V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find the post that had the part number for the saddlebag latch spring. The dealer here says that they aren't sold....~!Awesome! you gotta buy the whole latch which is BS. Does anyone know the part number and thanks?
Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
My spring has been broke for a while. the things looks welded together to me is yours? If so do you have to cut it off to replace it?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
mirpaw said:
My spring has been broke for a while. the things looks welded together to me is yours? If so do you have to cut it off to replace it?
You don't have to cut anything. The hinge has one end welded but the other end is just crimped a little. use a small screw driver and a needle nose pliers to get the pin out of the hinge. It is a pain in the a$$ to replace the spring and it took me an hour to figure it out and that was using the factory service manual. Much easier to open the saddle bags with the spring fixed.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It's easy to replace...with 3 hands!
The dealer replaced mine under warranty.but the spring was not under tension.I had to remove it and put it back in correctly.BE patient!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Teflon Tom said:
I can't find the post that had the part number for the saddlebag latch spring. The dealer here says that they aren't sold....~!Awesome! you gotta buy the whole latch which is BS. Does anyone know the part number and thanks?
Tom
Don't forget to ask for the apology. I love setting the dealer straight. Mine never questions me anymore.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Teflon Tom said:
Tom
You mean you want me to have to look at the expanded blow up on my 24" screen and then squint my eyes to look up a 50 cent part when I can sell you some brand new china made $hit instead????? Let's seeeeeeee........$80 vs. fitty cent, $80 vs. fitty cent. "That'll be $80 puhleeeeeze, cuz they don't make just the spring". (Somehow that latch sorta 'grows' the spring, I guess, cuz they can never find them) You must shop at the same 'stealer' as I uusta.

·
Still in one piece
269 Posts
Has anyone found a source which makes a better quality spring? I go through a couple a year. And always I see signs of rust at the failure point.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
spring

mine broke a long time ago -i have a new spring but never fooled with it -i thought u had to grind small weld off end of rod then replace spring then re spot weld ? this kind of thing is poor -so are all there bolts that rust on the motor -i sent harley a letter -they dont care-lol

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
First of all, a parts guy that says they don,t sell just the spring is full of ****!!! There is no real dealer here, just a satelite store and they had the spring in stock...$3. Ya, it is kind of a hassle replacing the spring (took less than an hour) but, I am pretty sure it would have had an hour's charge in the service department.

Bwana01

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
SS Spring

I am interested in ss spring if anyone finds it I had both mine replaced under warranty which i no longer have ,The stealer side i must wash my bike alot because of the failure yeh right. Oh by the way the both are now broken.so i just deal

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
i called the mother ship in Milwaukee they said no upgrade and didnt know there was a problem -women was real nice but no fix cant find aftermarket spring -looks easy to make with right tools -im going to google springs -brb-lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I was able to replace the spring. What a PITA!
It helps if you're a surgeon and have dental tools.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wanted to bring this to the top,as I am a springmaker by trade.If i could sell these made out of type 302 stainless,would there be a market for them? Cost we be around 2-3 bucks... ..let me know if there is any interest!

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I wanted to bring this to the top,as I am a springmaker by trade.If i could sell these made out of type 302 stainless,would there be a market for them? Cost we be around 2-3 bucks... ..let me know if there is any interest!
Sounds intresting. Let us know when you do.

·
What, me worry?
200 Posts
I'd be interested, too.

Even though I can replace the spring in about ten minutes now without even taking the bag off the bike.

·
Registered
143 Posts
saddle bag latch springs

I'm interested. I'll take 4, two for each of my girlfriends :beer:

I'm also tired of all the rust in the hinge!

let me know.

Thanks, rkk

1 - 20 of 93 Posts