got kind of sore in many places EXCEPT for our butts. Our butts were the least sore body part :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.