V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know who can restore saddlebags for a decent price? Mine are the original quick disconnect bags (1995 FXDS-CONV).

Thanks!

·
Banned
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hawg1 said:
Check out gotsaggybags.com
Best thing I did for my Heritage bag
Thanks for the info. I'll keep this site in mind. I didn't see anything about restoration, though. Just inserts. The problem with my saddlebags isn't that they are sagging (actually, they are supposed to since they aren't hard bags), but rather the leather needs conditioning, softening, and dyeing, and some snaps installed. The edges have been curling up because they are so dried out. Possibly some new hardware too since the current parts are getting a bit rusty. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Anyone else have any suggestions for leather conditioning or restoration?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Believe it or not I've had good luck using a local shoemaker (shoe repair) in our city for the restoration aand repair of various leather items over the years. Hope this helps.
RCL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Start by conditioning them yourself. and see how much life comes back into them. Get some Bick 4 conditioner, that should do the trick.

http://www.bickmore.com/bickmore/leather_care/

Regarding dying, I would dye them myself if you really want to die them. But then if it were me, I would just leave them alone. You may find that after you clean and condition them with some bick4 that they don't need dying. A lot of times the whiteness or fading you are seeing is buildup of crappy products that don't belong on leather like armor-all.

You could probably do the snaps yourself too but any good shoe repair or alterations shop can do it. Most decent sized towns have will have a place that specializes in leather repair.

Do as much as you can yourself then you'll know how to care for them properly and never have to worry about fixing them again. 11 year old leather shouldn't need to be repaired if it's taken care of.

·
Banned
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions!

Last winter, I tried conditioning them with Leather CPR. It softened them up a little, but eventually they ended up drying out and curling again after several rides in the rain. No matter how much waterproofing I use, they still seem to soak up some water.

I will need to dye them. A lot of the color has worn off down to the natural color of the leather. These bags have seen some hard use over the years. I ride in just about any kind of weather, from sub-zero temps and snow/rain here in NY, to the very hot, dry weather when I lived in Texas and Kansas. I used to pack ice and beer in them (and dead fish) when I went fishing. I know that didn't help much.... but it seemed like a good idea at the time. :whistle:

I think I will try to do what I can, but will also check our local shoe repair shop. I just emailed Bick's, asking them which of their products they recommend. I can put the snaps on myself, I'll just have to order some online. This little town doesn't have squat for stores... we have a very limited selection of just about everything! I might have to go to Vermont or Montreal to find what I need. Good excuse for a nice ride this weekend. The temps are supposed to hit the 50s!!!!! :)

Thanks again folks!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
You might look for a Tack and Saddle shop around you; the local saddle maker helped me with my bags (on another bike) and had the proper products and tools to make it a perfect repair for a fair price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts